Info on Harper Tx hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on Harper Tx hunting

Anyone have experience in Harper area of Gillespie co? How is the exotic hunting ? Thank you

Free range exotics? Well they are out there. Escapees from high fence ranches. My property is on the Kerr/Gillespie border in Harper. If you have patience. The occasional Axis, Blackbuck or Muntjac does wander on by and we are getting hogs now quite regularly.

Comment

Hunted there north of town a few miles for 7 years, Never saw an exotic but once, a spike and he was on cam. Same for turkeys. Lots of deer but that area is growing leaps and bounds, lots of small acreages being sold and lots of building going on. Got too populated for me. Mediocre racks, lots of doe.

Comment

Depends on where you are in the county. Out towards the Doss area grows much better WT. we also seem to have more exotics. I have a few herds of axis that wonder through every few weeks. We are also covered in turkeys. If you let deer get mature and put the work in to feed them you can kill 150” deer. PM me what area you’re looking at and I can probably be a little more specific if you’d like.

Comment

I hunted there for 35 years. Loved the area; hated to leave. Lots of deer and turkey. Hogs began to move in a few years ago. The bucks will get big if you manage the does, feed accordingly, and mature to the right age.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen

Comment

West of town in Kimble county there are some low fence axis. We dont get any exotics where im at between Kerrville and Harper

Comment

I hunted there for about 12 years. The ranch we were on is now sold. It was about 7 miles west of town. Lots of deer and a reasonable number of exotics. If you want any specifics feel free to ask.

-john

Comment

This lease I’m getting is between Harper and Doss, year around feed program, they said not many exotics but sounds like it will be a good smaller family lease with house. Thank you all for the information

Comment

Here is a bit of info. The Bar O Nuthin Ranch in Harper on 479 sold 600 acres to a developer at $15k each! We have no idea of how large or small the parcels will be for the homes. This area is changing fast and becoming super expensive. Glad I do not belong to a HOA. The only good I see from that is the developer will chase all the game over to other properties.

Comment

I have a buddy that has a place between Kerrville and Harper and shot a great low fence 140 class buck last season and I have seen a low fence fallow doe in the area.

Comment

Thank you guys , I did get a small 320 acre place between Harper and Doss with house. Appreciate the information

Comment

I killed a 150, my buddy killed a 150 and my wife killed a 141 all within the same week. Bow kills back in 05. Lol. James River Ranch. Low fence. Season lease.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X