Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sapling puller

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
    Cool! Would it work on small mesquite? I've got some that are too big to shred. Or am I stuck with Remedy?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    If they’re too big to shred I think it’s unlikely you are going to get all the root system pulling them. But at least they’ll be small enough to shred when they come back. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Bump to the top. Found this trick online and liked the idea. Short video.

Comment

We wrap a chain around the small tree/bush we want to remove and pull it with a tractor and bucket (mainly because the bucket is what is attached most of the time anyway). If the trees/bushes are young and small, we'll often cinch up the chain with a pair of vice grips. This keeps the chain from sliding up the stalk (essentially doing nothing more than "stepping" it).

Do you find that the pipe/hook/chain contraption has better integrity?

Comment

Check this out!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aiErElwrxA"]Easy Small Tree Removal - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Good idea. Think I will try this on my gum and yaupon.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              We wrap a chain around the small tree/bush we want to remove and pull it with a tractor and bucket (mainly because the bucket is what is attached most of the time anyway). If the trees/bushes are young and small, we'll often cinch up the chain with a pair of vice grips. This keeps the chain from sliding up the stalk (essentially doing nothing more than "stepping" it).

Do you find that the pipe/hook/chain contraption has better integrity?
              The way this is made it cinches down on whatever you are pulling on

I do get the occasional difficult one that just wants to strip all the bark off but I can usually get it on the second attempt.

The big thing is it is easier to attach than having to wrap a chain several times.
              Matter of fact I can just sling the chain around a wad of briars and sapling, hoke the chain in the loop and slowly pull the slack out and never have to fight the briars

Comment

Puller

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                Had luck with this ...pulls posts too

Comment

I like that idea because it can be a pain to wrap it multiple times around a tree, especially if there is a lot of greenbrier.

Comment

I just cleared about an acre with this exact setup, I have a few more to pull and want to try the wheel trick on them.

Comment

Well I made that thing with a hook on it and it worked ok until this happened.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post

Everything has a limit

Comment

I built one years ago too. What I really need is someone to hook it up everytime. An hour of wrapping it around, getting on the tractor, pull, get off, unhook and repeat many times gets old. A D6 is only 800.00 a day. He can do a lot more than me in an hour.

I do keep one on the Gator made out of a 1" deep 2 3/8" piece of pipe to just hook on to big limbs when I see one and pull it away instead of going to get the tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                            You may have got that hook to hot with all that welding.

Comment

Could you get a bigger pipe and instead of welding it to the pipe simply leave the hook on the chain and hook it into the end of the pipe closest to the tractor? If the pipe is wide enough the chain won't push it out when you tighten it. I may try that with some thick drill stem pipe and report back.
                              Last edited by TeamAmerica; 05-04-2021, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                                Could you get a bigger pipe and instead of welding it to the pipe simply leave the hook on the chain and hook it into the end of the pipe closest to the tractor? If the pipe is wide enough the chain won't push it out when you tighten it. I may try that with some thick drill stem pipe and report back.
                                I was thinking the same thing! Except the chain with a hook on it won't fit through the pipe.

Comment

Working...
                                X