Traditional FSC Week 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 17

Going to simulate a quartering away hunting shot on a medium-size pig. Target will have a 6" circle, with a 3"x6" rectangular box overlapping 1-1/2" as shown below.

The circle represents the vitals, but you need to aim for the back edge to hit them on a quartering shot.

Orient target face to be at about a 45-degree angle to the shooter, with the box shape closest to the shooter. Flip paper either way you want for quartering direction.

First arrow of a day, shooting for the rectangle "kill box". IF you miss the rectangle, but hit in the circle (touching lines counts as a hit for all shots), you can try a second shot within 10 seconds as a follow-up finishing shot on your "wounded pig".

As in the previous couple of weeks, we'll walk back each next day after a hit in the "kill box", starting at 10-yards, then 13 yds., then 15 yds., and finally 20 yds. (Kiddos shoot from 5,7,8 and 10 yards). Four days' tries. Winner is the one shooting from the farthest point on Day 4. Tie-breaker will be the fewest arrows used total for the most hits.

Good luck and have fun!

Target (print this or draw your own);
    And set-up of mine (yours may vary)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tradtiger; 04-25-2021, 08:32 AM.

That seems backwards to me. That is a quartering towards you shot. You see em on TV all the time.If you are quartering away, you're aiming for the rest(covered) of the vitals.

Unlike TV, I don't or didn't take quartering to me shots.

But it is a nice target.
    Last edited by hpdrifter; 04-25-2021, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
      That seems backwards to me. That is a quartering towards you shot. You see em on TV all the time.If you are quartering away, you're aiming for the rest(covered) of the vitals.

Unlike TV, I don't or didn't take quartering to me shots.

But it is a nice target.
      Actually it simulates shooting just behind, or at the back edge of the vitals on a quartering shot so that your arrow centers the vitals. Where as too far up into the circle risks a single near side lung or even a shot where the arrow goes under the shoulder blade, but not into the chest cavity. A shot behind the box gives you maybe liver and back of far side lung but a definite stomach cavity shot.

Comment

Day 1: miss (maybe got liver)

Comment

Similar location to this. Arrow pointing to entry, but this was also a downward shot. It worked.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180506_130825.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	24649733

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Actually it simulates shooting just behind, or at the back edge of the vitals on a quartering shot so that your arrow centers the vitals. Where as too far up into the circle risks a single near side lung or even a shot where the arrow goes under the shoulder blade, but not into the chest cavity. A shot behind the box gives you maybe liver and back of far side lung but a definite stomach cavity shot.
            on a 6" circle...get real. should've just turn FSC 16 on edge. Line going vertical.

Comment

Your right. The vital area changes significantly in effective size for any angle change. And I normally don't take hard quartering shots, especially with a trad bow. Also that's why I aim for that offside shoulder.
              Hard to simulate that with a piece of paper.
              However if you have a better idea, post up the winning shot for the week and you can set up the next one.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Day 1 miss left at 10

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Your right. The vital area changes significantly in effective size for any angle change. And I normally don't take hard quartering shots, especially with a trad bow. Also that's why I aim for that offside shoulder.
                  Hard to simulate that with a piece of paper.
                  However if you have a better idea, post up the winning shot for the week and you can set up the next one.

The target is fine. I didn't mean to rag on the target. The premise just didn't fit my eye. Just shoulda kept my mouth shut.
                  I was gonna join in the fun, but I got no provision to move 45° from target and I just wrangled this thang into position. Maybe next time. But I'm fighting old demons; could probably hang at 10 or 12 yards but beyond that a six inch group is outstanding.

Think I about got one of em licked, and saving the other for after this one is exorcised.

Besides(excuse#3) I just make a new tab and breaking it in.

Comment

I should have read the rules a little better. I qualified for the 10 second follow up...

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                      The target is fine. I didn't mean to rag on the target. The premise just didn't fit my eye. Just shoulda kept my mouth shut.
                      I was gonna join in the fun, but I got no provision to move 45° from target and I just wrangled this thang into position. Maybe next time. But I'm fighting old demons; could probably hang at 10 or 12 yards but beyond that a six inch group is outstanding.

Think I about got one of em licked, and saving the other for after this one is exorcised.

Besides(excuse#3) I just make a new tab and breaking it in.
                      I don't like every challenge. Worse I hate trying to think them up.
                      Honestly regardless of angle I try to pick a spot and hit it. Even if shooting for an offside shoulder the spot I shoot at is on the near side.
                      Big problem I run into is low light shooting. Sometimes I find it hard to determine the angle the animal is at. How quartered it is. I've shot them in the shoulder and behind the ribs making a bad judgement in an almost dark or with low lumination LEDs.
                      But a slight quartering in on a big boar is a good shot choice.

Comment

Originally posted by tradman View Post
                        I should have read the rules a little better. I qualified for the 10 second follow up...

Yeah, my pigs never give me ten seconds. They run like hell.[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Comment

Yeah, my pigs never give me ten seconds. They run like hell.[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

My follow shots have almost always been when they are running right at me because I can't wait long enough before getting on the blood trail!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tradman View Post
                            My follow shots have almost always been when they are running right at me because I can't wait long enough before getting on the blood trail!!!

Yeah I've gotten where I'll go back to camp, grab a cold beer and a buddy then go track if I question the shot.

Comment

Great target, great shot and good lookin hog T^2.

Yee Hawg. Ill get on tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X