Unused Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unused Public

If you use Base Map you know they do a weekly contest where you try and guess a spot within designated public land. Well this week they did Javelina in far West Texas. Not knowing any better, they put the marker on land owned by the state that is not huntable. Looking at the designated area it hit me that Texas has millions of acres with prime hunting habitat that is just sitting there unused (by hunters at least). I know there was some talk a while back about an org that is supposed to advocate for more public hunting land but I can't help but feel like we need one specifically for Texas. Anyone know if something like that has been put together yet?

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
    If you use Base Map you know they do a weekly contest where you try and guess a spot within designated public land. Well this week they did Javelina in far West Texas. Not knowing any better, they put the marker on land owned by the state that is not huntable. Looking at the designated area it hit me that Texas has millions of acres with prime hunting habitat that is just sitting there unused (by hunters at least). I know there was some talk a while back about an org that is supposed to advocate for more public hunting land but I can't help but feel like we need one specifically for Texas. Anyone know if something like that has been put together yet?
    I know there's a bunch down in South Texas, part of Laguna Atascosa that hasn't been opened up yet. Was told they were waiting on someone to do a hunt plan, not sure what that consist of.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jronning77 View Post
      I know there's a bunch down in South Texas, part of Laguna Atascosa that hasn't been opened up yet. Was told they were waiting on someone to do a hunt plan, not sure what that consist of.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
      Some of that should be opening up next season as it was on the list for the GAO act that was passed recently.

To the OP, you’re correct about there being more public land that isn’t utilized by hunting. There’s several properties in west Texas that could be prime hunting opportunities for MD, aoudad, upland, waterfowl, and possibly even an extra bighorn tag. They would need to be drawn permits besides the wingshooting though.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
        Some of that should be opening up next season as it was on the list for the GAO act that was passed recently.

To the OP, you’re correct about there being more public land that isn’t utilized by hunting. There’s several properties in west Texas that could be prime hunting opportunities for MD, aoudad, upland, waterfowl, and possibly even an extra bighorn tag. They would need to be drawn permits besides the wingshooting though.
        I don’t know why it couldn’t be APH? Run like Meredith.

Comment

Because TPW does not make money off of places like Meredith. Then they screw up the places they do take over. In the form of, places that anyone used to be able to hunt, whenever they wanted, once TPW takes over, good luck every getting to hunt that place again. But TPW will collect lots of money every year, with people buy tickets trying to get on the place.

Any public land that is not currently open to hunting, that could be, it would be much better if some Federal agency opened that land for hunting, than TPW. Their drawings suck.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
            Because TPW does not make money off of places like Meredith. Then they screw up the places they do take over. In the form of, places that anyone used to be able to hunt, whenever they wanted, once TPW takes over, good luck every getting to hunt that place again. But TPW will collect lots of money every year, with people buy tickets trying to get on the place.

Any public land that is not currently open to hunting, that could be, it would be much better if some Federal agency opened that land for hunting, than TPW. Their drawings suck.

Totally Agree!!

I'm curious if anyone knows the breakout of state funding that goes to TPWD from state collected taxes vs from hunters & anglers tags/permits & park goers

Comment

Is an APH required for Meredith? I thought it was just open public hunting like LBJ. Maybe I'm wrong? I've never been but have been thinking about checking it out.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

TTT we have a lot of public hunting land but could use more I’d like to see more land open for general hunting abd not just drawn hunts. With the public land groups on fb there’s a lot of ppl that could be writing the governer.

Comment

To answer your question, RMEF, TRCP (Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership), and BHA (Back Country Hunters and Anglers) do a lot to open up access to the tracts of land. RMEF and BHA have done a fair bit of work in western mountain states to open up that land, as that is where most of it is, originating from when the railroads were first built.

TRCP is going to be your best bet for an organization in Texas that would work to open up that land. I wouldn't bother with BHA at this point, they seem to have all but gone away in Texas.

Also, OnX and TRCP/BHA every year put out a report of the locked up public lands. What you end up finding out is very wealthy people purchase land around these locked up sections, specifically so they can have sole access to it, or share it with one or two land owners. Out west, lots of these chunks of public land touch at the corners. In theory, a guy could go to the corner of hte property, and "hop" across to the next chunk. Well the landowners who don't want the public to access these properties have gotten laws passed so that the public cannot "corner hop" on these chunks to gain access to landlocked land.

