No announcement yet.

Trailer floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal floors are slicker than owl snot. I rent the drop deck trailers to move heavy stuff from time to time. Difficult to get stuff tied down securely.

Comment

What size C-Purlin are you using? I would like to try this out, it would be slick without a doubt. As far as a floating wood floor goes, those are on the cheap trailers. They are too cheap to screw the boards down like they should be. Ditto on steel floor and Rumber needing crossmembers on 12" centers. For standard lumber call all the lumber yards to find the best price. We are calling 5 different places when we have a trailer floor job and it is crazy how much the price differs from one place to the next. I had one customer come in and he had used a composite deck material to refloor his. No experience with it.

Comment

If I go with the C purlin I was thinking I could run some ospho on it and then non slip tread tape. Or even just put the tape down.

What about rust?

Comment

If you have any trees, you need to cut down, friend of mine near Leona has a portable sawmill. He cuts a lot of trailer flooring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also the metal will make it much heaver that wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
              Stice Sawmill near Bowie, TX

Address: 1166 Cole Rd, Bowie, TX 76230
              Phone: (940) 872-1934
              I'd heard they closed down, are they still open?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Option 2

Rumber

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Where can you find this? Besides the mfg in Katy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  I'd heard they closed down, are they still open?
                  Phone number is no good so you may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
                    Where can you find this? Besides the mfg in Katy.
                    When I looked into it the only place was toward dfw. I see it on trailers now and then so it can't be that hard to find

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      If I go with the C purlin I was thinking I could run some ospho on it and then non slip tread tape. Or even just put the tape down.

What about rust?
                      You could always get the roll on bed liner from home depot to make it a nonslip.

Comment

Call Custom Cut Lumber in Alto and get them to give you a price. You might be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                          What size C-Purlin are you using? I would like to try this out, it would be slick without a doubt. Ditto on steel floor and Rumber needing crossmembers on 12" centers.
                          Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post

What about rust?
                          I used 1.5x3 figuring I would need the extra stiffness, after having done it the 1.5x4 would have been more than adequate. My trailer has 24" centers and the C purlins are much stiffer than the wood 2x8's and have yet to bend or dent. If you don't need to match the old wood thickness I would just go with 2x6 purlins.

I used paint with texture sand mixed in. It's been holding up well and no issues loading my offroad jeep even when it's muddy. So far rust isn't any worse than when you scratch the paint on the frame of the trailer. I spaced the purlins 1/4" apart to allow drainage.

Comment

I made some phone calls.

Gooseneck Trailer in Bryan sells the Rumber, if they can get it. Right now they are struggling to get enough to build their own trailers. Rumber costs about 40% more on this year's lumber prices, but it is very difficult to get right now.

For my 18' x 6.5' wide trailer
                            CPurlin was $2.65 - 2.94 / foot (2x6) = $689-741
                            Lumber 2x8x18 was $2.50 / foot = $495
                            Rumber $4.25 / foot (2x8) = $841.50. It has a 20 year warranty.

So, as much as I hate to say it, we will probably just go with the pressure treated lumber. It is amazing to me the variability between lumber store prices, too. Home Depot for the record doesn't sell anything longer than 16'. At least that is what the store in College Station said.
                            Last edited by Dusty Britches; 04-23-2021, 07:17 AM.

Comment

I have an 18 foot trailer. I re-floored it a couple of years ago, and I found it was much cheaper at the time to buy 10 foot boards. My trailer has a crossmember right in the middle, and even with a foot cut off each board, it was still a lot cheaper than the long boards. Just about any metal floor will cost more, unless it is salvage. C purlin works, even better is bar grating or grip strut, but the prices of that stuff new is prohibitive for most trailers.

Comment

Working...
                              X