"Bend at the waist"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Bend at the waist"?

Saw this advice on another thread here and didn't want to hi-jack that one. When you guys tell someone hunting out of a ladder/tree/elevated stand to "bend at the waist".... what do you mean, or more to the point why do you advise so? I hunt out of pop-ups and ground blinds so I've never been told this.

Thanks in advance.
    Richard.

Keep your anchor points true. If you just drop your bow arm down your form suffers as well as your shot. I've found I hit high if I don't bend at the waist. Though, I couldn't tell you what I do when I shoot something. that's all a blur lol. Hopefully I do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Because if your bent at the arms or shoulders you’re changing your shooting form. Bending at the waist your upper body is still, and can stay in, the correct shooting form.

Comment

Basically pull back on the bow like you would normally do target shooting on level ground and aim straight ahead. Then bend at the waist to point towards your target. Do not move your arms more than you have. If you just drop the arm holding the bow while the one holding the string is still at your original shooting position, your point of reference can be off.

Comment

When shooting from level you make a T with your form. Your body the upright, your bow arm out one side and your draw arm level and in line with that. If you don't bend at the waist from elevation you mess up that form, throw off your anchor point and release angle and will usually miss high.

Gary

Comment

Thanks folks!

Comment

Before I knew about this, I practiced on flat ground. Shot at a buck one morning from a stand 12' in the air. The arrow went right over his back. He didn't jump it, I just shot over. Everything felt right, so I went home and shot a few arrows on flat ground... perfect group. Got to talking with a friend and he asked if I'd tried from an elevated stand. Took my target to a 12' stand at the house and set it up. Shot just like I did from the stand earlier that morning. I barely hit the top of the target. He told me to try bending at the waste. Nailed it after that. Always practice the way you plan to shoot.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Whenever I am lucky enough to get a shot from an elevated stand, I pick my spot and then drop the arrow impact point another 3-4 inches to aim for a heart shot. If it ducks, then you still have mid-chest cavity.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                  Saw this advice on another thread here and didn't want to hi-jack that one. When you guys tell someone hunting out of a ladder/tree/elevated stand to "bend at the waist".... what do you mean, or more to the point why do you advise so? I hunt out of pop-ups and ground blinds so I've never been told this.

Thanks in advance.
                  Richard.
                  Richard,

The advice is true for those who sit in chairs on the ground, but otherwise stand when they practice.

The whole point is to maintain the bow arm to anchor and sight picture no matter what your position is relative to the target. If you drop you bow arm instead of bending at the waist, the point of impact actually moves for the same anchor, etc.

When you stand and shoot at 15 yards at a target low on the ground you tend to actually drop your arm instead of drawing straight and bending to lower to bow. When you sit down and shoot at that same target, your arm is already pointing at that target.

This is why I tend to shoot high while sitting down... because I tend to drop my bow arm instead of bending forward when shooting standing up. It is enough to make 1-2" difference...

Comment

I foresee a ladder shot in an upcoming First Shot Challenge......

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Not in my swamp . . . er yard.

Gary

Comment

Good replies all. I do think I'll try shooting from atop a ladder so I can actually see what ya'll are talking about.

Richard

Comment

I used to shoot off my house roof. Then the swimming pool went in . . .

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            I used to shoot off my house roof. Then the swimming pool went in . . .

Gary
                            LOL!!! I'd considered that but fear that I'd get a nasty letter from the HOA!

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                              LOL!!! I'd considered that but fear that I'd get a nasty letter from the HOA!
                              Set up several pink flamingos as targets, they'll love it!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X