No announcement yet.

Aluminum Boat Rec.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out Boswell airboat thread. They did a hella job on the paint.

As for the bottom, GatorGlide. Owner is top notch guy!! I'm about to put some on a skiff

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

i do t think you could powder coat it never get it clean enough and the oven would cook all the foam out of it
      get it sandblasted (the rough texture holds paint way better) they also make an etching primer for aluminum that prepares the metal to bond with the paint then use a good epoxy paint and you’ll be good to go
      i did mine in 1993 and the paint stool looks good and it sits outside most of the time

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
        i do t think you could powder coat it never get it clean enough and the oven would cook all the foam out of it
        get it sandblasted (the rough texture holds paint way better) they also make an etching primer for aluminum that prepares the metal to bond with the paint then use a good epoxy paint and you’ll be good to go
        i did mine in 1993 and the paint stool looks good and it sits outside most of the time

Thats a good point. I never even thought about the foam inserts in the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't powder coat one. If you just have to put something on it paint it. Otherwise strip it, blast it, whatever to get all the paint off and leave it plain. No paint is needed. You'll get a hard oxidized finish naturally and you won't ever have to do anything to it. It's not as pretty as a cleanly painted boat but it dang sure is long lasting. Can't scratch the finish off. Beat it on docks, bounce it off rocks, nothing will hurt it. I have a couple buddies who guide out of aluminum boats who have gone this route. One in a Boatright and one in a Hanko. They had 'em built and just went with no paint. To me it doesn't look near as bad as a boat that has been used hard and is missing lots of paint. I use to have to have my Boatright stripped and re-painted every two years to keep it looking decent and even then by the time I had a year of wear on a coat of paint it was looking rough.

Comment

If you do decide to paint it Sherwin Williams has an industrial paint that I am pretty sure is called KEM 400. Look it up, that is what a bunch of aluminum boat manufacturers use. You can't get it at just any Sherwin Williams, you have to go to one of their industrial paint stores. It's available in several good aluminum boat colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
              If you do decide to paint it Sherwin Williams has an industrial paint that I am pretty sure is called KEM 400. Look it up, that is what a bunch of aluminum boat manufacturers use. You can't get it at just any Sherwin Williams, you have to go to one of their industrial paint stores. It's available in several good aluminum boat colors.
              It is KEM 400 I have 3 gals sitting on my floor

Comment

This is what Boatright uses or least used to

Comment

I wouldn't powder coat one. If you just have to put something on it paint it. Otherwise strip it, blast it, whatever to get all the paint off and leave it plain. No paint is needed.
                  Not a bad way to go but if you choose this route do not sandblast. Blasting will leave a rough porous finish that will stain like crazy unless you spend a lot of time sanding down to a fine grit after blast.

Comment

Thanks for the great info.

I’m currently researching some good paint stripper to just do the job myself.

Its a 98 model .100 thickness Alweld. Still has original paint, well, somewhat. Majority of the inside is worn out from foot traffic over the years but there is some Krylon rattle can job we did to the exterior for duck season years back. Its not horribly thick. I have a Sherwin Williams right by the house. I will atop in and inquire about that paint as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a boat thread on here somewhere. I looked pretty hard for that kem400 or whatever it's called at several different sherwin Williams stores and they couldn't get it, 2 stores couldn't even find it in the system. I blasted the boat with a fine media, then painted with regular old rust-oleum from tractor supply. Boat still looks like it was just painted besides the few stains. Only missing paint is on a big gouge from a stop sign post during hurricane harvey. [emoji15]. I wouldn't spend very much on paint as I use my boat a lot and it's $11 paint job has held up for probably 5 years now. It does stain bad, but looks like someone above me said blasting it is my reason for staining.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        Check out Boswell airboat thread. They did a hella job on the paint.

As for the bottom, GatorGlide. Owner is top notch guy!! I'm about to put some on a skiff

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                        Gatorglide is whats on my boat and has been on the past few. Can't recommend it enough. X2 on owner being a great guy! Gives you his personal number to call at any time with any questions. When I did my first boat and had a few questions i called and he answered first time on a Sunday.

As far as paint id give a couple of aluminum boat manufacturers a call and see what they use. I know whatever Gator Tail uses is some ****** paint that has held up extremely well on my mud boat.

Comment

I know it is a drive. But Abilene Powder Coating, would be my first call. They are setup to do entire Race car frames and chasis. They do impeccable work.

Comment

I just dropped my aluminum center console off at WC Custom Boats week before last to have this done. They are doing some fab work on it too, along with stripping it, repainting and adding hydro turf. They are located in Cayuga just below Richland Chambers.

Comment

You can't get KEM 400 at Sherwin Williams stores. Like I said, you have to go to a Sherwin Williams Industrial Coatings store. There is like 1 in Houston. If you go to your local SW store they WILL NOT be able to get it.

Comment

Need to hit up a tasco or finish master for kem 400. It’s a standard enamel with hardener. I’d opt for automotive urethane over an enamel based paint personally.

You can't get KEM 400 at Sherwin Williams stores. Like I said, you have to go to a Sherwin Williams Industrial Coatings store. There is like 1 in Houston. If you go to your local SW store they WILL NOT be able to get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X