No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting to get excited as we will be headed to CO in a little over a week for a cow elk hunt. Sounds like a little snow has fallen in the area we’re hunting. Been working out, although I should have started way earlier, and getting gear in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My niece is visiting Colorado, and sent this picture from her hotel room to Uncle Bill.

I wonder if the Chevy pickup is loaded for elk hunting?

Comment

Buddy of mine shot this Bull a few weeks ago. Some of the biggest fronts I have seen.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow, you ain't kidding on those fronts. Congrats to him on a great bull.

Cold and snow flurries all week up here, bring your warm stuff guys.
          We had to pull camp due to weather expected in the mountains.
          Travel safe you all, the elk will be waiting .

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
            Buddy of mine shot this Bull a few weeks ago. Some of the biggest fronts I have seen.

Those are tremendous eye guards. What state?

Comment

Idaho-Ntl Forest

Comment

Man! I’ll have to try a black mask next year! Just kidding, congrats to your buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                  Man! I’ll have to try a black mask next year! Just kidding, congrats to your buddy.

Yea me to on the Black mask, been hunting Elk for over 30 years and have yet to put my tag on a Elk of that caliber.

Comment

Hey guys, got some questions maybe some of y’all can help me with. Me and a buddy are in the beginning planning stages of a DIY elk hunt in CO in 2 years or so. We’ve been looking at unit maps and such by the USGS and just trying to narrow down a search. Anyone have any tips on how to narrow down that unit search a little or resources to check out?

Comment

Spouse's 5 pt taken Saturday morning. Letting them age a bit then next weekend we have 2 antelope and 2 elk to process.
                      The elk in our area are moving down to winter range now.
                      We got lucky on both bulls, easy pack outs right downhill to the truck.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Congrats. Nice bull

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                          Hey guys, got some questions maybe some of y’all can help me with. Me and a buddy are in the beginning planning stages of a DIY elk hunt in CO in 2 years or so. We’ve been looking at unit maps and such by the USGS and just trying to narrow down a search. Anyone have any tips on how to narrow down that unit search a little or resources to check out?

Start at the beginning of this thread and start reading. Colorado is packed with folks in most places, and people are likely going to be tight lipped with their spot if it’s not packed. There is lots of good info in this thread. Also check out rokslide and gohunt.com.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                            Start at the beginning of this thread and start reading. Colorado is packed with folks in most places, and people are likely going to be tight lipped with their spot if it’s not packed. There is lots of good info in this thread. Also check out rokslide and gohunt.com.

Yeah I’m not looking for anyone’s spot at all. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                              Yeah I’m not looking for anyone’s spot at all. Thanks

Check the CO DPW web site. When I hunted there in the past, I remember them having good online hunting maps and guidance on how to do pre-season hunting research.

Oregon is another state with OTC tags and a good elk population- but the locals don’t advertise it. Search John Day Wilderness Area to start reading.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                                Spouse's 5 pt taken Saturday morning. Letting them age a bit then next weekend we have 2 antelope and 2 elk to process.
                                The elk in our area are moving down to winter range now.
                                We got lucky on both bulls, easy pack outs right downhill to the truck.
                                Sent you a pm wytex if you don’t mind answering some questions about a elk unit.

Comment

Working...
                                X