No announcement yet.

AR15 on deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same thoughts for my wife who does not like a gun that kicks and I needed an adjustable stock. After playing with calibers I settled on the 224 Valkyrie. Shoots critters lights out with a heavier 90 gr bullet and has no kick like my 6.8 does. It uses the 6.8 mags but I already had some so was set up for the caliber.
    She took 2 does last year and really enjoyed it. I managed an Axis buck and many dozens of hogs, we really like the 224V.

Comment

i have shot them with my 556. Just use the heaviest grain you can find. academy has a hog round that i think it 64gr.

Comment

I know deer have been taken with 22 rimfires from what old timers have told me. A 223 will work, but shot placement and bullet choice are critical. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
          I’m sure it’s been brought up before but since my rifle will be at a smiths for around 2 months I might have to hunt with my 5.56. I know many a deer have been taken with a AR but it’ll be my first time hunting with it. What are your thoughts?
          if it works on this a deer should be no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And this one also!

Comment

A 55gr, and up, to the face works wonders. Otherwise neck shots are the way to go.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Well I dropped off my larger caliber rifle at the smith today it’ll be 4-8 weeks before it’s ready so it looks like the AR will come out of the bull pen for opening rifle season and some hog hunting this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post
                  if it works on this a deer should be no problem.

Wow those are some monsters

Comment

Mine was #310 the one my wife killed was #385

Comment

Yes

Comment

Almost every year ill bust one with a. 223, i have an ar-10, but alot more pleasant to carry the small one

Comment

55gr Remington PSP gets the job done for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Get some 64 grain Federal Fusions and shoot them in the shoulder. Done deal. All of my kids have killed deer this way growing up. Just don’t use dang varmint bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This.....or the Speer Gold Dots. Never had an issue and have killed a bunch of deer and hundreds of hogs. Most all shot right in or behind the shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                              55gr Remington PSP gets the job done for me!
                              This is what my daughter shoots through her handi-rifle. Shot placement is key as always.

Comment

Barnes Vortx bullets! My daughter has killed a lot of deer and a big 200lb �� boar with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X