Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
    I am going with no. Private schools and home schools consistently outperform public schools with considerably less money for everyone involved. Public schools already get way too much money from the taxpayer, so restructure/reallocate until their performance equals private schools, and when it does then maybe the taxpayer should consider putting more money into that pit. The money is there, it is just being misspent
    Apples to oranges. They don't have to play by the same rules and don't have to accept all kids.

Comment

No on an increase. Start cutting fat. When you think you have, look again and cut some more. Then and only then would I consider it.

Comment

no to raises. my wife is a teacher and $5k isn't going to do anything to fix the mess called public education. privatize it and the cost per kid will go down, teachers would earn more money and the quality of education would dramatically improve. Public school is just another example why govt shouldn't be running anything.

Comment

My whole point was that I don't think most people understand how public school teachers are paid...from property taxes. I was curious to see who supports teacher raises and if they have previously been complaining in the multiple threads about increasing property taxes. Supporting the raises while not wanting property taxes to increase is contradictory. Local taxes pay the salaries.

To think that most school districts can fund those raises from cutting expenses is naive at best and those that believe it most likely have never had to manage a budget of that size and complexity. The largest percentage of school district expenses are salaries! The raises are not a one-time expenditure. They are annual expenditures and have to come from somewhere. That somewhere is property taxes.

Almost everybody thinks school administrators make too much money. Pflugerville has over $300 million in revenues, 30 campuses, and 25,300 students...projected to increase to 28,000 in 5 years. Folks, that is a sizable business, and CEO's of private businesses of that size will be making high 6 to over 7 figures in salary. I contend that MOST administrators are not overpaid, but it is popular to complain about it.

For what it is worth, cehorn, Pflugerville ISD has not raised their tax rate in 5 years and actually lowered it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
            Apples to oranges. They don't have to play by the same rules and don't have to accept all kids.
            So change the rules. No since throwing money at a problem and expect things to change, that hasn't worked and will continue to not work. If the system doesn't work correctly, (and most would agree that it doesn't) fix the system instead of reinforcing a broken one

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
              So change the rules. No since throwing money at a problem and expect things to change, that hasn't worked and will continue to not work. If the system doesn't work correctly, (and most would agree that it doesn't) fix the system instead of reinforcing a broken one
              Exactly. The government is incapable of running anything well. The education system is just like Detroit, California, Venezuela, etc.... All run by big government bureaucrats. Their only answer to fixing everything they screw up is to tax people more and dump more money into the failed system. It never fixes anything. The amount of tax money being paid into the system isn't the cause of the problems. The government system is the problem. Get the government out of education, and it will be better for all involved, teachers included.

Comment

This is a great example of why I love teaching. Adults are annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Exactly. The government is incapable of running anything well. The education system is just like Detroit, California, Venezuela, etc.... All run by big government bureaucrats. Their only answer to fixing everything they screw up is to tax people more and dump more money into the failed system. It never fixes anything. The amount of tax money being paid into the system isn't the cause of the problems. The government system is the problem. Get the government out of education, and it will be better for all involved, teachers included.
                  True but who will run the military, prisons, LE, Fire and EMS? Will the free market set up schools in the ghetto? No, they won't as there will be no profit. I hate the govt more than most but pure capitalism is just as evil as pure govt control. Sending children down a mine shaft comes to mind.

Comment

https://medium.com/@mattmargolis/do-...s-ae97079eb724

Comment

Those who are whining about higher taxes need to get a better job so you can afford them. 😂

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                        Those who are whining about higher taxes need to get a better job so you can afford them. 😂
                        Good one!

Comment

Those who are whining about higher taxes need to get a better job so you can afford them. [emoji23]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have managed to stay out of this thread until now but that one is greatness!

Comment

X1000. Best yet

Comment

raises should be based on performance, but it obviously does not work like that in state or federal jobs

Comment

Working...
                                X