Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myth Busted! - Rams are delicious to eat!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared from my Facebook page, www.facebook.com/killtoeat:

Who has ever heard about how nasty and inedible Aoudad sheep are? That didn't scare off my gorgeous girlfriend from making her first ever kill on our hunt this past weekend! She made a perfect 120yd shot with my 7mm mag and this gorgeous Aoudad ewe was toast! I can't wait to post about her first bow kill in the months to come.

I'm here to dispel the rumors - Aoudad is delicious! However, like all things, the devil is in the details. Some animals - like nilgai - can go straight to the plate after being killed, and be both tender and delicious. Others require more nuanced preparation.

Like all quadrupeds, the shanks of an Aoudad are extremely tough, and so we must braise them in a flavorful cocktail of delicious spices and liquids to melt the gristle between the muscles and thusly infuse the meat with gelatin and flavor packed goodness that will rival any $50 lamb shank plate at a high end restaurant.

Here's the recipe!

1. Start out with a pair of Aoudad hindshanks, cleaned and patted dry. Brown the shanks thoroughly in a skillet and hot oil (tallow, olive, or whatever else you prefer - I used olive this time)

2. Chop one whole red onion and add it to your clean, empty braising pot.

3. Place the browned shanks atop the onions on the braising pot, and add four bay leaves, one large tablespoon of minced garlic (seriously, this stuff beats the hell out of mincing your own garlic), two tablespoons of rosemary leaves and two tablespoons of thyme leaves.

4. Add four tablespoons of soy sauce, six of Worcestershire sauce, two cups of chicken/beef stock, and one cup of Cabernet Sauvignon. Also add a dozen kalamata olives and two tablespoons of brine from the olive jar!

5. Bring pot to a boil, then lower heat and braise (basically just simmer it) for five hours.

6. Use tongs to remove shanks from pot, and set them aside for a moment. Using a measuring cup, add a third of a cup of water into the measuring cup and start adding/whisking corn start to the water until the two look like very thick syrup - almost like Elmer's Glue.

7. Slowly start whisking this glue-like starch solution into your braising pot. Remember that the thickening effect of both starch and flour takes a little time to fully manifest, so dont expect the results to be instant. After about five minutes of whisking and slowly adding more and more, you will see your liquids in the pot start to take on a beautiful gravy consistency. Return shanks to the pot and allow to rest for ten minutes before plating.

8. I used orzo seasoned with butter, sea salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder for my bed, but feel free to use polenta, risotto or any of your other favorite carbs. :-)

Enjoy your five star meal made out of an "inedible" animal, and please let me know any questions you might have in the comments below!

Prost!

P.S. I'd like to extend a special shoutout to Bashans Ranch in Dilley, TX for hosting my beautiful girlfriend and I for a fabulous hunt! They are a top notch operation with excellebr guides and service, and have definitely earned my future business!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Gawd I want that meat in my mouth.

Comment

Looks good Sneaky, as always!

Shank and hares (Jackrabbits) are best braised no doubt! I am going to smoke some hog shanks this weekend though, just a craving.

What did Leah think, first field to plate for her!

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
          Looks good Sneaky, as always!

Shank and hares (Jackrabbits) are best braised no doubt! I am going to smoke some hog shanks this weekend though, just a craving.

What did Leah think, first field to plate for her!

Shanks turn out good smoked too! I smoked a deer and javi back leg and the shanks were delicious. Not tough at all

Comment

Looks amazing my friend! Really looking forward to killing an Aoudad now!

Comment

Looks good!! I killed one a few weeks ago. I had it made into breakfast sausage and ground meat. The sausage is great and so far I've made chili and taco soup with the ground. All good. I can't believe people don't keep them.

Comment

Thanks, y'all!

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Never heard good things but i'd try it!

Comment

I have had it as jerky and it was real good and have had be real bad

Comment

Finally tried this recipe on the ram I took last weekend. The entire family enjoyed it and was upset I didn't bring more meat home from the guys who didn't want it. Try it before you knock it. You may be surprised.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Incline View Post
                        Finally tried this recipe on the ram I took last weekend. The entire family enjoyed it and was upset I didn't bring more meat home from the guys who didn't want it. Try it before you knock it. You may be surprised.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
                        Reading this warms my heart! So glad you and your loved ones enjoyed the feast!

I'm just finishing off a bowl of this heavenly hog roast and watching four cute little kids demolish their bowls!

---

IG: greekbowhunter
                        Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Sweet

Comment

I gotta try this!!

Comment

I killed 2 rams a few yrs ago and it was some of the best roast I've ever had. Slow cooked the hind quarters in crock pot with oinionsoup mix was all I used. Hope to kill another soon.

Comment

I tried this with venison and it came out awesome. Thank you for the recipe!

Comment

Working...
                                X