No announcement yet.

Another caliber thread . . . This one is a little different though

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keeping it simple can have it's own dividends like resale at some point if you decide,, a 44 revolver is not too hard to sell, has more than enough power, they tend to be very accurate,,, and the factory ammo selection makes the others far less useful ,,,,

if you don't not reload now, get the 44,,, because you might not ever start and it is way easier to find than the 454 or 357 max,,,, there is also no real reason to get the 44 in a single shot,,, because it can be useful as an all around gun,, not hunting only
    Last edited by xman59; 10-11-2018, 07:06 PM.

Comment

44 works easy to find bullets for

Comment

Shane’s gun or that 629 in the classifieds would fit the bill nicely. I’ve been considering trying to kill one with a pistol myself. All I’ve got is a few 357s and a 45 LC. Should still work fine.

Comment

I'm a .41 rem mag guy and I reload my own with starline brass. Shoot Leadhead gas checked 270gr slugs with 20.6 gr H110 at about 1450-1500 fps depending on which gun. I like the .41 because of it's flat trajectory making it a solid 100yd hunting pistol. Both my Ruger SS Bisley hunter and my Taurus Ragin Bull are solid with 2" groups at 100yds. These big old flat nose lead slugs rally smack when they hit soft tissue and knock the squeal plum out of a big hog. The 2x28mm weaver scope is all that needed and holds up the the harshest recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Shane’s gun or that 629 in the classifieds would fit the bill nicely. I’ve been considering trying to kill one with a pistol myself. All I’ve got is a few 357s and a 45 LC. Should still work fine.
            Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 10-12-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              I have a Freedom Arms Premier Grade .454 Casull I'd sell or maybe trade, if you're interested. Leupold 2x scope, another Leupold red dot sight, holster, 8" barrel, about 500 rounds of loaded ammo and brass....

It's a great hunting pistol.

I vote for this. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull and it’s a beast on big hogs.

You can also shoot 45LC for deer. If you don’t reload Underwood makes some fantastic high horsepower 45LC loads with hard cast bullets.

IMO this would give you the most versatility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a Sig P220 Hunter in 10 mm. It's a beast and is really fun to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                  Thank you. Would you mind PM'ing me a price. That is pretty.
                  PM sent

Comment

I am looking at purchasing a handgun to hunt with and I was wondering what caliber some of you might reccommend.
                    Different, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      Different, huh?

Comment

For you?
                        The Smith .44 Mag.

Comment

I would go with the 460. They are all great, but the versatility to use 454 and 45LC as well, kind of sets it apart. Love the maximum, but ammo selection will be limited at best these days.

Comment

Of the three cartridges listed, I'd go with the .44. As ammo will be more readily available. You can also shoot .44 Specials which is like a .44 short, for plinking, defense, smaller shooters, and just plain ol fun. Lots of heavy loads can be run in a .44 up to +300grains. And back down to 180gr. I've owned a .44mag in Contender with the 10" octi-barrel. It was pleasant to shoot with the hopped up Specials. Mags were a handful with the lighter 10" octi-barrel. With practice and a good set-up in the Super 14 and scope, you can reach up to 150 for deer. It really don't take much to put a Texas deer down when you look at the ribs size. They break very easily. Large hogs are another subject. And prefer them a bit closer with the .44 mag. My first pistol deer back in 1984 was with a Super 14 in .41 mag and no scope. It's also my favorite rimmed magnum cartrige for Texas critters. My last pistol deer was with a Super 14 in .35 Remington with an old Burris 1.5-4x LER, through the neck at 101 yards.

As to my current "go-to" for hogs, I'm shooting a .45/410 from a 10" bull barrel T/C with some pretty hot loads. Accuracy is not great because of the bullet jump in the .410 chamber. But it's more than enough to put down hogs at 30 yards or less with my hot loads with a 250gr Hornady XTP, and 2400 powder. I like the .410 option because if I run across some quail or small game, I'm instantly ready for dinner once I screw in the little choke tube. I've also shot those same hot loads from a Super Redhawk in .454 like above. And the weight of the Super Redhawk (without a scope) really tamed them down to nothing.

Once again, I'd pick a .41 Mag if I was just deer and hog hunting in Texas. But a .44 in the TC with a 10" bull will do just fine, with or without a scope. And with the 10" and open sights, it's not overly cumbersome to still carry it while rifle or bow hunting.
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-13-2018, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Michael, that 10" 45/.410 bbl is one of my favorites! It was actually the first contender I ever bought... that's what started my t/c addiction!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                Michael, that 10" 45/.410 bbl is one of my favorites! It was actually the first contender I ever bought... that's what started my t/c addiction!!

Yep, one of my favs for all around carry at close range.
                                I've got several barrels in different cartridges, and a couple of frames.

Comment

Working...
                                X