DIY Arrow Building or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
    I just make my own jig and cut my arrows with a air pencil grinder with a cutting blade, pretty simple and it's a tool that I use for other applications. I used to use the EZ-Fletcher to fletch but nowadays I use the Quickfletch with the wrap, much easier and quicker. I tend not to over think things and only hunt with only target shooting to get ready to hunt.
    I've used the quickfletch shrink wrap style too to fix some arrows in a bind. But like the rest of you, i am wanting to start to play around with some arrow/fletch combinations.

I like practicing 3-4 days per week out of season so i tend to wear out arrows frequently and i've noticed the quickfletch systems just don't hold up as well long term wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
      I live in the Round Rock area on the weekends but stay in the Franklin/Robertson County area during the week for work.
      Plenty of us around that area. I'm in Bertram, bring Shiner and we will build arrows!

Comment

Originally posted by kyleseipp View Post
        IMHO -

It is a blast to do - and allows you to tinker with a variety of items. I was curious about 6 fletch...so I made a 6 fletch. I was curious about 4 fletch....so I made 4 fletch. I was curious about feathers vs. vanes with fixed broadheads, 4 inch vs 2 inch, Spiraled/staggered fletchings, weight forward, added angle on the helical, etc...so I did them.

Plus, if you get the gear to do it, you end up with a cold beverage and buddies over to talk through all the above. I have had the setup (arrow saw, multi-fletch and mono-fletch) for several years and feel like they have paid for themselves time and again.

Comb ebay, bargain caves (if they still exist) and other sites to find a deal.
        Which fletching rig do you find yourself reaching for more often? I've seen a lot of positive things about the mono Blitz setup.

Comment

You can build your own saw if you are handy. Here is just one example.

Option A: Spend $150 on a commercial arrow saw. Option B: Build your own saw for $50 and put the $100 you save toward arrows. If you're an Option B kind of guy, it only takes a trip to the hardware store and an hour of effort.

Comment

I bought all the stuff to do it about 4 years ago, built about 4 dozen arrows and then never touched it again until a few months ago when I pulled the arrow saw off the shelf in the garage and gave it to a buddy. It's just so much easier to buy a couple dozen at a time at the proshop and let them do it lol.

Comment

I've used the quickfletch shrink wrap style too to fix some arrows in a bind. But like the rest of you, i am wanting to start to play around with some arrow/fletch combinations.

I like practicing 3-4 days per week out of season so i tend to wear out arrows frequently and i've noticed the quickfletch systems just don't hold up as well long term wise.
              Yeah when I shot a lot I don't think they would've held up then. I can't shoot that much now due to shoulder pain. I try to limit my shooting to just enough to get by with.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                Plenty of us around that area. I'm in Bertram, bring Shiner and we will build arrows!
                Shiner...now you're speaking my language. Might have to take you up on that one day when i decide to order some blank shafts.

Comment

I do everything except cut them.

Comment

Roll your own, it’s the best way to learn about the complete system. You will become a better archer and increase your depth of knowledge along the way. Let’s face it, most shops sell you shafts out of a 144 arrow box display running a slight offset at best. Get you a good jig running an aggressive helical and watch your groups shrink and and your broadhead groups tighten way up. Start playing with front loading, different fletching and stuff if you feel up to it, nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck if you chose to do so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Which fletching rig do you find yourself reaching for more often? I've seen a lot of positive things about the mono Blitz setup.
                      I use the mono more than anything. Especially when tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by kyleseipp View Post
                        I use the mono more than anything. Especially when tinkering.
                        That's what i figured i would be more comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                          Roll your own, it’s the best way to learn about the complete system. You will become a better archer and increase your depth of knowledge along the way. Let’s face it, most shops sell you shafts out of a 144 arrow box display running a slight offset at best. Get you a good jig running an aggressive helical and watch your groups shrink and and your broadhead groups tighten way up. Start playing with front loading, different fletching and stuff if you feel up to it, nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck if you chose to do so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Solid advice. I'm needing to switch to 300 from 340 due to increasing poundage on my bow and i figured i might play around with this next set of arrows to try 4-fletch vs 3-fletch.

Comment

I build my own. I was tired of ruining vanes and having to wait on a shop to fix them so I bought a fletching jig. Realized how easy that was and how much cheaper I could get raw shafts so I found a good deal on an arrow saw and bought it. I have several family and friends that shoot so it allows me to help them out to. Now I have a full setup minus a draw board, but that will happen in the next year.

Comment

I went with the goat tuff fletching jig you can do 4 fletch and 3 fletch, 1/2, 1, 2, & 3 degree offsets, can use variety of vane. I bought this one bcuz it wasnt that expensive and just to try my hand at fletching my own arrows. Check out some youtube videos on diy arrow spinners, made one from skate board wheel bearings and scrap angel iron.

Comment

Been building my own for almost 30 years. You don’t need to spend 100s of dollars to try it. Some glue, ARizona EZ fletch, and just buy cut to length shafts. I put all my inserts regardless of arrow in with Easton HIT epoxy and I fletch everything with gorilla blue top super glue. I personally have been using my Bitzenburger jig for 20+ years. It’s fun. Try it. If you enjoy it you can add more tools, different jigs, scales, etc. it’s almost a hobby in and of itself. Same thing with sharpening broadheads.

Comment

Working...
                                X