Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man my mouth is watering.

Comment

Only down side too a bumper dewberry crop is Ol' wives tale means hurricane season is gonna be a rough one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
        That looks good! Is that coco powder or cinnamon dusted on top?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        Turbinado sugar, if I had to guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
          Turbinado sugar, if I had to guess.
          Oh, ya'll fancy!

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
            We have picked two gallons so far. Made a pie and gave a lot to to my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Is that a crumble pie or a pie with streusel topping? Care to share the recipe?

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
              Where do you get those Charlie?

Sorry Doug, just now seeing this.
              Got them online from Stark Brothers. There are several places to order while in season, but these guys ship fast overnight and their plants are healthy. Tried a couple others but came back to Stark.
              This variety is Prime-Ark Freedom. They are a fruiting thornless primocane blackberry.

Experience the flavor of blackberries picked fresh from your own blackberry plants. Our blackberry plant selection also includes erect and thornless varieties.

Comment

Just finished our first batch of Jelly for this year... From our tame thornless blackberries...

Click image for larger version

Name:	First batch of Jelly 2020.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	24617837

Comment

Charlie, could you show how you have these planted? I am interested in growing some, but not sure if they need to be on a trellis or supported in some way.

Thanks

Comment

Grndchecker has A TON in his pasture. His wife has made 40 or 50 jars of jelly so far.....My 17 year old is supposed to be over there today picking a bunch so my wife can make some too... as well as a dewberry pie or three

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                      Charlie, could you show how you have these planted? I am interested in growing some, but not sure if they need to be on a trellis or supported in some way.

Thanks

I did mine just like this. Other than I let the weeds take over last year because it was so wet I couldn't get in there to mow.

Oh and my berries are planted in the ground not in tubs...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsnce7OiPjM&list=PLutBw50GI1zw9M4UxWAN3n9y eJ_WYS8TD"]💲CHEAP EASY TRELLIS FOR BLACKBERRIES AND RASPBERRIES 🍇GIVE YOUR BERRIES A LIFT! 💪You Can DO THIS ✔️👍 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Comment

The other one is simple

3 cups of berries
                          1 cup of sugar

Cook down
                          Then add 1 flour ( mom now changed it to corn starch) to 1 sugar to get desired thickness. Pour into pie crust and bake. Then sprinkle with cinnamon and powdered sugar. Best served with homemade vanilla ( I’m partial to blue bell. I grew up in Brenham )

Comment

I remember as a kid helping my dad plant a big garden every year, and each year he added bushes to his blackberries part of it. Dad planted, cut back, tended to the bushes, us kids picked and my mom canned jelly like SaltwaterSlick’s pic reminds me. Great pic SS, lots of work there but boy how good that jelly is going to taste this winter. I got to get me some bushes started, this post was what I needed to get going on it.

Comment

Mine are actually his old style with the single post and double wires with spreaders. Only pic I have that sort of shows the wires is this one, before I put in all the spreaders and tightened the wires...

Name:	IMG_7402.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	24617844

This is a comparison of regular Dewberries with my Prime Ark Freedom thornless primocane blackberries...

Name:	IMG_7338.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	24617845

No thorns and berries as big as the end of your thumb will spoil you when picking... (No stickers and don't take near as many berries to fill up your bucket)!

Comment

Great information SaltwaterSlick, you are the blackberries expert, thanks for the good advice and helpful pics. Oh, and I’ll take my blackberry jelly with just a little cow’s butter on toast.

Comment

Working...
                                X