No announcement yet.

Wear your kill switch lanyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They were lucky. Is there really a need to go 60 mph?

Comment

Lucky SOBs

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Why did the motor trim down by itself after a while?
        This is a good question? I too wondered how it sped up but this makes sense now. That motor should've never trimmed down like it did. He was running the bouys on Toledo and just drifted too close to one and then when he adjusted the nose hooked on him.

I do agree there are a lot of new boat owners out there that have zero experience in driving a boat at higher speeds, and 60 is not high in my opinion. I would never run an aluminum rig at that speed but that's me. I will run my Triton at speeds higher than that all day, but then again, only in good conditions and with 30 years of seat time as well.

They were very lucky they didn't get run over.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
          They were lucky. Is there really a need to go 60 mph?
          Not for me, I'm fine in our big slow pontoon now days, but when I was 20ish or so and had a ski boat then yes, lol. My old 18ft skeeter would do 45-48 and that was plenty fast for me. If you've never skipped across the water after being ejected from a tube being pulled around 50 or so, it hurts, quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
            Not for me, I'm fine in our big slow pontoon now days, but when I was 20ish or so and had a ski boat then yes, lol. My old 18ft skeeter would do 45-48 and that was plenty fast for me. If you've never skipped across the water after being ejected from a tube being pulled around 50 or so, it hurts, quite a bit.
            Amen!! And that was when I was in my 20's still! I remember being ejected from a tube and skidding arse first across the water and getting a lake enima!

Comment

Something similar happened to a friend of mine and lost his arm if it would have been got a nurse fishing near him and was able to stop the bleeding he would have died.

Comment

Wow! The jump back Good Lord!

Comment

Same guy that was driving was the one that jumped back on the boat. The story states neither was wearing life vest, but doesn’t the father have one on that fills when it hits water or you pull the cord? They are very lucky and probably had to clean their shorts after that ride.

Comment

56 ain't squat in a bass boat. I fished with a guy who's gambler would run 80. But too much for those types of turns he was attempting with so little boat in the water.

I noticed the consoles had no windscreens which guys usually did to gain a few mph. I wouldn't assume they where inexperienced boaters. Just average weekend warriors tournament guys trying to be KVD.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                      Same guy that was driving was the one that jumped back on the boat. The story states neither was wearing life vest, but doesn’t the father have one on that fills when it hits water or you pull the cord? They are very lucky and probably had to clean their shorts after that ride.

They both had one on that inflated, I don’t understand why reporters or writers can’t do their homework before they submit articles, especially since the original driver was the one who jumped back on the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wear your kill switch lanyard

So many things wrong with this scenario... The industry has created a problem with these boars.. It really is amazing that more people don't die like this. I've seen Bass boats and Bay boats going so fast that the last 5 feet of the hull and lower unit are the only thing touching the water.. The need for speed while in fishing boats has reached a ridiculous level.. NO 24-25' fishing boat should ever be rated for a 300HP..
                        Last edited by PondPopper; 06-02-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          The industry has created a problem with these boats. NO 24-25' fishing boat should ever be rated for a 300HP..
                          I agree with you on this for sure. It's grown from the 200 class, to the 225 class and now you're not in the "tournament class" if you don't have a 250. All marketing and driving the prices up.

In all actuality, most bass boats over 20' is now unlimited. Most manufacturers are putting a 250 decal to keep some parity in the business. What has happened is the boats have shrunk a bit and been widened up. It used to be everyone wanted a 21' rig but most now are 20' 6-11". I know several guys that are within compliance running 300 motors on bass boats less than 21'. I believe the all the new SCB 22' boats are rated at 300hp now.

Comment

I went back and showed my son and his buddy this video after work Friday. After it finished playing, another video came up. It was a single fisherman, no life jacket and no kill switch attached that got thrown out of his boat. A dad and son fishing in the distance caught the accident on there gopro's and sped over to help. The old boy that got thrown out was totally wore out from treading water when they eased up to pick him up, almost having to lift him to get him in there boat before the unmanned boat ran into them. It was a miracle that 1, that his boat did not track back over the top of him, and 2, the dad and son was close enough to get to him before he wore down or cramped up.

Rwc

Comment

Sit down at the helm, attach kill switch lanyard then start the motor.

It really isn't that hard to do or to remember to do.

The boat that brought the driver back could have gotten much closer to the unmanned boat to make entry a lot more safer.

Comment

Good reminder, I am bad about not hooking up to the kill switch.

Comment

Working...
                                X