No announcement yet.

Copperhead study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was raised in rural Northwest Harris county in the 60’s and 70’s in the pines and yaupons. Tons of copper heads and water snakes/copperheads. My farm in centerville had both too

My experience with copperheads says some will run and some just lay there and let you accidentally get your hands or feet in striking distance. We killed hundreds of them in the yard. Every wood or brush pile was a good chance to encounter one.

Moccasins would seldom flee like the water snakes. No really aggressive in my experience. I hated them ‘cause I bank fished a lot of tanks and would come upon them resting/sunning near the waters edge. I smelled a few before I saw them. Never killed many of them ‘cause I was fishing and never had a firearm handy.

Interesting study, but I ain’t giving either species a pass.
    Thanks for the link

Comment

Yeah......every coppermouthcoralrattler I see will get a free ride out of this life! I have too many kids running around my place to worry about. King Snake is the only that gets a pass from me.

Comment

Screw them camoed bastages

Comment

Must have been a 3%'R on my porch the other night

I am not killing every snake I see anymore but I am killing every copperhead and watermoccasin I cross paths with

Comment

To me that study is flawed. Snakes use heat to sense movement. If theyre using a unoccupied boot or glove to study a snakes reaction, theres a good chance that the snake doesnt see the object as alive.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
              To me that study is flawed. Snakes use heat to sense movement. If theyre using a unoccupied boot or glove to study a snakes reaction, theres a good chance that the snake doesnt see the object as alive.
              Good point DD.

Comment

I had Hedges against front of house for 35y or so Killed 4-6 copperheads in and around them a year.I think they were drawn to hedges for Camelons and Geckos that lived and sunbathed in them few years ago I pulled all hedges and put white rocks..Aint seen a copperhead since...

Comment

If they’re so gentle why didn’t they just use their own hands and feet? Was that article written by Biden’s press secretary?

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
                    i don't know about that study; to me the most aggressive pit viper is the cotton mouth.
                    and a copperhead will sit there and let you step on them and then bite the **** out of you.

just my life experience... had a few close calls but never been bitten by any venomous snake though.
                    I agree with you. I have tons of cottonmouths and copperheads on my place. I've seen the cottonmouths actually gang up and come after something in the water or on the banks. And I've seen Lonesome Dove! I've seen cottonmouths do exactly what they did in that movie, although not quite as many snakes.

And copperheads, I used to pick them up a lot. When handled gently, they are pretty docile and I will give them an opportunity to leave the area. If they don't ... too bad, so sad.

Comment

That’s an odd study. I would have liked them to simulate a real life scenario. Like someone walking at a normal pace, coming right up on the snake and stepping on it. Not gently laying a boot next to it or on it.

And, they didn’t disclose the reactions of the snakes in relation to temperature. That would have been interesting.

Comment

Oh that article will produce much butt hurt here. Nothing tougher than grown men panicking over a small reptile.

Comment

Seems like a flawed test, but there’s still plenty to be learned from the fact that they screwed with almost 70 snakes and only a couple bit. I’ve seen lots of videos of people messing with water moccasins as well, and they’re also clearly reluctant to bite, and never go after people, regardless of the fact that people swear that cottonmouths have “chased” them several times.

Comment

Just because a scorpion isnt agressive doesnt mean i dont kill it, same goes for all venomous snakes at my residence. None are on the verge of extinction, and there are plenty non-venomous ones that can keep their place in the ecosystem moving. My families lives are more important than making snake lovers happy. One bite is all it takes, so still purging evil around our place.

Comment

I have plenty of copperhead here, not so many around the house now with all the feral cats that hang around. I have actually picked one up that was laying under a 2x4 that I picked up. All that joker wanted to do was get away. And he did!!! Cause I threw him as far as I did with the 2x4!!!
                              Been around a few timber rattlers at my place in east Texas and have yet seen one strike. Watched my brother play with one and never struck even though he tried to make him.
                              Have walked up on water moccasins and had them hiss at me like a mad cat. Cottonmouths don’t get a pass!!

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                                Seems like a flawed test, but there’s still plenty to be learned from the fact that they screwed with almost 70 snakes and only a couple bit. I’ve seen lots of videos of people messing with water moccasins as well, and they’re also clearly reluctant to bite, and never go after people, regardless of the fact that people swear that cottonmouths have “chased” them several times.
                                When my son was 5-6 we came across a CM coiled up next to a cypress stump. We took a knee about 4 feet from it and I gave my boy a lesson. I poked that thing, tapped it on the head gently and all it ever did was open his mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X