Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you hunt in the S. Texas brush country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have shoot thru mesh on every one of my blinds!!!!

If your bow is tuned well, it will work just fine. You should not shoot thru the mesh at real sever angles, as the fletch will sometimes catch and screw your shot up. I learned that the hard way! The mesh will also rob you of about 10 minutes of shooting light. It is worth it to me to have the freedom of movement I have in my blinds.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks Bisch!

Comment

I have pretty much abandoned tripods or tree stands as of this year. I don't bounce as well as I used to. I have some ground blinds but I agree they can severely limit your view especially after you hit a deer and he runs. I recently bought a ghillie suit and an excellent lightweight and quality swivel stool. Gonna have to do some major trimming on the ghillie suit to get it compatable with my bows but I am really looking forward to using it in turkey season. I think I will be much more adaptable and hunt most anywhere with any wind as long as there is some cover, even less than you may imagine.

Comment

I prefer to still hunt. My tripods are no good for recurve bows, the trees are too short and don't have enough vegetation for cover, and I absolutely will give up hunting before sitting in an oversize bag peering out of a small opening.

I was within a few yards of six or seven deer this year but couldn't get off a shot because every time there were two to five other deer tagging along. The odds of being able to draw a bow with that many eyes and ears on the lookout is pretty slim. I did finally find a buck that was alone and he now resides in the freezer. Next year I plan to carry pocket shears on hunts so that I can throw together some brush barriers to hide behind. My country is mesquite, white brush, and juniper. The deer can see through the white brush and about the only way the juniper will work is to find a bunch growing close enough together to carve out a hole between them and back into it. I prefer to still hunt in the mornings and sit next to a trail in the evening. Evenings have been the best for seeing deer as they are moving to food sources. It is a crap shoot in the morning on whether or not they have bedded down by the time there is enough daylight to see them.

Comment

south texas

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
            If you like being up get a 7’ tripod and back it into a tree. Put camo netting around behind you to break up your silhouette. I’ve also got the Mavericks, Krivo and Blind turtle ground blinds. They all work well.
            this is about the sum of it. Still hunting can be effective down the edge of a sendero when the weather (need some wind, preferably x wind and moisture) but if your deer are highly managed like mine you have a tough time not getting busted. Rattling works but is tough to get everything to go your way. I find the tripod even cut down to 4 ft with netting both front and back works and is more fun than a box or pop up. south texas tripods makes the best long lasting most mobile and friendly to the long bow but they are very spendy. lastly making a nest in a living bush that you can cut the center out of is very effective and will last for seasons with a little trimming but that perfect bush in the perfect location is hard to find.... good luck

Comment

Tripods don’t work great for us either. There just isn’t enough cover.
              I dug two holes this year and made a couple pit blinds. I can get them in close.
              I like them and will dig a couple more this year.

Comment

Pit blinds are awesome! We had 2 in Tilden. I’ve shot many critters from those two blinds!!!

But they are a lot of work if you are digging the holes with a shovel. If I had a machine to dig the holes, I would probably have all pit blinds!!!

Bisch

Comment

Heck I'd rent a mini track first.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    Pit blinds are awesome! We had 2 in Tilden. I’ve shot many critters from those two blinds!!!

But they are a lot of work if you are digging the holes with a shovel. If I had a machine to dig the holes, I would probably have all pit blinds!!!

Bisch

We have a backhoe at the ranch. Ours a pretty large I’d still be there wth a shovel.
                    I put pallets around the walls and shoved brush in them.
                    Standing in it my head is the only thing that sticks above ground.

Comment

pit blinds

I really liked pit blinds i hunted in in africa years ago but i have been nervous about building them here in south texas because of the snakes and i just cant make myself buy the ranch king version. do you guys have any issues with snakes in your pits? how do you keep em out?

Comment

Ground blinds with shoot thru mesh. Hot in early season but you'll love them later in the season when it's cold and drizzling. Plus you can get away with movement and able to draw without spooking animals.

Comment

I'd like to try a pit blind. Only problem is where I hunt you have about 6" of red clay dirt then a 12" layer of limestone rock bed across the entire ranch. I have a hard enough time getting a T post in below the barb.

Comment

If I was hunting big oaks I would build a platform and have my shooting spot 15-20 yards out so I could shoot from a sitting position

Comment

nothing beats a strap on in big oaks. wish i had some big oaks

Comment

Get another vote for pit blind from me as well. Dug pit put hexagon wooden box on top with front fully open but shoot through netting stretched across it. Other set i like is oak with limbs to the ground and put cattle panel n brush it in and use burlap as well and cut some small shooting windows in it. Have stood up in them with deer at 10 yds and not get busted, after that would he a pop up

Comment

Working...
                                X