Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks

Comment

Just talked to Kyle Of TPWL and he says it is flooded all way up to the camp site.

Comment

Any new so far on how the hunt there has been for those who went?

Comment

I'd be surprised if anyone went. I've been checking in on this thread hoping someone braved it.

Comment

I was suppose to go tomorrow on the 16th. Got a call from the ranger and it is still flooded. Only access is by canoe or other floating devices. Cancelled my hunt.

Comment

River at Oakwood as of 1:40 today was at 40.07 feet, flood stage for this area is 35 feet, with the river still rising to expected 41 feet. Coffield prison grounds is partially flooded.

Comment

Any thoughts on how the WMA will be for the Nov. 30th hunt?

Comment

I'm planning on calling the park tomorrow, I will let you know what I find out.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Comment

I just received a call from the Biologist asking if I was still planning on attending so I guess it is possible to hunt out there but he said it was still pretty much underwater.

Comment

Cool no one was answering my calls. I'm will hunting the northeast corner. My first day will be scouting and second day will be setting up. Hopefully there's a good but cheap place to eat near by.

Comment

Went and checked in / did orientation today because unless you were there today you could not hunt

Met birdsongty1 but he didn't mention TBH and I had a TBH shirt on

Looks like 15 hunters, handful have hunted it flooded before and the ones I talked to were willing to share what they know

Headed back down Monday if water has gone down a little.

Most everything west of the gate is under water but east is not too bad

Not going to be a picnic but will update as I can

Comment

Headed back down in the morning to give it a shot

Water has gone down enough that maybe we can get around enough to get where we want to try

If signal allows I will update daily

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Cell signal was very poor (AT&T) so I skipped the update

Brief recap

Got back down there Tuesday around lunch, got camp set up and headed out for a look

Looks bad but it was maybe ankle deep for 50-75yds on the road between the gates

We hunted on the east end, lots of water on west end that you could see from where you have to go east or west

Everyone that I know of was hunting on the east end
                              There was one guy who was riding an ATV in on Tuesday morning. Saw him go out around 8:30 and never saw him again
                              There was a guy with 3 teenage kids that hunted several times while we were there
                              There was 1 more guy that came in and hung a stand Tuesday afternoon and was walking in. He hunted this morning but not sure if he stayed or went home too.

We saw deer, mostly does but a few bucks. A couple dad saw were “legal” but obviously young (biologist wanted mature bucks taken)

Dad and his friend were hunting opposite sides of Black Slough (big creek that crosses power line) and saw same doe and 2 bucks. Bucks were not “chasing” but shadowing her pretty close
                              She swam and they followed

Dad and I got about 100yds apart and hunted real slow the first evening, mostly looking for fresh sign to set up on

We had gone about half a mile and hit a road and were following it back to the 4 wheelers. There was a big log about 5yds off the road and it exploded with hogs. It looked like one of those clown cars, hogs just kept coming out from behind it. Must have been about 20
                              Of course neither one of us had an arrow nocked and they were gone pretty quick

Did find some good spots but no shots fired

We hunted until lunch today and packed up. With rain coming in and calling for 3-6” (depending on who you listen to) we decided it was time to go home

Few random pics

Ty, did you hunt any?

Early season you can drive all the way to the power line in a pickup with highway tires, this time of year you need an ATV/UTV or some strong legs and a body in great shape

Comment

Just one morning, too much water to hike four miles a hunt, too **** old

Comment

Working...
                                X