Boat transom replacement help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat transom replacement help

Has anyone had it done? Any ballpark on what it might cost? Its an old skeeter fish/ski that I got out of a barn that is in amazing shape except for the weak transom. I saw it sitting way back in a lady's barn and ask her if she would sell it and she gave it to me. Been in that barn for 16 years according to the last time it was registered and the number of dirt daubers on it. If you know of anyone around Tyler/Longview that does it I would appreciate a contact.

Thanks

I did one myself and it turned out pretty good. Cut the fiberglass cap off, dig out all the old wood, pour in the new transom. I think total cost was like $180.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
      I did one myself and it turned out pretty good. Cut the fiberglass cap off, dig out all the old wood, pour in the new transom. I think total cost was like $180.

Pour?

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
        After reading your post I did some research on it. I had no idea they made a pourable transom material. I can do it myself I think. Thanks

Comment

Yes it's not hard just time consuming. Good luck!

Comment

I had mine done a couple years ago and it was far from $180. it was labor intensive. I would estimate it was two weeks labor
            Attached Files

Comment

My buddy’s transom cost 3k to replace

Comment

Check the engine well for dobbers nests, they blow an engine if sucked in the intake. I might would just pour a seacast transom if the boats not in excellent shape, its cheaper, heres a good post with info of a guy that did an old champion that way https://texasfishingforum.com/forums...ampion_transom

Comment

The pour in is super solid and wont rot like wood. Its a heck of a lot of work but worth doing yourself since most places will charge a couple grand.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                    Has anyone had it done? Any ballpark on what it might cost? Its an old skeeter fish/ski that I got out of a barn that is in amazing shape except for the weak transom. I saw it sitting way back in a lady's barn and ask her if she would sell it and she gave it to me. Been in that barn for 16 years according to the last time it was registered and the number of dirt daubers on it. If you know of anyone around Tyler/Longview that does it I would appreciate a contact.

Thanks

I’m in Longview and have done many of them. I won’t do it for $180 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had mine done at McNeil Marine in Austin, Texas. Great guy and did excellent work. Replaced stringers, motor mounts, transom. Required pulling engine (inboard/outboard) and putting back in and realignment. It cost $3500 and came with a 10 year warranty. Brian McNeil is the owner and usually really busy.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                        I’m in Longview and have done many of them. I won’t do it for $180 though.

How much? Pour in or replace the wood? It sounds like the pour in is easier and better?

Comment

Is the motor good? Before you spend $ on a hull you should be sure you know the total budget #. No such thing as a free lunch or a free boat.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                            Is the motor good? Before you spend $ on a hull you should be sure you know the total budget #. No such thing as a free lunch or a free boat.

Oh and we are gonna need some pics!

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                              How much? Pour in or replace the wood? It sounds like the pour in is easier and better?

The pour in is just a high density urethane foam. Same thing as the gap filler foam you buy at Lowes but a 15-20# density versus 1.9#. I use PET foam board and tie it in with carbon fiber and epoxy resin instead of fiberglass and polyester resin. You have to gusset the transom loads into the lower portion of the hull or you’ll eventually have problems no matter what you do.

Hard to tell what all is busted out from your pic but just holding my thumb up and closing one eye I’d say $1350 What size motor are you running and do you have a jack plate?

Comment

Working...
                              X