Middle of North Texas Hunting Thread....Season 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    David, I hunted a place several years ago that had just finished up construction of a bunch of windmills. Corn piled up under the feeders up on top of the hills near the windmills. The deer didn't seem to like the sound of the windmills swooshing through the wind. But we had deer in the bottoms and valleys where there weren't any windmills.

A few years later, I hunted the Stasney's Cook at Albany. Lots of windmills there too, but they'd been there a few years already. All the deer on the place were born under a windmill. We saw loads of deer everywhere, including right under the windmills.

If you're half a mile or more away from a new windmill, it probably won't affect you. It might not be good to hunt in amongst the windmills for a year or two though.
    Thanks Shane
    The closest ones are 1/2 mile from our back fence. You can not hear them.
    My big concern is maintenance traffic around there. That fire we had the other day started right off a private dirt road that goes 7 miles back into the pasture cowboys house on the wag. He used to be the only traffic on it besides a oil tanker every now and then. Its about 3/4 of a mile from us. Now, they use that road to get to the mills.

Comment

That is a county road except for the mile long section that breaks off to the house. It loops back north and comes out on FM 1811 and has a lot more traffic than you think it does. Lot of traffic starting up soon due to roadhunters and what have you checking out the deer. Happens every year and no way to curtail it due to it being a County road.

Comment

Anyone else getting excited looking at velvet pics? We got more shooters on camera right now then I can remember ever having. Now if they will stick around for hunting season, thats a whole different story lol!!

Comment

I'm in again, headed out this weekend to feed and mow.
          RC

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
            Anyone else getting excited looking at velvet pics? We got more shooters on camera right now then I can remember ever having. Now if they will stick around for hunting season, thats a whole different story lol!!
            Yes. It's killing me not to go to the lease to pull camera cards. We've got some good deer. Seeing them in the fall? We'll see...

Comment

Hogs ran the deer off from feed spots last year. One showed up 2 days ago. Guess I'll get to start bow hunting early this year.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cram369 View Post
                Hogs ran the deer off from feed spots last year. One showed up 2 days ago. Guess I'll get to start bow hunting early this year.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
                Adding feed pens around feeders really helped us with that issue, along with killing every corn thief that gives us a shot

Comment

My fist season in Throckmorton looking forward to chimming in!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post
                    My fist season in Throckmorton looking forward to chimming in!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
                    Welcome!

Comment

1st year in Young county. Bought a place in Feb. Anyone seeing fawns? I have seen one on camera. We have great cover, just worried yotes are working them over. Got lots of deer ,just not seeing fawns.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                        1st year in Young county. Bought a place in Feb. Anyone seeing fawns? I have seen one on camera. We have great cover, just worried yotes are working them over. Got lots of deer ,just not seeing fawns.
                        We have a semi full of song dogs!
                        These are the first ones I have ever seen on camera with spots.
                        We were only seeing doe and fawns till 4-5 days ago. A few bucks are showing up now.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Abcdj; 08-23-2021, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Any news of doves flying around Wilbarger County? We're going up this weekend to fill feeders, pull camera cards, get out of town for a couple of days, etc.

Maybe even shoot a dove or two. Just checking on birds.

Comment

Does anyone hunt in our area anymore?

Comment

I’m getting pretty much nothing interesting on camera thus far, but that’s not unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                                Does anyone hunt in our area anymore?
                                Here. Got some decent bucks on camera. Absolutely no doves flying a week ago. Hopefully some are flying next weekend. Can't wait for the first weekend of October to get here.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X