No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats why I'm here. I want to learn from some of the greats...

I've heard of spraying vanilla on corn but what kind? You also use it for cover scent?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      Ol Freaky

The place I lived at the time bordered National forest and they cut a huge clearcut behind my house and right up to my yard. The next summer there was a crazy bachelor group in that clearcut with 13 mature bucks. In late August, I invited a friend and we went back there to watch for them. They came in and one of them had crazy mass and appeared to be shedding velvet already. there were strips hanging off his massive rack everywhere. I watched him every day for the next couple of weeks and it soon became obvious that it wasn't strips of velvet but velvet covered drop tines! Seven of them! When the group was polished, they split up and he was gone.

I didn't see him again until Nov 29th. I was bowhunting behind a big green field less than a mile away from home. I walked up to an offset in the field and there he was eating wheat at 10am! Now he was on private property that belonged to an elderly fellow that had a terrible reputation for being a hermit and mean. That evening, I got my nerve up, grabbed a few packs of back strap and some of Moms jelly before heading to his house. I nocked on the door and he answered gruffly that he was coming. HUGE MAN! He asked what I wanted in no friendly way. I told him I was his neighbor down the road that had just moved there the year before and he invited me in. I gave him the jelly and asked if he liked deer meat before handing him the sliced backstrap.

Man his eyes lit up! Yes he did but hadn't had any in years because of a badly broken ankle that never healed well. Now that brought me to the subject of hunting his property. I told him he would never run out of deer meat if he let me hunt that green field behind his house. Now he thought a minute and said he didn't think there were any deer coming in there. I assured him they were but were using the lay of the land to stay out of sight. No problem!

I didn't have another day off until four days later on Dec 2nd. I walked in down the bottom of a creek and climbed a big sweetgum that gave me a view of the small pocket. Deer poured in. Three bucks and several does. Then another huge doe. All the other deer gave her room. heck even a nice 8pt gave her space. Biggest doe I have ever seen! She was 40yds and facing me when I took another look. I almost fainted. Two big bloody spots on her head! I stopped by the old mans house on the way out and told him what I saw. He said, Oh yeah, I found a big ol ugly horn out there this morning. It was his right side. 8 inch bases and 17 scoreable points. Ill shorten he rest of the story but a cousin found the other side and had them mounted. Scored 220 without spread.

I never saw him again. If he had kept his antlers one more day.....He was ancient and probably running out of gas. Shed Dec 2nd 1984.
      ^^^ This deer's sheds with several of the drops broken.

Comment

Just got around to reading this and it reminded me of why I joined this group in the first place.
        Thanks,

Comment

Man, GarGuy these are great! Please continue.

Comment

Great reads, Steve.

Keep 'em coming.
            Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Nice reads! Thanks for sharing sir!

Comment

Good stuff and awesome read. .

Comment

Dang Jooger, don't pump me up too much. Im on a roll! Amazingly, the pic Jooger posted actually IS the freak I told yall about. Its a picture of a picture taken from below the mount and no where near does him justice.

Comment

Lucky 8

I had a spot rigged up fro dad(I do that a lot) and he was rifle hunting but I wanted to bow hunt. I looked like a cinch and I needed to stay close so I went with him and carried my bow. I was sitting at the truck listening for him to shoot when I remembered a whiteoak plot on a deep creek about 1.5 miles in the back of the property adjoining a terrible thicket. The wind was perfect for an approach and I decided to go check it out. I walked in and when I got close, I could smell bucks and hear acorns whacking the ground. I eased up too the first big whiteoak and saw two fresh rubs under it and the leaves all kicked up. To my left was a giant pine that was blown down by hurricane Ike and it had a big clay rootball.
                    I tucked in on the log with little cover but five minutes later I had a young buck sniffing for acorns. He crossed the deep creek and gave me a chance to breath when he got abut 40yds . Not for long. the mosquitoes were absolutely killing me. I hadn't come prepared to hunt and had nothing but a thin shirt on. About the time I couldn't stand it anymore, here comes five does. Ten yards and I cant move. I see movement to my right and there is a pretty nice deer working a scrape 20yds away but I cant even turn my head to look at him. He made the does nervous and they fed over to the next tree. The buck turned and walked back the way he came ..giving me the walking away shivers. Man he looked BIG!

