No announcement yet.

Anyone NOT like the Ruger american?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you have a $300 gun with a $400 dollar stock that is now worth $350 for the package.
    This is good advice for any gun - never upgrade expecting to get your money back out of it. I’ve yet to see customizations add anywhere near their cost in value.

I have $800 in upgrades to my RAP and love it - it’s the perfect blind gun in 16” creed

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
      This is good advice for any gun - never upgrade expecting to get your money back out of it. I’ve yet to see customizations add anywhere near their cost in value.

I have $800 in upgrades to my RAP and love it - it’s the perfect blind gun in 16” creed
      That is kinda my point. If you original price was 350 or so and then you put 800 more into it for a total of 1150, i think you would have been way ahead in buying an $800 gun in the first place. Some guns you can do some custom work to and come out ok, but they need to be a little more desirable to start with. Kinda like spending $500 upgrading a rock island 1911vs $500 upgrading a Colt. The colts value has a good chance of climbing with the upgrades, but the RI so so much. None of that was meant to knock your rifle

Comment

I believe that there will come a day when someone will make a supremely accurate chassis rifle with a custom trigger and a 16” barrel that takes aics mags and weighs 7# soaking wet and costs $800, but until then I respectfully beg to differ that there is a superior blind gun for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
          The Magpul stock is by far the best alternative chassis!

It’s not light, but it’s extremely balanced. The stock itself is 3.3 pounds. The POS factory stock only weighs a pound.

This is the .308 RAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scope?

Comment

Anyone NOT like the Ruger american?

How can’t you like this. 20 shots of 6.5cm and a cut down barrel (18”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by mkk; 01-27-2019, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
              Scope?

That’s a Leupold VXR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post

Man I wish mine would do that...

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                  Those that have made the factory stock heavier...

What material did you use to fill the voids?

I filled the butt with silicone caulk. Added weight, rigidity, and felt recoil reduction.

The forend, I filled with short fiber glass body filler.

It did add weight and stiffness, but still not nearly as much as the Magpul stock.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I wish Magpull made the stock in a LH model.

Comment

yep

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                      I think they are ok, if you are going to leave them as is. I had one and it shot about 1" three shots with factory ammo, that was the good. The bad is the stock is a ****, the "bluing" is a very poor protectant, the barrel is ribbed, but not for pleasure for cheapness. That same ribbing is on the bolt for a not so smooth throw. Its like they keep the lathe on high and never quite finish the gun. It is just a gun that screams cheap. Putting a good stock on them is the classic lipstick on a pig, you have a $300 gun with a $400 dollar stock that is now worth $350 for the package. I agree with buy a used Remington or something along those lines. All I typed holds true with all these budget rifles, not just picking on the American.

ender right here!!! they is what they is

Comment

Wow. That’s 20 shots above?
                        Doesn’t matter what it costs. It throws bullets in tight groups.
                        My stock is light and waterproof. Who cares if it gets scratched.
                        And if I leave it at the ranch , in a blind or in the truck, not a lot of $ at risk.

I do like the bigger bolt handle I bought when a big sounder is in a open field.

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post

It doesn’t matter what gun I own I couldn’t get one to do that for 20 rounds with me behind the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                            That is kinda my point. If you original price was 350 or so and then you put 800 more into it for a total of 1150, i think you would have been way ahead in buying an $800 gun in the first place. Some guns you can do some custom work to and come out ok, but they need to be a little more desirable to start with. Kinda like spending $500 upgrading a rock island 1911vs $500 upgrading a Colt. The colts value has a good chance of climbing with the upgrades, but the RI so so much. None of that was meant to knock your rifle
                            So far my TC Venture seems to be GTG. Stock is more stiff than any other factory synthetic (excluding tikka), and I paid $350 for it new. Also it came with an MOA guarantee, so if it doesn’t shoot TC SHOULD make it right. I haven’t had any accuracy problems though.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                              So far my TC Venture seems to be GTG. Stock is more stiff than any other factory synthetic (excluding tikka), and I paid $350 for it new. Also it came with an MOA guarantee, so if it doesn’t shoot TC SHOULD make it right. I haven’t had any accuracy problems though.
                              The ventures do seem better than the ruger American in pretty much every catagory. Seem to be a much better finished gun and the stock is considerably better, but that don't take much haha

Comment

I've got two of them. 7mm-08 and a predator in .223. I like them both. I put my .223 in a Boyd's stock w/ custom length of pull and glass bedded it. I really love that gun with the stock on it. I think I'm going to try out that Magpul American Hunter on the 7mm-08 to see how I like that. Like everyone else said, the factory stock sucks. But, they are shooters for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X