Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start of the 2 story blind....Here we go....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome stuff

Comment

I thought about mentioning wall ties earlier, they certainly have their place. But when you use them, use the little 22ga curvey sheet metal ones, and just use them to stabilize the stone while the mortar is wet. With all those corners that close together, you'll have all the strength you need, and you want the wood structure to be able to expand and contract somewhat independently of the stone.

Some people will use the more rigid ones trying to add strength, and not leave enough room for movement. Brick, wood, stone, concrete......they all expand/contract, and move at their own pace. As much time as your mortar has to set in between, and all those corners, you should have plenty of stability with regular ties.

Are you putting weep holes around the base?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        I thought about mentioning wall ties earlier, they certainly have their place. But when you use them, use the little 22ga curvey sheet metal ones, and just use them to stabilize the stone while the mortar is wet. With all those corners that close together, you'll have all the strength you need, and you want the wood structure to be able to expand and contract somewhat independently of the stone.

Some people will use the more rigid ones trying to add strength, and not leave enough room for movement. Brick, wood, stone, concrete......they all expand/contract, and move at their own pace. As much time as your mortar has to set in between, and all those corners, you should have plenty of stability with regular ties.

Are you putting weep holes around the base?
        I'm using the curvy metal ones. I had a bunch left over from the shack. I'm trying to overlap the hard 90 degree corners from one side to the other. One side overlaps the other side on alternate stones. The front corners are harder but I'm overlapping where I can. I'm hoping it is strong. I've never done anything this tall before so I'm trying to go more horizontal before I put too many on top of each other and give the mortar time to set up.

Thanks for the advice and please don't be afraid to speak up. I'm far from an expert and can use all of the advice I can get.

I think about your generosity every time I walk across the stone at the shack. That will be there a long time. Maybe one day you can come hunt and see your contribution.

Comment

Pretty awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            At least you didn't screw down the last piece of tin before you realized you couldn't get down.

Did ya?

Lookin awesome, Mark!

Well he could shimmy down that mesquite tree if he had to....

Comment

this is awesome!!!

Comment

Incredible!!

Comment

Wow. That's awesome!

Comment

Still too windy to finish the roof and trim so I just laid a little more stone today. The "chop" stone takes longer to lay than cut pieces because they aren't exactly square but I like the look of it better. It was free so I can't gripe.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That is Flat OUT AWESOME

Comment

Awesome build!!!

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
                          I'm using the curvy metal ones. I had a bunch left over from the shack. I'm trying to overlap the hard 90 degree corners from one side to the other. One side overlaps the other side on alternate stones. The front corners are harder but I'm overlapping where I can. I'm hoping it is strong. I've never done anything this tall before so I'm trying to go more horizontal before I put too many on top of each other and give the mortar time to set up.

Thanks for the advice and please don't be afraid to speak up. I'm far from an expert and can use all of the advice I can get.

I think about your generosity every time I walk across the stone at the shack. That will be there a long time. Maybe one day you can come hunt and see your contribution.

I would sure love to check those blinds out in person some day. I'll holler next time I get out to that country and maybe I can help fill feeders and drink a beer or 4.

The new rig is lookin great, Mark.

Comment

In

Comment

That's an awesome blind. If it were mine, I'd make the bottom my camp house. Lol

Comment

One word. Awsomeness!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X