No announcement yet.

Best Dove Fillet Recipe... Prize awarded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can use dove in place of many meats. Chicken fry, grilled, poppers, etc. The main thing is don't over cook it. If you keep it to a maximum of medium rare - medium temperature, you will always have great eats. It will be tender, juicy, and have a wonderful flavor. It's a great meat. Just like most game animals, it is so much better than chicken, unless you cook the crap out of it. Then a lot of people say taste like chicken or liver, which has a lot to do with the fact that you have to cook the crap out of yard bird (chicken).

Comment

Tag

Comment

If you want to get fancy, you can cook Bad Day Dove Porcini Risotto.

1 tbls butter
        3 cloves of minced garlic
        1 white onion, diced
        1 cup of arborio rice
        1/2 cup white wine
        1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
        4 cups of Beef stock or you can make your own dove stock from the dove bones
        4 dove breasts, chopped
        1/2 stick of additional butter
        1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Melt the butter in a large pan and sautƩ the onion for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add in the mushrooms and cook an additional minute. Add the rice and stir until coated with butter, about 30 seconds. Add the wine and stir for 1 minute. Place the dove into the mixture and add the broth little by little and keep stirring until the rice absorbs the broth and becomes soft. Stir in the additional butter until creamy. Finally stir in the Parmesan and salt and pepper to tatse. Enjoy!

If you want, add a bit of truffle oil once it's finished for some zing!

Comment

Whatever you can do to add bacon and jalapeƱos and other stuff that tastes really good usually works best. Dove ain't quail.

Comment

I am getting tired of bacon wrapped dove with cream cheese and jalapeƱos (sacrilege, I know).

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
              I am getting tired of bacon wrapped dove with cream cheese and jalapeƱos (sacrilege, I know).
              Me too.

Shoot more quail.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                Soak in raspberry/chipotle dressing for 24 hours. Then dip into flour/ragin blaze frying mixture. Fry till golden brown.
                That sounds really good!

Comment

My two favorites are:

fillet the two breasts out of the bones, then toss in flour, egg, flour, and chicken fry. Make country gravy from the oil drippings and serve over white rice or mashed potatoes.

Or fillet out the meat, and season with mixture of equal parts sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and garlic powder, then saute in butter until JUST done. They're tender and flavorful cooked this way, really good.

Comment

Hawaiian Dove Breasts

Marinade:

1/2 cup of soy sauce
                    1/2 cup of Teriyaki sauce
                    1/4 cup pineapple juice
                    1/2 cup light brown sugar
                    1/2 cup ginger ale soda
                    1 tsp onion powder
                    1 tsp garlic powder
                    1 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
                    1 tsp cayenne pepper

Marinate for 4 hours. Bacon wrap and skewer with a tooth pick. Charcoal grill until bacon is lightly crispy and dove is medium to medium rare.

Try to just eat one.

Comment

Dove breast in a red wine gravy over pecan wild rice dressing. Heaven
                      Last edited by ABWGTX; 09-06-2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Google "Cecilia Chiang lettuce wraps". Substitute a bunch of dove breast and chicken thighs (skin on for fat). Finely mince both. Then make according to recipe. It was originally made completely with squab. It is a great way to incorporate game birds into a more refined meal. Also a great alternative to cream cheese/bacon/jalapeƱo, chicken fried with gravy and rice etc. Those are all great but this is completely different take.

If you are looking for new and different ways to cook game, I would suggest looking to cultures who have historically had high poverty. Think Southeast Asia, China and India. They can take the worst cuts of lean game meat and season and cook it in ways that render it fantastic.

Comment

Do you use a knife to get the meat off the breast are do you just use your thumb. Looks great. I'm ignorant of this way to cook dove meat.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                            I don't care for it that much. But it is easy to prep and cook them this way.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                              Do you use a knife to get the meat off the breast are do you just use your thumb. Looks great. I'm ignorant of this way to cook dove meat.
                              just run your thumb against the breast bone. Make sure you get the tenderloin. Dove is very lean. You either have to eat it medium rare or add fat via other meats if you want to cook it past medium rare. Mince the dove and chicken meat.

I do the same thing with dove or duck in place of pork liver in boudin.

Comment

Love the doves, but tried a new method a few days ago that is outstanding. Familiar with Sous Vide? Sounds gay (French "under vacuum"), but I have had great success with everything from backstraps to lesser venison cuts, wild pig ribs, ducks, turkey legs, you name it. If unfamiliar or without the equipment, check out the Field and Stream article link where all you need is an ice chest, ziplock and thermometer.

Looking for the best venison backstrap recipe? This guide to cooking venison loins features the ultimate collection of delicious recipes.

I did the dove fillets for 5 min at 140 degrees with a little Dale's in the bag. They came out rare and hit the cast iron skillet for about 30-45 sec on each side for a sear. Perfect med rare, virtually zero moisture loss. My kids (oldest 6) ate an entire plate less than 30 minutes after a full lunch. Proud dad.

-Hank

Comment

Working...
                                X