6.5 Grendel AR problems, looking for ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel AR problems, looking for ideas

I've built a dozen or so AR's from the ground up. Never had any issues with them shooting well. Until now. Bear Creek Arsenal barrel in 6.5G. This is the second barrel, the first exhibited almost exactly the same problems. That's got me thinking that something else is amiss. I have tried the upper on three different lowers. Multiple scopes and mounts. With suppressor and without. Tore the upper apart and remounted the barrel twice. About the only thing I haven't tried is a different stripped upper. That is going to be the next thing I try, just waiting for the right one to go on sale somewhere. I need another anyways to build a 10.5" 223 on. :spin:

Hornady Black ammo. I could accept mediocre accuracy with a particular ammo, but this is unacceptable. This is at 50 yards, 1" dot for reference. Disregard the bottom left hole, that was from sight in.

And then to rule out the scope, I moved it to my 223 AR and did this at 100 yards with cheap steel ammo (again a 1" dot):

Everything is torqued properly. I really want to like this gun, but it is making it hard.

What am I missing?

Have you tried different ammo? I wouldn’t think it would be your upper. I would think ammo or barrel. You have already ruled out the scope and mount. I had a grendal that didn’t like a Hornady load. This was when it new to the market and only a couple box ammos were available.

Comment

Get a good quality barrel. From what I’ve heard, the BEar Creek Barrels are hit and miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by onetondodge View Post
        Have you tried different ammo? I wouldn’t think it would be your upper. I would think ammo or barrel. You have already ruled out the scope and mount. I had a grendal that didn’t like a Hornady load. This was when it new to the market and only a couple box ammos were available.
        Like I said, I could handle mediocre, but 6" at 50 yards is not going to be ammo related. I've shot SKS's with barrels so loose the bullet is bouncing around going down the bore that shoot better.

Comment

Just throwing ideas out there bud. My brother had a smith and Wesson ar15 that couldn’t keep it on a 8” pie plate at 50 with 55fmj American eagle. Only thing that Gun seemed to like was Winchester supreme. It would shoot it around an inch. Seems like you have already changed the barrel once. Could be the issue.

Comment

I posted on the other thread as well but I would think you got a bad BCA barrel. I would be very surprised to learn the upper was the problem, unless the barrel or bcg are just rattling around. I shoot out at greenwood fairly often and you are welcome to try a few of my hand loads to see if they help.

Comment

Two different barrels doing exactly the same thing?

Comment

Its either the barrel , or the receiver is machined badly at the barrel seat .

Comment

Did you swap out the bolt when you changed barrels out? Still sounds like a barrel problem to me. Since the bolt locks directly into the barrel on an AR, the upper receiver has little to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                    Like I said, I could handle mediocre, but 6" at 50 yards is not going to be ammo related. I've shot SKS's with barrels so loose the bullet is bouncing around going down the bore that shoot better.
                    I was getting around 4-5" groups with the hornady black ammo at around 50-60 yards.

Try some of the sst or the federal.
                    I finally got it to shoot good with reloads and the federal gold metal with the 130gr berger bullets, but now I can not find them in stock anywhere. I spoke with Federal and they are saying they will have it back in stock around October.

Comment

On their site they say 16" and longer barrels they expect 1" or better. Keep sending back until they make it shoot.

Comment

I’m going to go with a bad chamber. Which goes back to a barrel issue. If they ran several barrels with an out of spec reamer it’s possible you may have gotten more than 1 from the same batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The BLACK ammo was doing the same thing in mine. It would send a flyer out of nowhere. I noticed a tip missing on one of the bullets. After further inspection, I found several that were loose and a couple that were disfigured. I have some Fusions now, but haven't been back to range yet.

Comment

Is the barrel nut torqued to spec? I once had a barrel nut that was hitting a bad thread so it felt tight but it was loose. It was flinging bullets everywhere. Once I figured it out the groups shrank to sub moa

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              I’m going to go with a bad chamber. Which goes back to a barrel issue. If they ran several barrels with an out of spec reamer it’s possible you may have gotten more than 1 from the same batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              It's not just one. It's a whole bunch. There have been quite a few threads floating around from what I gather about the Bear Creek barrels not being very good.

My buddy, is also on his second barrel too. He's now put off the caliber (even though I told him to get a quality barrel)

I'll let you do your own research, and draw your own conclusion on the manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                              X