Big hog question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big hog question

I've been seeing a lot of pics of big hogs lately, and it got me thinking. I only have a few pig kills under belt. All of them ranged from 50-120lbs, and they ate really well. This big boy has been coming to the feeder every now and then. So my question is: Are big hogs (200+lbs) any good for eating?
    Attached Files

They can be. It's hit or miss on the big ones.
    Can make the whole thing into sausage if you want.

Comment

Never had a tasty one.

Comment

If you catch them, and cut their nuts off a few months before killing them then the meat is really good.

Comment

We killed this pig one night and decide to cook him then. We cut him up dashed a little seasoning and grilled him on a fire pit. One of the best hogs I've had to date.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, they can eat just fine. You will know by the smell of the meat. They all stink on the outside.

Comment

We have killed a few well over 200 that didn't smell. The guys that killed them took the meat and had no problems eating it.
              Then, there's been some that stunk to high heaven. Those were dragged off for the buzzards. Nobody wanted to try it!!

Comment

I do the smell test. If they smell nasty, they feed the coyotes. If they don't smell musky from 2 -3 feet downwind, then butcher away.
                Some of the tastiest pork I've ever eaten came from a big boar that didn't stink.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe_diem View Post
                  I do the smell test. If they smell nasty, they feed the coyotes. If they don't smell musky from 2 -3 feet downwind, then butcher away.
                  Some of the tastiest pork I've ever eaten came from a big boar that didn't stink.
                  Agreed^^^. People that say big pigs don't eat well are missing out

Comment

sows over 200 are okay.
                    boars seem to be hit or miss, but are best when fresh. seems like the freezer brings out the stank sometimes.

Comment

The fat is what gets stinky. Cut off all the fat ASAP.
                      Get the clean meat on ice

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                        The fat is what gets stinky. Cut off all the fat ASAP.
                        Get the clean meat on ice
                        Acorn fat is the bomb diggity. Just depends on what they have been getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                          sows over 200 are okay.
                          boars seem to be hit or miss, but are best when fresh. seems like the freezer brings out the stank sometimes.
                          This. In my experience with eating wild pigs the fresher the pig the better. I like to keep mine in ice water for a few days before cooking. Seems to bring out allot of blood and wild taste.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                            Acorn fat is the bomb diggity. Just depends on what they have been getting into.
                            had some big sows from down south this past spring after they were all fattened up on dewberries.. best pork ive ever had.

Comment

My favorite hog to eat is a 200# boar, the bigger ones can get tough and stinky. Sows typically have little fat because of feeding piglets and i really don't like baby pig meat, too tender and soft.
                              A lone boar that isn't too big lives a good life of sleeping, mating and getting the best grub because he rules the food source.

Comment

Working...
                              X