I seized that opportunity to wipe a bunch of blood gorged skeeters off my arms and back. before hearing a deer coming at a fast crunch from the direction the big deer just went. I got turned and ready. He was a nice 6.5yr old 8pt but really not as big as I thought when he walked away. He was on a mission and I had watched the other deer go behind that big whiteoak before crossing the creek. He was right in step. When his head went behind the tree, I drew and his ribcage came out just as I was solid at anchor. I touched the release and heard the smack of a Muzzy striking home. He bolted forward and into the creek but didn't come out. I sat there a few seconds and then eased over to the creek bank. He was standing right in the bottom wobbeling side to side so I sent another straight down. He let out a snort unlike any I have ever heard a deer make before collapsing.

I slid down the bank and into the stream bed with him 20ft deep. He was about 125 but man he was a warhorse of a deer. I tried getting him up the bank and got about half way before both of us slid back to the bottom! Exhausted, I was standing there panting when I heard the same type snort/bellow I had heard earlier. I looked straight up and there was the BIG buck looking down at me from the top bank. My bow was laying about 6ft from him also on the top bank! He stood there and gave me the evil eye for a few seconds and then just stiff legged back out of sight. All I can figure is he heard my wounded deer bellow and us sliding down the bank and thought it was a buck fight in the creek.

I had to get help on that one. I like hunting closer to the road!

Comment

Silly Friend

A few years ago I had a friend from out of town show up for Thanksgiving. He was a hunter but didn't consider bringing hunting gear. Well all the talk was deer hunting so he wanted to go. I had an idea where we might see a good buck and sneaked into a tree line on the edge of a big cutover. He had my rifle with a vx3 50mm Leupold on it and I didn't even have my binos. He was watching the open to my right while I was zoned in on the edge of that thicket. That magic time arrived when there is still shooting light but its getting dark fast. Friend was ready to go and I told him to give it a few more minutes.Suddenly he was just standing there 65 yds on the edge with his head up. His dang neck was massive and it looked like his antlers came out of his neck.

My heart jumped in my throat as I whispered for him to shoot the deer. Unnamed friend raised the scope up and said in a conversational tone," Hes not a shooter". Whaaaaa? I can see hes a monster with the naked eye! I whisper, "Hes a whopper, shoot him". Once again in conversational tone Friend says," Yeah he has a big body but not much in the way of horns".

He heard that and went full alert. I said lemme see! and took the rifle. As soon as he was in the scope, I had no doubt. I just dropped the crosshairs to his chest and touched her off free hand. When I recovered from the recoil, he was scooting on his chest and then fell over. 20 inches inside, 39 inches of mass, 15 points with three broken off. He started cursing my mother.....
                      Last edited by GarGuy; 08-05-2014, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Funny thing about that big typical 12pt Jooger speaks of(Actually a typical 13 but broke a g2). I had pics of that deer the year before right in the heaviest pressure, in my sanctuary but no other times. A friend got hundreds of pics of him about 3 miles away and was after him hot and heavy. I didn't know it at the time but Jooger was after him too. My friend and his family literally hunted him every day during Oct. He stopped getting pics and I told him that deer was about to show up in my secret sanctuary. He said call him if I started getting pics. 7 days later, I called him and let him take some pics on my tail gate.

Comment

Great stories

Comment

Originally posted by Stick-Launcher View Post
                            Thats why I'm here. I want to learn from some of the greats...

I've heard of spraying vanilla on corn but what kind? You also use it for cover scent?
                            Any kind. Mix it rich. Great cover scent for covering where you walk to hand corn when sprayed on boots. No substitute for having the wind right though.

Comment

Since Jooger said all those nice things about me I guess I should apologize.....sorry steve..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Heres one from this past season. Some of you know I have been hard after a giant 8pt I named CrippleHorn a few years ago. he is 7.5 this year (at least) and I believe he will score in the 150s as an 8pt. For the last two years he has been the most killable buck on my place yet this year have had heck getting an arrow in him. I have seen him numerous times and had him dead to rights at 20 yds one morning before it was light enough to be sure it was him. Of course when I checked the camera...it was. I have logged at least 100 hours on stand for him without a shot. I have put other folks on several of my other bucks including a really nice ten pt because I planned to hunt Cripple Horn.

