No announcement yet.

S.n.h.f. 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have pics of deer they’ve taken at the Sam Houston NF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last years thread has some pics:
      https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...errerid=207048

Comment

I was out there last weekend with my mt. bike (which btw - is the best thing I started to use while scouting/hunting) - anyway - I found some trees with a sign posted "Payment Unit" - the sign had Color, Unit, and Sale. I'm guessing the Forest Service sales certain trees or plots to timber companies...?

Comment

Any tips for a new NF hunter?
          Do you set cams and then return and pull them? I'm assuming locks on the cam's, do you try and hide them out of site? I'm assuming look for sign in the area first before considering putting a cam up.

What kind of stands to you use? Clmbing stands, a light hang on with climbing sticks?

I like the idea of using a mountain bike to scout, how does that work for hunting? Just strap everything on and go slow in the dark?

Comment

Hey Dave - I'm not the most experienced hunter at Sam - this is my second year there - but since April I've been putting up my cameras and checking them then re-positioning/locating them in areas that I see good sign. I use cable locks around and one the camera (luckily I have't had any issues...yet).

Any mountain bike will work - don't get tricked into thinking you need to spend a thousand+ for a "hunting" bike - you can use a rear bike rack - strap your bag and stand or blind - in front you can use a pair of ATV rubber clamps to hold your bow/rifle (don't like doing this cause it can knock your sights out of alignment - if you wipe out most likely your bow/rifle will get damaged - you can strap it to your back). Or, you can go with a used child bike trailer and remove everything down to the frame and strap everything you will ever want or need (my preferred method) - it also helps to stabilize you on rough ground.

Only advice I can give is - get out there early - also, last year my buddy was walking on a designated trail and saw a guy rifle hunting out of a tree right on the main hiking trail (which is not allowed on this WMA) he called the Game Warden and the guy got a ticket - serves him right! Don't hunt on the main hiking trails you're supposed to be 150 yards away from the nearest designated trail. This place gets hunted hard so do some research on how deer behave when under high hunting pressure. Side note: not saying that anyone here is doing/or has done this - but please remember to pickup trash - I've seen countless number of water bottles, casings/shells, food wraps (i.e. granola bars), and even a couple of mattresses with broken clothes dresser.

Comment

I have both climbing and hang-on stands - I prefer to hunt from the ground but SHNF seems like it was made to hunt elevated - you can get to some really good trails that intersect each other with a stand that hunting from the ground wouldn't be optimal. I'm considering selling both stands and go to saddle hunting - seems like it's easier to pack in and out along with my "hunting" bike I wouldn't have to tow the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                Any tips for a new NF hunter?
                Do you set cams and then return and pull them? I'm assuming locks on the cam's, do you try and hide them out of site? I'm assuming look for sign in the area first before considering putting a cam up.

What kind of stands to you use? Clmbing stands, a light hang on with climbing sticks?

I like the idea of using a mountain bike to scout, how does that work for hunting? Just strap everything on and go slow in the dark?
                Go in farther than you think you should and do not leave anything you do not want stolen. There are some great deer in there but they are smart and tough to hunt. Climbing stands work well as there are lots of good trees. Second would be a lock on.

Comment

I am new to hunting, this will be my first season and I am planning on going to the west side of SHNF and doing ground hunting with a traditional Bow and a ghillie suit. Do any of you ground hunt SHNF? any tips or tactics? any equipment you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by carbon View Post
                    I am new to hunting, this will be my first season and I am planning on going to the west side of SHNF and doing ground hunting with a traditional Bow and a ghillie suit. Do any of you ground hunt SHNF? any tips or tactics? any equipment you suggest?
                    I'm don't want to discourage you, but what you are describing is probably the hardest way to hunt white tails. They are very skittish animals and when hunted heavy, like in the NF, they are even more so. Expect to not see many deer, and be disappointed often.

Just getting close enough for a shot will be tough, then getting your bow drawn without them seeing you will be even harder and then you have to execute the shot for a proper hit.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but I'm not sure this is the way I would start out.

Comment

Get you a climbing stand and start practicing with it now. You’ll be able to get up high and see more. It will also help a little with your scent, not being on the ground. Play the wind.

Comment

25ft or better on a climber and play the wind

Comment

During archery season do you still have to wear hunter orange? Last year I just always wore mine didn't want to risk getting a ticket

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                            During archery season do you still have to wear hunter orange? Last year I just always wore mine didn't want to risk getting a ticket

Anytime there is firearm hunting permitted, no matter the species, you must where hunter orange. Even if you aren’t firearm hunting. So if you’re bowhunting in November, you have to where orange. Because there will be firearm hunters out also.

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                              From my understanding it is not required in the archery only areas.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X