Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

How sharp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got mine so sharp that I don't dare try to shave with them. I just use the shadow to cut hair off my arm!

Seriously, I use a set of Crock sticks and they come out hair popping sharp. I keep a set in the center console of my truck at all times.

Comment

I use a mill ******* file and can get my zwickeys as sharp as a knife. It will easily shave my arm hair.....in the field I can use the file to get them shaving very quickly but at the house I will use the file and then use a piece of tungsten to get them final.
      To me the key is to use a large file, I like a 10" mill *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
        How sharp is an envelope? You bleed like a stuck pig with a paper cut.
        Try taking a 325mg aspirin and a Plavix daily then get that cut.[emoji15]

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
          https://www.amazon.com/Razor-Sharp-E.../dp/B0002IXQD8

Here is the system I use in case anyone is interested..only tricky part is maintaining a consistent angle. But once you get used to it it is super easy!
          This is on my get done list for this year.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
            Are your broadheads. Really? I know we want them as sharp as possible, and I can get mine to cut some hair but they don't really shave like a super sharp knife will. I start with a file then use an accusharp. I'm kicking around getting a KME but I don't know that it's really necessary or that it would be that much better than what I'm using now.
            I've got a KME sharpener I'll make ya a deal on if your interested. Definitely helped in keeping the corrected angle on the heads when sharpening. I bought it thinking it would be quicker to sharpen my 9527 different broadheads i was testing out/planning to use before my Africa trip, but ended up sticking with my old school method.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
              https://www.amazon.com/Razor-Sharp-E.../dp/B0002IXQD8

Here is the system I use in case anyone is interested..only tricky part is maintaining a consistent angle. But once you get used to it it is super easy!

I have paper wheels. Pressure is not the issue for me. Holding a consistent angle on both sides is an issue for me. Even holding a consistent angle from pass to pass.

Not being able to hold a consistent angle is why I cannot seem to get anything sharp unless I have some sort of guide to make me keep the angle consistent!!!!!

I’ve tried just about everything over the years. The KME was my best, but it was super slow for me. The sharpener I posted above gets my heads shaving in a reasonable amount of time!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Getting one edge sharp is pretty easy, trying to match it exactly on the opposing bevel to raise a burr is where it is usually screwed up. One reason I like single bevel heads is I find them much easier to sharpen. Get that one edge sharp then a few light strokes front and back on the paper wheel and you are popping hair.

Comment

I use a set of $15 Lansky crock sticks, and get mine shaving sharp.

I use a file for any major corrections or repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                    the rusted 100gr Thunderhead went straight through the deer at 37 yds and into the earth just like a new blade.

I don't stress over it as much as I once did.
                    This is consistent with my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                      Are your broadheads. Really? I know we want them as sharp as possible, and I can get mine to cut some hair but they don't really shave like a super sharp knife will. I start with a file then use an accusharp. I'm kicking around getting a KME but I don't know that it's really necessary or that it would be that much better than what I'm using now.
                      are you using a strop? if not thats whats missing. If your using one, you need honing compound ( like the green one)

Comment

I like uncle Teds rough sharp method.
                        My kid bumped my leg with his broadhead- cut through jeans under armour and me like butter very little pressure or pain

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
                          I've got a KME sharpener I'll make ya a deal on if your interested. Definitely helped in keeping the corrected angle on the heads when sharpening. I bought it thinking it would be quicker to sharpen my 9527 different broadheads i was testing out/planning to use before my Africa trip, but ended up sticking with my old school method.
                          Thanks Shiloh. I'll keep it mind, just not sure what I'm gonna get. I wanna try something different and see if I can get them a bit sharper for sure though.

Comment

I have been using a work sharp Ken Onion on my broadheads and it gets them scary sharp after using the polishing belt.

Comment

I use tuskers which are very hard to get shaving sharp but they will cut. I use a file to get a good edge then use the edge of the file to get a rough edge. Kinda like a serrated edge. My Zwickeys are much easier to get very sharp. My main concern is if it will cut, not necessarily shave.

Comment

Crock sticks for me too and they work great.

Comment

Working...
                                X