Public land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public land?

I've been hunting my friend's ranch in Saritas, but I'm going to college next year and I will probably hunt a lot of public land. Most likely destinations are Austin, College Station, or Houston. Anything inside of an hour drive is viable for me, but the closer, the better. Any suggestions? I realize Texas has very little huntable public land.

Good place to start: https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/

Comment

If you are looking for ducks and have a boat you can hunt the trinity river, lake conroe, lake livingston, lake Somerville, or go down to the bay. There are a lot more lakes and rivers around college station and houston you'll just have to do a little research and a lot of scouting
      There is also the Sam Houston National forest around Huntsville if you are looking for deer.
      Best of luck in College

Comment

[quote=jbw899;13914194]Good place to start:

Thank you for the link. I'm new to Hunting, and would like to try out the national forest this coming up deer season.

Comment

What type of game do you want to hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
            What type of game do you want to hunt?
            Deer. Also small game, but mostly deer. The odd hog.

Comment

Sam Houston can be okay if you can stay away from the crowds, taken a few doe out of there and have seen some decent bucks. Depending on how far you want to drive, there are also options east toward Lufkin and Nacogdoches area.

Comment

Granger could be pretty close too... Also, try to make sure you put in for the drawn hunts if you can block dates out for them. Gus Engeling, Richland Creek WMA are not too far north of you. Certainly driveable over the weekend.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Where are you going to college at?

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                      Where are you going to college at?
                      Haven't decided yet. I'll know for sure in May. I'll probably end up going wherever is cheapest unless I can get into a private college for less that 15k a year tuition.

Comment

Well, to be close to public land. Sam Houston State has the Sam Houston National Forest all around it. Stephen F. Austin is close to the DCNF and Angelina, plus some good lakes.
                        A&M has Somerville fairly close. My son went over there a lot when he was at A&M.

Comment

Working...
                        X