Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    They keep raising the offer
    Hmmm... if they are raising their offer... they either want it badly to complete an area...or they know something coming down the pipe.

I think you are close to my brother. He is in Eagle Creek Ranch off 281.

Comment

I wouldn’t unless I could buy more with the proceeds than I was selling

And I sure wouldn’t sell if it was in an area I wanted to be in and couldn’t replace what I was selling

Even if I was considering selling I would not get in a hurry, they may get real stupid with the future offers

Any idea why they are so interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
        I wouldn’t unless I could buy more with the proceeds than I was selling

And I sure wouldn’t sell if it was in an area I wanted to be in and couldn’t replace what I was selling

Even if I was considering selling I would not get in a hurry, they may get real stupid with the future offers

Any idea why they are so interested?

I own an easement to two other properties, that may have something to do with it. I made it clear that minerals and water stays with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          I had a man offer me quite a sum of money for my place. I can keep minerals and water rights. He wants my equipment, blinds and etc. Never considered selling before and I been aggravated thinking about it.

Y'all that have sold out, have you regretted it?

Did you just pay the capital gains and move on? I dont know if I would buy another chunk of land again.

If I do sell out then what?

I aint got but a few years left working and I really do not know what to do.
          I sold mine Jeff, lock, stock, and barrel. I owned it 11 years, spent way too much labor and sweat, and a considerable amount of $ on it. I bought it pretty cheap though, paid cash, and owner financed the sale with 15% down. I haven’t regretted it whatsoever and that monthly check will let me hunt pretty near any place I want to. YMMV though, as some get sentimental about land, but mine had no family ties so it didn’t twinge too much.

I did enjoy the process of taking a piece of raw land and turning it into a pretty nice hunting property though, complete with 5 acres of food plots, nice roads, and a nice 1200 sg.ft. house. All the guy had to do was move in and bring his gun. If I had it to do over, I wouldn’t change a thing.

I feel the need to add that my age had something to do with my decision. Some of you younger guys may not understand this, but I’m 72 and I do own 87 acres where I live and have a cheap deer lease 20 minutes from the house. That factors in, plus the fact that food plotting spring and fall on three places is getting to me. I can’t go like I used to, nor do I want to. Jeff may be feeling like that too !
          Last edited by Drycreek3189; 10-10-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

If you do a 1031, you can either identify the property and have the buyer purchase it and then trade or use a qualified intermediary to hold the funds. You have 45 days to identify the properties you want to consider and 180 days to close. It doesn't have to go into only one property and it doesn't have to be raw land. If you do sell, state the selling price for the improvements (blinds, stands, equipment) separately as these are not eligible for 1031. Technically, non investment or business property is not eligible for 1031, but since you are selling it for a profit I don't think you would have any issues with that.

Talk to a CPA before you sign the contract.

Comment

Hard to say since I have never been in your situation. But I do know I have been working/trying my whole life to try to get a piece of property and so far only have 10ac. so selling a decent piece for any purpose other than to buy a better/larger piece does not compute in my brain.

Either way, best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                Hard to say since I have never been in your situation. But I do know I have been working/trying my whole life to try to get a piece of property and so far only have 10ac. so selling a decent piece for any purpose other than to buy a better/larger piece does not compute in my brain.

Either way, best of luck to you.
                This is true Mike, I gotta do some figuring and contemplating.

Comment

Good move to retain groundwater and mineral rights. I'd also try to keep the wind rights. I've worked on some large ranches in the Panhandle and West Texas on groundwater projects. Those are nice mailbox trips when the owner's get checks from groundwater, wind farms, oil & gas leases and royalties.

Comment

1031 your money into some income producing properties and with a portion of said net profits take some cool hunts on other folks places that put in all the work. I know the work for most of us is 70 percent of the fun but residual income is fun as well.

Comment

No brainer for me. Everything I have is up for sale. Property is just property. Hunting property for me gets boring. End up not hunting and knowing the deer too well. I’d rather travel and hunt out West.
                      Last edited by glen; 10-10-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Yep. What everyone else said, 1031 exchange

Comment

The only reason I say this is we have 150 acres we live on and places all around us have been selling and subdividing. I know the hunting will be going down hill in a hurry in the next 5 years. So our thoughts is what I highlighted above.

Comment

I sold two hunting properties 2 years ago and did a 1031 into a strip center. I was looking for cash flowing assets but dearly miss owning my own property. Looking at a place in se Kansas right now.

Comment

Will selling this place let you afford a better place? If so, I say jump on it. If not, stay put. Land values aren’t going down.

Comment

Originally posted by bounds View Post
                                Unless youre in love with the property you have, I’d do a 1031 exchange and take the profits and go buy another piece of property. That will keep you from paying capital gains and you can find a place you don’t want to part with.
                                This...

Comment

Working...
                                X