No announcement yet.

New 37acre Ranch in Rocksprings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since there is Fallow and BB out there and I have to put a feed pen up to keep cows off feeders I was thinking of using regular 48" field fence. Seems that will keep the BB and Fallow out also. Looking for fencing suggestions to allow the Fallow and BB access but keep pigs and cows out. Understanding I by not doing field fence that some calfs and pigs will get in, I just don't wanna feed all of them or them trying to kill my feeders. My thought was to instead run 2-3 low strands of barb or regular 12awg wire and another about the 4' level. So bottom strands would be from 2-2.5' high to ground and then another at 4'. Enough to allow the fallow and BB to crawl through in places but keep most the cattle and pigs out. Thought and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Nice place. I'm not far from you and work a similar schedule. I've been here 2 years and the be been great. I bought a single wide and bring the whole family out on my days off. I'm currently sitting in a sweat box over a water trough waiting for the axis to come In

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
        Nice place. I'm not far from you and work a similar schedule. I've been here 2 years and the be been great. I bought a single wide and bring the whole family out on my days off. I'm currently sitting in a sweat box over a water trough waiting for the axis to come In

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
        Maybe we can hook up some time. If your 28/14 then we might always miss eachother. I am on the last 2 weeks of my hitch before heading home. I also need to get my blinds built, hopefully before the end of summer. Last yr did an axis hunt with my daughter in Boerne and bought and extra 12v feeder battery, cheap 12v car/desk type fan and a small cooler filled with ice and some water. Hooked fan to battery and used rags in cold water to keep us cool during the hunt. Would shut the fan down when we saw anything around. It wasn't ac but kept us comfortable. I have a pop up I might use out there in a couple weeks since my wife just informed me she needs more breakfast sausage. I told her to go buy some and her response was, isn't that why we just bought hunting property. Tooshay dear.

Comment

Wife and I are looking at a few places in RS too. Congrats on your endeavor sir.

Comment

Land

Originally posted by txlawdog View Post
            Congrats, nothing like having your own place to do EXACTLY what you want. You want to cut a tree, cut away. No asking for permission or forgiveness if you cut the wrong one or without asking. That's why I bought a piece outside Leakey. Only 50 acres, but it's about all I can take care of.
            You need to flush some of those Axis my way neighbor.

Comment

I just realized I need to add some pictures and update this thread. Usually when I go out I only have a few days to get things done so I am very busy and not interested in taking pictures. But I have added a 330gal tote for camp water, fenced around our camp area (just barbwire and lots more I wanna do), moved the feeder to our ultimate hunting position for this year and built and set up a 6'x7' box blind to hide in. The fencing around camp took awhile as I thought it would. It made me remember how fun and how not easy it is to drive T posts in the ground in this area. I have an auger now so I am going to try and post some 4x4 posts in so I can add a gate or 2 at camp. But for the most part its hunt ready for now. Hopefully these flash floods and all this rain the last few weeks isnt gonna put a damper on our relax/hunting time.

Comment

Congrats. We hunt in Rocksprings as well. In case you haven't found out yet, there is a feed store in town called country boys. Not sure what to tell you about the feeder pens. I don't really know how you could build it to allow the blackbuck in but keep the pigs outs.. You figure that one out and you may be on to something.

With that said, Blackbuck can be some real protein hogs. You may be doing better by keeping them out as well!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

b.latiolais

I have seen that one your talking about, North of the school of 377 if its the same on I am thinking. I had thought about trying them out. I have been using the Priour-Varga Wool and Mohair place over by the courthouse and Polaris place. The guy that runs it has been a really good guy to me. So far been really nice and helpful with feed and also where to find things in town. He will also always invite you to sit for coffee and resolve all the worlds problems with a few older gentlemen int he mornings. About 4-5 guys will sit in their little breakroom I guess you could call it and B.S. over coffee for awhile. Its kinda funny when you go in there actually. But I might try that place your talking about too. Thanks for the info and if I figure out the BB fence deal will let you know.

Comment

I'd just run 2 different feeders. One penned for deer, one open for hogs and blackbuck.

Comment

Working...
                      X