Purchasing deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperExotics View Post
    Youll be fine if you are willing to shoot them to maintain population and feed free choice all year.
    what he said. but you have to promise not to post grip and grins pretending you hunted them.

Comment

contact Lin Poor over at Texas Wildlife Management he will answer all your questions and help you with anything you may need. He is our old biologist and good family friend, he’s a deer breeder himself and works with some of the best deer breeders in the state, lots of knowledge. Tell him Kyl Waterwall went you. Good luck with everything, looks like a great hobby.
      Last edited by DKW II; 04-29-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Looks fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
          When you get to many, I can give you the address to my place where you can release some. We need to add some diversity to the gene pool. Seriously though. If I had the $$ I'd love to just release deer around my place. Black Land Praire Farmland deer. Populations are isolated and spread far and few between. We're seeing them spread to new areas each year though.
          Yep, wouldn't hurt my feelings where my place is to drop about 100 head and make doe off limits foe 4-5 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            Thanks for all the responses! I contacted the biologist and left him a message to get back with me to get a little info. I read the website but was confused on what I needed to do, but like said above I think I just need the release site permit. As for the population getting out of hand I would probably just let my sons friends harvest some with their bows. Also thinking about raising some red deer to eat, wondering if they would be a danger to each other? As for feeding them I would have protein and cottonseed feeders for them.

I would avoid red deer. They can clear you out on the protein and cottonseed. And can be kinda distructive. If you have some decent grass and I would go with oryx. Great eating and can get real gentle on a smaller place like yours.

Comment

Working...
            X