2018 Middle of North Texas Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tef View Post
    Im in Foard Co., it looks like they are getting the rain today! Ive been feeding pretty much all year. Started using Buck Ration, they seem to like it. We went dove opener, very few birds. Had 2 stands blown over, must of been a good one at some point. Planning to go soon and do a small food plot and top off feeders, and replace stand. If we have a few bucks show up we passed on last season, we may have some real potential. I've never shot a deer off of it, still holding out for "the one"!!! Good luck to everyone.
    There was a couple big storms that rolled through, we have to replace the windows in a rifle blind and blew over and had to completely replace a 2nd. Even though both we anchored one of them is halfway down the bluff in a couple different pieces right now

Probably making its self home to a ton of wasps

Comment

Looks like lots of rain around our area this weekend. I went out last Thursday evening and saw one small buck a coyote and 300 dove. Friday morning i sat in the House blind. Its about 350 yards from camp. I saw 1 doe and 5 bucks in very low light walk by me at 30 yards towards camp. They never stopped at the feeder. 3 of them were decent looking 10's prolly between 125-140. In the daylight walk back to camp I saw 10-15 different rubs. A couple were 50 yards from the trailer house. Sure seems early for all that rubbing to be going on. Come on colder weathet.

Comment

We got over 6” across from quanah flooding everywhere. A neighboring ranch said he has been up here 12 years and has never seen water in places it is at now . And it’s starting to rain again .. I am hoping to get my 12 year old on her 1st deer this afternoon with her bow taking advantage of the colombus day holiday!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
          We got over 6” across from quanah flooding everywhere. A neighboring ranch said he has been up here 12 years and has never seen water in places it is at now . And it’s starting to rain again .. I am hoping to get my 12 year old on her 1st deer this afternoon with her bow taking advantage of the colombus day holiday!!
          Hope yall get her a good un today. Stay safe and dry!

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
            Hope yall get her a good un today. Stay safe and dry!

Thank you!! she almost got drawn on a big old doe and about that time it turned just right the bottom just fell out and started pouring down! Maybe next trip ! Haven’t seen it rain like this anywhere in years !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have aoudad showing up pretty regular on our place west of Newcastle. Some really nice bucks as well. I had a monster show up opening evening but he winded me and didn’t come in. I had another really nice buck come in the next night about 5 min after legal shooting ended. I passed on the buck in the 13” thread I started because I’m hoping to see big boy again. It’s looking like a great year. Not many acorns so they’re still hammering corn. Oh, and hogs are plentiful this year.

I’m not sure why aoudad are considered a pain. I have a group of 4 showing up 2-3 times a week. They eat a little corn and some protein but they never stay long and so far haven’t torn anything up.

Comment

Originally posted by 4R Daddy View Post

I’m not sure why aoudad are considered a pain. I have a group of 4 showing up 2-3 times a week. They eat a little corn and some protein but they never stay long and so far haven’t torn anything up.

That's because you only have 4 showing up. They can reproduce very quickly, and they get really aggresive toward deer when their numbers get bigger.

Comment

That makes sense.

I guess the good news is we originally had 8 showing up and have only seen 4 for the last 6 months. I heard that the neighbors have shot a few but I’m not sure how dependable my info was.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    That's because you only have 4 showing up. They can reproduce very quickly, and they get really aggresive toward deer when their numbers get bigger.
                    Originally posted by 4R Daddy View Post
                    That makes sense.

I guess the good news is we originally had 8 showing up and have only seen 4 for the last 6 months. I heard that the neighbors have shot a few but I’m not sure how dependable my info was.

Are Aoudad NOT considered game animals in Texas? I see nothing pertaining to them in the TPWD site under "Seasons by Animal". I've never seen one and no absolutely nothing about them, but if one shows up, I wanna be prepared.

Comment

No they are not a game animal.

Comment

They are exotics so there is no closed season on them.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                          Are Aoudad NOT considered game animals in Texas? I see nothing pertaining to them in the TPWD site under "Seasons by Animal". I've never seen one and no absolutely nothing about them, but if one shows up, I wanna be prepared.
                          Shoot on site! You should know that they smell like hell and taste even worse...

Comment

I know a guy who got pics of 2 aoudad in Young County last week.

I was skeeter bait this weekend as well.

There was a ewe shot last season outside of Jermyn. Bish even had a few pics of it on our property

Comment

Shoot on site! You should know that they smell like hell and taste even worse...
                              Sounds like an ol' boar hog with horns & a beard.

Comment

New to the thread, wanted to let y’all know I hunt in Foard County, any one else hunt in Foard near crowell?

Comment

Working...
                                X