No announcement yet.

AR15 on deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve never killed a deer with a .223, but I have killed several hogs with them. I shot Hornady Superformance 75 gr. BTHP and they were deadly on hogs. That’s what shot well in both my Mossberg ARs. Since then I’ve rebarreled two ARs to 6.8 and I much prefer it. I’ve killed two axis does with it but deer hunting I use a .280 Rem.

Comment

Shouldn't be an issue. Shoot them in the neck

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Comment

Any bonded bullet and shot placement the .223 is good to go

Comment

60 yard shot
          Hard quartering away
          .223 55 grain Vmax
          Bullet entered behind last run on right side.
          No exit
          No blood
          Recovered pig 80 yds from where I shot him.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

223,5.56,22-250,222 will ALL kill if one can hit 'em heart/lung or for those neck/head shooters.

Comment

Bullet selection is critical

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a 77 grain Sierra Matching, pigs and deer both get lung shot. It leaves one ugly exit hole and have yet have anything go far. My son shoots the 64 grain Winchester hog special it won't quite exit a whitetail but he has yet to have one go over 30 yards. I have recovered all 3 bullets and the expand to nearly 1/2" and have weighed 60 grains.

Comment

I re barreled a couple of my ARs to the 25-45 Sharps cartridge and I like it much better than the 5.56 on deer. The Sharps throws an 85-90 grain bullet near 3k fps and its as simple as a barrel swap from 5.56. Uses same bolt, mags, etc .

Comment

Barnes 55 grain to the vitals
                    Last edited by Mambajeep; 10-07-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Federal fusions, barnes or hornady gmx. Or any psp really that’s over 55 gr if you’re gun will shoot it

Comment

I've killed a truck load of axis, hogs, and feral sheep with my AR shooting the 64 grain Winchester Ranger PowerPoint. I've never had anything run more than 20 yards when hit. I've run out of that ammunition and have moved up to the 75 grain Speer Gold Dot since it shoots sub MOA in my rifle. I'm anxious to see what they do to a critter.

Comment

Tagged. Wanting to get one for my son because of the adjustable stock.

Comment

Agree with the neck shots. I prefer to shoot them in the white patch or base of the neck when they are broadside. If you do base of the neck when they are facing you, you end up with bullet fragment in your backstraps.

Comment

Shot placement is the key. I've killed deer and hogs with 223,243, 30-30,270,and 30.06. They are all deadly with good shot placement. I don't think I would look past 150 yds. with the 223 though on larger game.

Comment

I was a doubter till a buddy of mine shot a big south Texas management 9 pointer at 160 or so yards and double lunged it with a Barnes 62 gr Hog Hunter (solid copper i believe).

There were no lungs left....it liquified them. I've never seen carnage like that.
                                It ran about 25 yards...easy track.

My buddy's kids both use .223 bolt guns. 62 grain soft points. Right behind the shoulder and they drop or drop in sight.

Like most have said....shot placement.
                                But it'll kill em deader than a door knob if you do your job.

Think about this: How many deer have fallen to the venerable .222 over the years?

Comment

Working...
                                X