No announcement yet.

Teenage boys and car insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been living with this for the last 6 years with my oldest. Our deal was I paid for car, insurance and gas until college graduation as long as he stayed on track and got good grades. He graduated from A&M last week in 3 1/2 years and starts his job on June 7. Over the weekend I handed him the title to his car and he got his own insurance and I got him off our cell phone bill all as of June 1!! Between all of that and his living expenses, I just got about a $1,200 a month raise!!

Comment

Cheap vehicle, no loan, and liability only

Comment

My daughter turned 16 last August. Don't remember how much it went up but it was substantial. Then she had a wreck and it went up even more...

Dad said when I turned 16 he called the insurance and said they must made an error. They said nope, you have a teenage boy driver.

Comment

You have my sympathy.......Having to deal with the insurance..........
          My parents pitched a fit, when I got my license................
          It added $69.00 a year to their policy........
          And, they made me pay'em back too...............

Comment

Purchase a vehicle that you can just keep liability on and list them as driver. My son has had several incidents and we are still having to do this for him at the age of 22.

Comment

It's absolute insanity! I'm working my azz off every day and with one teen, two twenty-somethings, and me & my wife it's nearly $1,000/month. Oldest boy just graduated from TTech last Saturday and is about to start the Master's program. I forewarned him that when he gets that last degree he's taking on his cell phone, car note, and auto insurance.

Comment

Full coverage for my 18yo son's 2017 Chevy Cruz is $350/mo.

Comment

$300 extra per month seems rather high. You need to shop around.
                  I got 3 teens/college kids, plus wife and me on 5 cars and it comes to $400 per month for full coverage with progressive.
                  I did had to change when I added the first kid, as the original insurance wanted an arm and a leg. But I've stay with progressive when adding second and third kid.
                  Last edited by jomw10; 05-19-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                    My deal with all three of my boys was we will provide their first car if they get a job and pay for their own insurance. The first two were working the day they turned 16, last one is 17 now and the car is sitting out front but he's still got no job so he's not driving yet.
                    My parents did the same , you want to drive get a job and pay for your own insurance, they were kind enough to give me a gas allowance to take my sister to school and back home before I went to work after school,

Comment

I've got him driving a 2004 POS Mitsubishi Lancer that's long since paid for. Whole dang car isn't worth $2500 lol.

Definitely going to shop around, but still haven't got an answer to part of the question.

If this is the reality, which it has been ever since I've been a teen driver, how do the poor or regular folks deal with it? Is it noncompliance/lawbreaking, don't let them drive, or make them work extra for it?

Lol and how do I convince my wife that the kids need to work for some of their stuff?

Comment

Purchase them something red , sporty in a convertible or purchase them a Red Jeep! Look at the insurance cost on those and you will feel much better about what you’re paying now :-o!

It is Horrible! We went through that- our children were a year apart too! They started working earlier than when they turned 16 and worked all the way through college / navy! We did Not go out and purchase them a new car , I passed them down my old work car and they learned how to climb the latter by helping me work on it whenever needed! They paid their gas ( that could Kill you real quick) they paid half of their insurance and if they wanted a cell phone they had to pay for that themselves until they went off to college or the military!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBlueEyes View Post
                          Not much you can do rather than make sure the vehicle they are listed on is an older one that is paid for and only put liability on it.
                          I was called a second class citizen on here for doing this. The insurance company told me to do it. 😂🤣😂

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                            How do some of these people afford the insurance and the new cars/trucks these kids drive now days? Lots of $70K 4X4 trucks in those school parking lots.
                            They don't!

Its the american way. Throw it on plastic and finance it. The parents themselves also, don't have a pot to **** in and live paycheck to paycheck

My kids will be helping with gas/insurance from their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                              In Texas our ins company explained you cant designate cars anymore for teenagers to drive. They have to be insured on every vehicle on the policy. Its not like it was 25 yrs ago. To many wrecked mom and dads cars and were not insured.

Maybe one of the few ins guys on here will chime in and explain.

This is my understanding as well. They are insuring the driver, not the vehicle. They will be added to every vehicle on the policy.

That being said, some of you are being ripped off. When my sons started driving and he got added to our policy it added a little over $100/month and our policy has full coverage on all vehicles and 100/300/50 coverages on liability.

He has his own policy now set up exactly as ours is and it’s $97 per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                                In Texas our ins company explained you cant designate cars anymore for teenagers to drive. They have to be insured on every vehicle on the policy. Its not like it was 25 yrs ago. To many wrecked mom and dads cars and were not insured.

Maybe one of the few ins guys on here will chime in and explain.
                                Some carriers are like that, others will let you designate a vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                X