No announcement yet.

Is the 6.5 PRC much better than 6.5 CM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a 6.5 PRC a few months ago for the same reason you are thinking of it. One gun to do it all. It will be a North TX whitetail/hog gun but will also go out west for antelope/mule deer/elk. I think either of these will be good for WT or MD. I went with the PRC for the extra performance down range for elk. I don’t handload either. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Comment

I have a 6.5 PRC and love it, but like RADAR says it doesn't have much if anything over a 270. I have one of those too. But,since you don't handload I'd stick with a caliber that has ammunition readily available in multiple outlets. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a mule deer or elk at 400 yards with any of the following calibers with a 140 grain pill.

6.5 Swede
      6.5 CM
      .270 Win
      7/08

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch1886 View Post
        I will agree and disagree with you Dale. That’s why I asked the questions that I did. If you can run the PRC in a long action and hand load then there is absolutely a difference between them. I shot a PRC that I built the load for all the way out to 1877 yards with 140gr Bergers consistently not just a random impact. You can’t do that with a Creedmoor, but if you’re shooting factory loads then you’re correct, there really isn’t that much difference. Sometimes intentions matter and jacking someone’s thread to get on a soapbox isn’t appropriate either. Reactions like this make people not want to ask questions on forums and make them feel unwelcome, which is absolutely untrue. These forums are supposed to be inviting for questions not make people feel belittled for asking a question.

Calm down, no one is belittling anyone.

He asked about shooting a deer at 400 yards...for which there is almost no difference in the 2. The man admitted he’s not a serious gun guy, but he felt the need to look into the difference between 2 rounds that are both perfectly capable of handling his desired task...probably in part to all the jabbering that goes on over 300fps, or what caliber someone has fallen in love with. When the fact of the matter is that anything from a 22-250 on up will work just fine. So find one you like, and party on, without worrying about all the aforementioned hair splitting and hand wringing that some of the modern gun nerds insist is gonna make some difference while shooting a deer at 400yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will agree and disagree with you Dale. That’s why I asked the questions that I did. If you can run the PRC in a long action and hand load then there is absolutely a difference between them. I shot a PRC that I built the load for all the way out to 1877 yards with 140gr Bergers consistently not just a random impact. You can’t do that with a Creedmoor, but if you’re shooting factory loads then you’re correct, there really isn’t that much difference. Sometimes intentions matter and jacking someone’s thread to get on a soapbox isn’t appropriate either. Reactions like this make people not want to ask questions on forums and make them feel unwelcome, which is absolutely untrue. These forums are supposed to be inviting for questions not make people feel belittled for asking a question.
          OP said 400 yards and he does not reload. If you had a choice between a 6.5 CM and a 270 what would you pick?

I dont think Dale was on a soapbox. He spoke the truth.
          Last edited by Radar; 02-14-2020, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
            This is what I am trying to do. I have killed many deer with a .270, but my old .270 is just that is getting old and rough and I am wanting to replace it with a single gun. I am not a gun freak. Other than family guns I do not own a gun that doesn't serve a purpose for me. I don't buy guns to set in the safe for years without use.

Hard to beat the good ol .270! If you want to change it up maybe go 25-06, 7mag, .280....or try the tame old .257 Roberts! Find a rifle you like, and get to it! Cause at the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter that much![emoji1360]

Comment

Nevermind not worth it. You made a good point about not jacking someones thread lol

Comment

This is what I am trying to do. I have killed many deer with a .270, but my old .270 is just that is getting old and rough and I am wanting to replace it with a single gun. I am not a gun freak. Other than family guns I do not own a gun that doesn't serve a purpose for me. I don't buy guns to set in the safe for years without use.
                Buy a new 270

Comment

Mule deer can be tough as hell to kill. Either caliber will do the trick but if buying a new gun purposely for mule deer, I would go with the bigger caliber. Now saying that, I have used a 270 and killed them out to past 400 yards.

The Bergara ridge in PRC has a 2" longer barrel and holds 2 less shells.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    Hard to beat the good ol .270! If you want to change it up maybe go 25-06, 7mag, .280....or try the tame old .257 Roberts! Find a rifle you like, and get to it! Cause at the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter that much![emoji1360]

Or all of them

Comment

I do not handload. I am wanting a good rifle for mostly deer hunting, but can be used for just about anything else I decide to go after. I want a good balance of knock down power without blowing a shoulder off a deer or myself! I am not a target shooter, I want to be able to shoot a deer at 50 yards but also have the confidence in the round to do so at 400 yards.
                      Of those two calibers I’d go with the Creedmoor, better factory round selection and if your never going to go past 400 yards you won’t be able to tell the difference.

By the way it bugs the crap out of me when someone specifically ask about a specific set of calibers and everyone starts hollering about all the other better calibers, in their mind anyway. Answer the mans actual question.

Comment

I like to swing the advantage in my favor as much as possible and i like guns . Go with a 7mm/.284 caliber. Just seems to be a happy medium between accuracy and bullet selection. The 6.5 calibers are awesome and my go to is a 6.5-284 norma right now. The 6.5 PRC is right there with the 6.5-284 but if you don't reload then go with the PRC. Currently building a .284 win just to have a little more weight flying in the air. It is all just a hobby. No different than making knives or working on a classic car. Have fun with it. I love the conversations about it. You can see what works for some and doesn't for others. There is always someone to say your wrong in your selection. I am sure someone will bash what i just wrote. Lol. It is pretty awesome to get to hunt with a gun that you had a say in its build. My $.02 for what it is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                          Mule deer can be tough as hell to kill. Either caliber will do the trick but if buying a new gun purposely for mule deer, I would go with the bigger caliber. Now saying that, I have used a 270 and killed them out to past 400 yards.

The Bergara ridge in PRC has a 2" longer barrel and holds 2 less shells.
                          Sorry, but any animal that can be killed with a bow is not tough to kill.

Comment

Ill say this of the PRC and Creed. Energy wise at 400 the PRC wont do anything the Creed wont do. The PRC will be more forgiving in windage and elevation though. Basically itll have less wind drift and drop, which will help out an inexperienced shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              Ill say this of the PRC and Creed. Energy wise at 400 the PRC wont do anything the Creed wont do. The PRC will be more forgiving in windage and elevation though. Basically itll have less wind drift and drop, which will help out an inexperienced shooter.
                              ^^^ exactly, only trade off is slightly more recoil and less rounds in the mag box.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                                Sorry, but any animal that can be killed with a bow is not tough to kill.
                                Sorry, have you hunted west texas mule deer? Yes, if you shoot them in the vitals they will die, but sometimes they don't give up easy. The last thing you want to happen after shooting a mule deer 400 yards is to watch it go over the ridge and have to track it.

What haven't people killed with a bow? That argument would indicate a 223 can do the job on any animal out there.
                                Last edited by JeffK; 02-14-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X