No announcement yet.

Teenage boys and car insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can get a vehicle that seriously limits the number of passengers, like a regular cab truck. A lot of people make their kids wait until they are 17 or 18 before they get a license. It used to be good grades would help with discounts, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore. A defensive driving course helps, too. Ask you agent for other discounts.

Comment

Y'all need to call my wife, she's been in insurance for over 20 years and can figure it out if need be, just PM me if you want her info, I don't want to step on any toes but it's her job to find the best coverage and oddly enough she takes great pride in good deals.
      Last edited by BiggieSmalls; 05-19-2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

There is a reason they are that expensive. That age group wrecks a lot of cars.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          I was called a second class citizen on here for doing this. The insurance company told me to do it. 😂🤣😂
          If you have a GOOD agent they will help you out !

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
            I've got him driving a 2004 POS Mitsubishi Lancer that's long since paid for. Whole dang car isn't worth $2500 lol.

Definitely going to shop around, but still haven't got an answer to part of the question.

If this is the reality, which it has been ever since I've been a teen driver, how do the poor or regular folks deal with it? Is it noncompliance/lawbreaking, don't let them drive, or make them work extra for it?

Lol and how do I convince my wife that the kids need to work for some of their stuff?
            Wow.... Do you have a high risk vehicle(sports car)on your policy?

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
              Wow.... Do you have a high risk vehicle(sports car)on your policy?
              Nope. Full coverage on a 2017 Honda Odyssey that's got another 1.5 years to pay off. Paid off 2007 Camry, paid off 2007 Tacoma, and the '04 Lancer, all with liability only, I think. Need to check, may have comp on the two Toyotas.

I'm definitely shopping around as we speak.

And I do get it... one of my son's friends left my house, tried to turn around in my neighbor's driveway, and ran into the flippin house, and it was his 3rd wreck in 6 months.

Comment

Definitely shop around. Got a 2020 Civic, 2020 Highlander, 2018 corolla, 2017 tacoma and 2013 Nissan nv 3500. With 3 college students and 2 adults for $450 a month. 100/300/100 coverage.
                Newest/expensive car not always means more expensive. My highlander is cheaper to insure than the corolla.

Comment

My dad had me pay for the insurance, gas and most of my truck. Will do the same when I have kids of my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With two kids driving, we split up on separate policies with different companies. My wife and one son is on one policy while I and my other son are with a different company on our own policy. It saved us a boat load. BUT don’t forget who can or cannot, per the policies, drive which vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                      Well, it's that time. Insurance figured out my kid has a drivers license, and his coverage adds about $300 per month to my monthly tab.

What do poor folks do? Do they not have insurance? Do they not let their kids drive?

Today I told the lady that insurance charges like that are a racket targeting middle class and up who can afford the payments.

I've got another kid on deck as well. $600 a month for them to drive back and forth to school is ****ed ridiculous.
                      Mine went up 371.00 per month when I added my 16 year old. The pain is real bud.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                        Cheap vehicle, no loan, and liability only
                        This plus they get to learn how to wrench on their beaters to set them up for the long run and be ahead of most kids who don't even know how to change a tire.
                        Also establish rules, like if they get any ticket, or in an accident and they are responsible for the insurance and the cost of the repairs to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Evictor View Post
                          This plus they get to learn how to wrench on their beaters to set them up for the long run and be ahead of most kids who don't even know how to change a tire.
                          Also establish rules, like if they get any ticket, or in an accident and they are responsible for the insurance and the cost of the repairs to their own.
                          Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBlueEyes View Post
                            Not much you can do rather than make sure the vehicle they are listed on is an older one that is paid for and only put liability on it.
                            This! I did 2 this way. 20 or so years ago my car insurance was about 800.00 a month, with two teen boys and Moma’s car. I can only imagine what it would be today.

Comment

all these fancy $80k trucks running around, it's not just what your kid drives, it's what the person they hit drives that the insurance co is worried about.

another note, insurance rates can be dependent on credit scores, so hard to compare what one person pays vs another.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                                In Texas our ins company explained you cant designate cars anymore for teenagers to drive. They have to be insured on every vehicle on the policy. Its not like it was 25 yrs ago. To many wrecked mom and dads cars and were not insured.

Maybe one of the few ins guys on here will chime in and explain.
                                Exactly!

We have State Farm and it went up $35 when I added my daughter and $55 when I added my son. We have 3 vehicles full coverage and 3 with liability only. The kicker is if your kids are A students they will get a discount like having a good credit rating. I thought that was kinda cool

Comment

Working...
                                X