Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buff View Post
    I owned a 70# bear 30 years ago.
    Black Widow will make you a 70 no problem.
    They will moan and grown if you want anything over 75 but they built me a 84# a few years ago. They told me it is a lot more work to tiller when they are that heavy.

[ATTACH]933211[/ATTACH]
    Now I have a question that I probably already know the answer too.
    Does 70 shoot faster than 55 or is the heavier weight just to allow.for increased KE?
    I've thought about getting one in the range of 65 or 70 for elk and mulder.....shooting 55 now. I know 55 is plenty but wondered if increase weight would allow for longer shots and still pack a punch at 50 yds if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      Now I have a question that I probably already know the answer too.
      Does 70 shoot faster than 55 or is the heavier weight just to allow.for increased KE?
      I've thought about getting one in the range of 65 or 70 for elk and mulder.....shooting 55 now. I know 55 is plenty but wondered if increase weight would allow for longer shots and still pack a punch at 50 yds if needed.
      I can't speak for the carbon laminated stuff, but the good old glass wood limbs (in my experience) yield a structural integrity making them capable of shooting a much lighter weight arrow (GPP wise), and hold up to it more so than the lighter weight bows. For sure my Martins are capable of such.

I've shot tens of thousands of arrows from them with 96 & 98 pounds of draw, with only a 605gr arrow weight. They smoke that arrow on down the road too, so I'm still shooting a relatively heavy arrow WAY faster than even a 70# top of the line & fast bow of today will shoot them,

BUT

bring their arrow weight up to the 8 to 10 GPP range, and they are right in there speed wise with most of the fast recurves of today. Imagine a 780 to 980 gr arrow shooting 195 fps (or more). Not much is going to stop it, AND it ain't no lob shot.

That's an indirect way of saying - Going heavy is a win/win as long as you can handle it.

Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick
        I believe I'll look for a used one a little heavier than I have now

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          Thanks Rick
          I believe I'll look for a used one a little heavier than I have now
          There is a #70 martin bushmaster on leatherwall in the trade thread, IDK anything about it but I have been able to buy and sell off the trade thread before. May be what you are looking for

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            There is a #70 martin bushmaster on leatherwall in the trade thread, IDK anything about it but I have been able to buy and sell off the trade thread before. May be what you are looking for
            I'll check it out, thanks

Comment

I picked up a cheap 60 lb. Longbow the other day to see if I can build up a bit . . .

Gary

Comment

I know a man not far from me has a Hill that is about 90# and I don't remember who made his recurve (he is not one for customs) but it draws 80 @ 28. They exist, but like stated, most likely was something ordered even from a mass producer like Bear.
                I recently traded out of 68# longbow. My shoulder and collar bone (all of which have sustained some damage) did not like it. The collar bone was the worst of the pain.

Comment

Shot my 60 about 20 times yesterday and am stupidly sore today. As heavy as that thing is it sure is quiet and as long as I can keep my form from collapsing I'm more accurate with it than I am with the 45lb one.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                    I can't speak for the carbon laminated stuff, but the good old glass wood limbs (in my experience) yield a structural integrity making them capable of shooting a much lighter weight arrow (GPP wise), and hold up to it more so than the lighter weight bows. For sure my Martins are capable of such.

I've shot tens of thousands of arrows from them with 96 & 98 pounds of draw, with only a 605gr arrow weight. They smoke that arrow on down the road too, so I'm still shooting a relatively heavy arrow WAY faster than even a 70# top of the line & fast bow of today will shoot them,

BUT

bring their arrow weight up to the 8 to 10 GPP range, and they are right in there speed wise with most of the fast recurves of today. Imagine a 780 to 980 gr arrow shooting 195 fps (or more). Not much is going to stop it, AND it ain't no lob shot.

That's an indirect way of saying - Going heavy is a win/win as long as you can handle it.

Rick
                    That's interesting and not something I'd even considered.

Richard.

Comment

I own a beautiful 76 Bear SK in 65lbs. I watched a Super Grizz on fleabay a few yrs back that was 80lbs, it was a mid 70s bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                        That's interesting and not something I'd even considered.

Richard.
                        I used to joke about my big girls and say:

"If you got stuck, I could pry your truck out of the mud with them, wipe the mud off, and continue shooting without ever breaking stride."

Heavy/Heavier draw weight bow (in my opinion) are more structurally sound than those of lighter draw weights.

Rick

Comment

Not to go off topic cause it's a good one but that's the fella who shot himself a few years back while practicing a quick draw then posted the video. Looks like he's lost a few lb's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot heavy bows until about 5 years ago. Had a bear super Kodiak that was 70 lbs. A Martin Bushmaster that was 80 but felt like 120. Martin mountaineer 70. Howard Hill at 80. Lots of heavy bows out there but be very careful if you try the heavyweight stuff. You can possibly ruin your shooting and pick up very bad habits that are difficult to correct. For the record, I now only shoot 50 lb bows and see no reason to go heavier. Straight flying heavy arrows with sharp 2 blade heads will kill most anything in the lower 48.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

I currently own a Root Predator that is an 86 lb factory recurve. Ernie Root sold his designs to Shakespeare back in the '60's and the Predator was later designated as the Shakespeare Super Necedah. It's a great shooting bow that is fast and quiet. I shoot 625 gr arrows mostly, but I also have some 750 gr arrows that I use with it. It's not for the faint of heart. It'll let you know it's stout.

Comment

I had a 65# widow early on that was too much for me and gave me some bad habits. But I could get it to anchor. I went down to Buff’s a couple years back before ordering a widow to shoot a few. Since he had them up to 84 I really wanted to shoot those to see what it was like. And that didn’t happen, I’ve watched him shoot the one in the mid 70’s(75 I think) like it was a 45 pound bow. I struggled with one in the 60’s and couldn’t even make anchor with the 75. Needless to say I didn’t even ask to try the 84.... and I’m not a little guy. But he had some lighter ones too that helped me make the decision to go ahead and order one. Though I ordered a 55. Heavy bow world isn’t for me. It would take me a number of limb sets to work myself up that far to handle it like Buff does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X