Comment

I hear what you're saying. There's always a downside when TPWD takes over public land. But some access through TPWD would be better than no access. I agree though. There's no reason they couldn't put up a sign with rules/regs regarding access and just let people get after it. You wouldn't even need a federal agency involved. You see it done that way out west all the time. Almost no maintenance required. No personnel other than the game wardens that are already out there.

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                    Is an APH required for Meredith? I thought it was just open public hunting like LBJ. Maybe I'm wrong? I've never been but have been thinking about checking it out.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                    No sir. Meredith isn't under APH. I just mentioned that because that's the ideal public set up. Go out there when you want hunt what's in season. Almost no red tape/extra regs.

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    To answer your question, RMEF, TRCP (Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership), and BHA (Back Country Hunters and Anglers) do a lot to open up access to the tracts of land. RMEF and BHA have done a fair bit of work in western mountain states to open up that land, as that is where most of it is, originating from when the railroads were first built.

TRCP is going to be your best bet for an organization in Texas that would work to open up that land. I wouldn't bother with BHA at this point, they seem to have all but gone away in Texas.

Also, OnX and TRCP/BHA every year put out a report of the locked up public lands. What you end up finding out is very wealthy people purchase land around these locked up sections, specifically so they can have sole access to it, or share it with one or two land owners. Out west, lots of these chunks of public land touch at the corners. In theory, a guy could go to the corner of hte property, and "hop" across to the next chunk. Well the landowners who don't want the public to access these properties have gotten laws passed so that the public cannot "corner hop" on these chunks to gain access to landlocked land.
                    Gonna look into TRCP. It's ridiculous the huge tracts of state owned land down there. Prime muley, javelina, aoudad, blue quail, predator habitat.

Comment

Tpwd doesn’t “take over” anything. The feds choose to put their properties into the tpwd drawing. To make it easier on them. Also, they still make the rules and decide on means methods and seasons.

Comment

[QUOTE=donpablo;15328282]I hear what you're saying. There's always a downside when TPWD takes over public land. But some access through TPWD would be better than no access. I agree though. There's no reason they couldn't put up a sign with rules/regs regarding access and just let people get after it. You wouldn't even need a federal agency involved. You see it done that way out west all the time. Almost no maintenance required. No personnel other than the game wardens that are already out there.

It’s a quality vs quantity debate really. Both needed but Hard to balance.
                        Also you can’t have public hunting land without at least 1 or two employees depending on size. Boundary’s don’t mark themselves, trash from the “conservationist” hunters and other users Dosent pick itself up. Signs that have been shot up or stolen don’t replace themselves. Mowing and other maintenance that people complain about not happening.

Comment

[quote=Etxnoodler;15328383]
                          I hear what you're saying. There's always a downside when TPWD takes over public land. But some access through TPWD would be better than no access. I agree though. There's no reason they couldn't put up a sign with rules/regs regarding access and just let people get after it. You wouldn't even need a federal agency involved. You see it done that way out west all the time. Almost no maintenance required. No personnel other than the game wardens that are already out there.

It’s a quality vs quantity debate really. Both needed but Hard to balance.
                          Also you can’t have public hunting land without at least 1 or two employees depending on size. Boundary’s don’t mark themselves, trash from the “conservationist” hunters and other users Dosent pick itself up. Signs that have been shot up or stolen don’t replace themselves. Mowing and other maintenance that people complain about not happening.
                          Almost being the key word. Sure there is some infrastructure and maintenance that would be necessary but would it really be that much? People who want mowing can take their happy butts out there and do it. I recently hunted Colorado and have seen tracts like what I'm suggesting. There's a fence. There's signs. That's about it. The less you have to involve TPWD, the better. I hate to be negative but from what I've seen they tend to over regulate. Look at Twin Buttes. Before TPWD took over you could hunt out there year round (non-game for example). Now TPWD says TBR is safe for non-hunting use during hunting season but it should be closed to hunting outside of hunting season for the safety of non-hunting users.

Comment

I know some of the state land is owned by universities.

Comment

Looking at OnX there are a lot of tracts from 15-200 acres or larger around me listed as state of Tx. It would be nice if I could at least explore these places

Comment

Working...
                              X