Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go where you've been laying down corn.

Comment

Well, this is it. Play is in and corn is out. Tried to find some brush to conceal in, but not a lot of luck and don’t have any trimmers to clear a patch. Wind is in favor, but wish this old tripod was in better shape and had a backdrop.

Area in picture had multiple decent deer on trail cam last night. Three scrapes and a rub in area too. No luck the past two times in this area, but it’s the only place I have proof of a legal deer coming through.
      Last edited by bdubb; 09-08-2021, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Good luck! You deserve one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm pulling for you bdubb!! Nothing like a bottom of the 9th, two strike, walk-off HR to end it!

Comment

In less than 30 minutes from being in the stand two young bucks came out to some doe scent I put down. Promising, but will have to wait and see what else comes out.

All this time and only 1, maybe 2, legal bucks seen by me or on my trail cam. It’s been a tough week, but feel fortunate to have had the opportunity.

Comment

Vacuum cleaners are out. Better leave some dang corn for the evening.

Comment

Good luck Bdubb. We are headed home and here is a pic of the board when we left. Three came in last night.

Had an interesting find in the cooler this morning. There was a javelina laying in there. They were off limits for this hunt. Apparently a hunter saw them in his compartment and called back to the office. An intern answered and said “go ahead and shoot”. Don’t think the hunter got a ticket but was told he should have known what was legal and what was not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good to meet you Winslowboy and congrats to you and your group. Heck of a haul.
                  Good luck Bdubb.

Boys Año Nuevo is a tough pasture but we still grinding til sundown.
                  Talking to Nicole yesterday and there’s been 0 deer taken out of that pasture all year and then a guy in the southern part shot a 9 last night. I have pics mostly night time so they’re here it’s just thick.

Comment

.... I'm not on this hunt, but would have assumed they were a green light. Anyone know why they are allowed to take the Javis on the Management hunt and others, and not this one ???

Comment

Originally posted by gonzotexan View Post
                      .... I'm not on this hunt, but would have assumed they were a green light. Anyone know why they are allowed to take the Javis on the Management hunt and others, and not this one ???

The rules we were given were very specific for this hunt. 1 trophy, 1 mgmt, unlimited hogs and coyotes. NO does or javelina. They apparently manage those under other hunts out there. They set this hunt up to have 2 things. Limited number of hunters and focus on trophy deer. I think most guys in this hunt are there to shoot a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                        The rules we were given were very specific for this hunt. 1 trophy, 1 mgmt, unlimited hogs and coyotes. NO does or javelina. They apparently manage those under other hunts out there. They set this hunt up to have 2 things. Limited number of hunters and focus on trophy deer. I think most guys in this hunt are there to shoot a good one.

Definitely was playing devils advocate....because if I was on this hunt, Javis would be so far on the back burner......

Comment

Just a wrap up on my end for the week. First off, thanks for tagging along. I feel extremely lucky to be drawn on this hunt and kill such a cool deer. Sorry for all the crappy pics but I know I enjoy pics on the live hunts.

Jmoore and Bdubb it was good to meet you both. Typical good guys like all the others on TBH I have met. The staff was extremely professional and helpful as always down there.

Last thanks guys for not piling on me too bad about misjudging that deer. It was literally the first buck I saw on this hunt and I told myself not to shoot the first thing that stepped out and hold out for a good one. I knew he was wide but never imagined he was over 24 inches. Thankfully he gave me a second opportunity.

As for the rest of my group, probably the best part was getting to spend a week with two long time hunting buddies and one of their sons. I’ve been sharing a duck blind or deer camp with MikeJ since 1992. We were a couple of young punks back then, both recently married with no kids. Ages us but sure hope we got many more years ahead.

I know MikeJ hoped for a slightly better deer but awesome to see everyone of us take a mature buck. All were 5.5 years or older. Staff was very satisfied.

Good luck to everyone in the draw next for this hunt. Brokeno and Uncle Jesse I hope the TPWD computer drawing gods smile on you next year and you get drawn...... finally.

Here is the final score sheet on my deer. Joe.

Comment

Well, I didn’t connect with one as hoped. Had deer passing through most the afternoon with several bucks and doe. One buck was likely a shooter, but small bodied I felt and was just barely outside his ears. While going home empty handed for my second time at Chaparral, I wasn’t really looking for a just barely buck. Learned a lot, spent every hour of daylight and then some on my unit and can’t say I didn’t give it the effort. Hope to be fortunate enough for another attempt in the future and will look forward to bringing my son to youth hunts when he’s older. Good to meet some of those on the hunt and thank you Winslow for letting me piggy back on your thread.

Spent the last 6-1/2 hours at Chaparral in this chair in the middle of Unit 15, stand 32.

Comment

..Thank you guys for your legwork posting all the updates. Hope to be lucky enough to be drawn for this hunt...someday. While initially really let down just to only be drawn for an Archery hunt there and a Management hunt there over the past 17 years, the staff at the Chap, and just that PLACE, made for some great memories.

Comment

With 20 minutes of light left I decided to try and make something happen. Grabbed the sticks and got out of the brush blind with the wind in my face and starting creeping to another well used trail I had finally got some pics of a couple bucks on the evening before and yesterday morning. Got to within 200 yds and had a couple dinks pop out and I could see another deer back in the brush. With 6 minutes of legal light this buck cleared. I steadied on the sticks and squeezed off. By the pics I thought he was mature but didn’t think he was 6.5 and that’s what they aged him at.
                                Javelina hunted 5 times but this was my first time deer hunting the chap. I learned a lot and thanks to the guys who gave me insight for año nuevo it helped a lot.
                                Me and the sons will be back next week for the youth hunt and they have the south part of south jay so it’ll be good times.
                                Bdubb hate you didn’t get a deer.
                                Winslowboy thanks for running this thread and letting me jump in.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	71B950C9-7C04-41D1-A669-1731EB1610F9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	24639308

Comment

Working...
                                X