Space Saver Garage Workbench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space Saver Garage Workbench

Had this idea for a few years now and finally got around to building it.
    A work bench that folds against the wall to allow a vehicle to be brought into the garage or to allow that extra space for whatever may come up.
    Building it at the back of the garage also put it right under the attic ladder so that was also a consideration.

The crossbar comes out. The legs fold up into the bottom of the bench and the crossbar stores on top of the hinged section next to the wall.

Attic ladder clears perfectly although I did have to take the circular saw off the pegboard first.

All I’ve got left is to add a bench vice and figure out some overhead lighting.
    Last edited by Geezy Rider; 04-15-2021, 08:47 PM.

Nice
    Well thought out

Comment

Awesome! Ive been thinking of doing this for a laundry folding table in the hallway. Super sharp setup.

Geezy...could you move the saw to the to squares and move the squares horizontally where the saw resides. Might that give you ladder clearance? Or flip saw and staple gun.

Thanks for sharing Geezy.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
        Awesome! Ive been thinking of doing this for a laundry folding table in the hallway. Super sharp setup.

Geezy...could you move the saw to the to squares and move the squares horizontally where the saw resides. Might that give you ladder clearance? Or flip saw and staple gun.

Thanks for sharing Geezy.
        By golly you’re right. I’ll take a look at that. Thanks.

Comment

That's awesome. How did you hinge it?

Comment

Looks great!! TBH has a ton of talent or a ton of time. Lol.

Comment

Detailed pictures of hinges on wall and legs please. Sweet build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Every work bench I ever saw or had was always covered with crap. You are way too neat if you clean off your bench every day so it can be folded up. But it does look good...

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                  Every work bench I ever saw or had was always covered with crap. You are way too neat if you clean off your bench every day so it can be folded up. But it does look good...
                  I thought the exact same!

Comment

Originally posted by Greylight318 View Post
                    That's awesome. How did you hinge it?

I used 2 1/2” heavy hinges set so the legs fold inward towards the middle.

Notice that the legs are offset. The bench is 84” long and the bench is 38” tall so the legs couldn’t fold up inside unless the legs were offset.
                    There’s just enough friction between them that when folded up they stay in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                      Looks great!! TBH has a ton of talent or a ton of time. Lol.

Well, I’m retired so time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                        Detailed pictures of hinges on wall and legs please. Sweet build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4, 3 1/2” hinges attaching the bench frame to a 2x4 that’s lag bolted to the wall. The wall had six studs so I used six 4 1/2” x 1/4” lag bolts to secure the bench to the wall and distribute the load.

Comment

Lol[emoji38]
                          Well it’s new so give it time.
                          I’m also a former aircraft mechanic (40 years) so keeping a clean shop is kinda a habit.

Comment

Every time I need a work bench, it's easier to build a new one rather than clean off the old one.

Comment

Very nice, great bench!

Comment

Working...
                              X