seeding oats w/ fertilizer spreader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seeding oats w/ fertilizer spreader?

I don't have a sack spreader but I can borrow one but I do have a walk behind fertilizer spreader made by Scott's I think.
    Why couldn't I fill it with seed and pull it behind my ATV to seed Buck Forage Oats?

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
    I don't have a sack spreader but I can borrow one but I do have a walk behind fertilizer spreader made by Scott's I think.
    Why couldn't I fill it with seed and pull it behind my ATV to seed Buck Forage Oats?

How big an area are you planting?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      How big an area are you planting?
      Three 1/2 acre plots

Comment

Go for it

Comment

I disc deep then put the oats in my corn road feeder on the back of my golf cart. Spread it with the corn slide door only half open, then come back with the disc only barely scraping the dirt and on this pass I have a large fence panel weighted down dragging behind disc. With oats the most important part is they are only under about 1 to 2 inches of soil.

Fertilizer spreader should work good as well.

Comment

thanks

Comment

thanks
              Some of the rental places rent those pull behind spreaders.

Comment

Its gonna bounce around alot and be hard on it. You can use a road feeder if you have one.

Probably be better off borrowing the sack spreader.

Comment

Don't put fertilizer in a road feeder. If you do rinse it out use dawn soap or you going to be buying a new motor.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    Don't put fertilizer in a road feeder. If you do rinse it out use dawn soap or you going to be buying a new motor.
                    I thought he wanted to plant oats? Yeah dont put no fertilizer in that it will be toast.

Comment

We usually get a dry fertilizer rig from local feed store with the seed and fertilizer already mixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        I thought he wanted to plant oats? Yeah dont put no fertilizer in that it will be toast.
                        Yeah he just said oats but figured I would throw that out there as well while were talking about planting

Comment

I’ve got friends that do it every year. I don’t know how many acres but enough that they park an 18 wheeler and a pneumatic trailer full of seed at the edge of the fields. And fill it up multiple times a season. Must work

Comment

I did it once. ONCE. It sucked pushing those little tires around on disked soil. It bounced around, and would get hung up and spill. PIA for me. I would rather spread it by hand.

But…....you may have more patience than me. If you do, go for it. I did get a good stand.

Comment

It will work but not very good I tried it once. It will either hop and bounce around and not spin, or the tires will simply drag across the dirt and not spin. The best bet is to buy a road feeder for small plots.

Comment

Working...
                              X