Any way, Saturday evening I was sitting one of my stands overlooking a feeder and two long food plots with my 10yr old nephew holding a rifle. Just before dark, a big deer came in the food plot but Lil David wasn't comfortable shooting. I could tell it was a monster with great spread and height but couldn't figure out what deer he was. I could have shot him with the rifle but opted to sneak out and try again before church Sunday morning. About an hour after daylight Sunday, I looked out the side window to see a GIANT typical walking across the road. We scrambled to get on him but we were a second late. He was really wide and had a wall of tall tines. I don't have a single picture of this deer but I knew my neighbor did. I went visiting and sure enough...it was him.

After the hunt, I went and looked at the trail he traveled. it was well worn and lined with horn rubs as far as the eye could see. It was also the trail that old Cripple Horn had used when visiting another stand hundreds of yards away. It was a straight shot. Now this trail is a big buck dream. He avoided all three feeders yet had visual from 200yds away on each as well as the ends of the food plots. A quick look around revealed a setup from Heaven. A small clump of pines with branches to the ground and a well pump behind it to assure they wouldn't get behind me. I grabbed the only tent blind I had at home and set it up with amazing cover and a 30yd shot to where he was coming out of my sanctuary thicket as well as the trail continuing 8yds in front of the stand. With a North wind I could come in from the pump jack and have sound coverage as well as being totally out of sight. It was perfect! Monday I put out 50 lb of corn and got out. Yesterday it was all gone with new rubs all around so I put out another bag. I knew the Norther was coming and I could hardly sit still. I checked it this morning and it was cleaned up again. I corned her up and as soon as the wind switched, I was in.

Now the reason that tent blind was at home was because it was too short for me to draw my bow from so I picked up my brand new 10pt crossbow. It shoots unbelievably well. As the evening wore on I was covered in does eating corn. Finally, they just walked calmly away. A few second later caught a glimps of a deer to my left. It was a stud of an 8pt that is on the target list. 6.5 years old ,18 inches inside, long tines and sweeping beams. He walked down the trail 8yds from me and right to the corn. Now I really didn't want to put my tag on this deer and was argueing with myself about passing a deer like this. I finally decided if he started to leave of it got late, I would shoot him. Little did I know that was the least of my worries...

About 10 minutes of pure pleasure watching him and he looks past my stand, cowers a little and walks to the far edge of the corn. HA! Im on the edge of my seat when I hear a gentle burp,burp burp, coming down the trail. Here Ol Cripple Horn came! Over 100 hours this year for this moment and he looks bigger than I thought! He is 8yds broadside, looking at the other buck. safety is off, crosshairs low behind shoulder, squeeze....squeeze......squeeze..... the trigger comes all the way back without firing. He steps forward a few yards and now in my next window. I jiggle the safety, aim squeeze, limp trigger! He takes charge of a corn pile at 20yd and Is hogging it down while the big 8pt begs permission to eat which he grants. All the while Im doing everything in my power to get the crossbow working.

This goes on for about 10 more minutes when both bucks look toward the sanctuary. Ol Cripple Horn turns that direction and starts back eating. The other big 8 circles nervously. Then I see him coming. The giant typical from Sunday. He walks right out and nods at CH who barely notices and then takes over the other corn pile out my right window. He is a typical 6x6 with at least one g3 forking just above the beam. Probably 21 inside. Beams past his nose and then curl in and up. Looks like he is 180s even if I subtract 10 inches for adrenaline!

Broadside at 20yds, I decide to try again. Surely if I pull hard enough it will shoot. WRONG! This goes on with all three shooters there until it was black dark and the corn crunching continues. I text my wife and asked her to drive over there and run the deer off. 30 minutes later she hasn't shown up so I peek at my phone and see it says," Message failed". I make another feeble attempt at sending the text and when the phone lights up, those bucks left there sounding like they ripped half the brush down in my sanctuary.

Perfect ending to this hunt I guess. So much for the absolute best setup a guy could ever find. Its a dang good thing I don't drink right now!

Comment

Working...
                                X