Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Jon boat journey - Life and times, and mods, of a G3 river Jon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the comments. I'll try to get some more pics up this coming weekend, (when I get some more argon gas hopefully Friday).

, yah, 3/4" plywood on top of a 45 gallon poly trashcan that has a slanted top.

Yes, I'm using a tig machine on this. I do on most of my aluminum projects. Been welding aluminum since I was 18. 1st metal I ever learned to weld. And was using a spool-arc with helium. You talking about hot! You had to be moving when ya hit the trigger to keep from blowing up the material. It was 1"x1"x 1/16". Old feller that taught me said if I could weld that, I could weld anything . It was known as "spray arc".

I've got a Miller 252 also (mig for steel, stainless, and aluminum). But haven't found a spool gun I wanna spend the money on yet. So i just use it with regular mig lead for steel. And gas for everything!

Comment

Dang nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Thanks for the comments. I'll try to get some more pics up this coming weekend, (when I get some more argon gas hopefully Friday).

, yah, 3/4" plywood on top of a 45 gallon poly trashcan that has a slanted top.

Yes, I'm using a tig machine on this. I do on most of my aluminum projects. Been welding aluminum since I was 18. 1st metal I ever learned to weld. And was using a spool-arc with helium. You talking about hot! You had to be moving when ya hit the trigger to keep from blowing up the material. It was 1"x1"x 1/16". Old feller that taught me said if I could weld that, I could weld anything . It was known as "spray arc".

I've got a Miller 252 also (mig for steel, stainless, and aluminum). But haven't found a spool gun I wanna spend the money on yet. So i just use it with regular mig lead for steel. And gas for everything!
        Cool. I have seen the spray arc technique.

I've got argon/co mix but it is about empty.

Comment

Picked up the gas and a new hood yesterday. I hate cheap headgear. It will make or break a hood. Especially if replacement gear is not available, or don't fit the hood properly. I'll be saying "goodbye" to the old one. It's made me lots of $$$ over the years, even though it came from a pawnshop for $15 . I just can't find some good headgear that the pivot bolts don't strip.

Got one pod mostly tacked together yesterday evening. And started the other. Been doing house chores and arronds between.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Outstanding work!

Comment

Thanks brother.

Got one of the float pods welded out this morning. Puting a drain pipe/plug hole in it now. The other is pretty much tacked together still. Been working on the house putting up new back door trim and paint this weekend as well. And don't forget house chores, be-n I'm a single person, and a GOF . So got several projects going on every weekend at one time.

Comment

And almost a month later, I get some real progress done on the pods!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pod1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	24600188

Name:	pod2.jpg
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	24600189

Oh No! What did I just do?

Name:	oh no.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	24600190

Name:	drill1.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	24600191

It's OK. I've got a plan.

Name:	it ok.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	24600192

Mark it.

Name:	MARK IT.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	24600193

Set depth.

Name:	set depth.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	24600194

Name:	locate.jpg
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	24600195

Weld in place.

Name:	weld drain hole.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	24600196

Name:	plug.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	24600197

Weld out.

Name:	weldout.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	24600198

Now, they just need an orbital sanding to rough up the surface for self etching primer. But will get the primer after they get welded to the boat. Stay tuned. More to come...

Name:	pair.jpg
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	24600199

Comment

By the way, there is 195 inches of tig welding per pod. Yes, over 16 feet of welding per pod. That dose not include the installation.

Comment

That’s some great work.

Comment

Yep. I like it.

Comment

Man, those are purty!

I wanna learn to weld like Mike when I grow up!

Comment

Slick Senor!

Not to derail - but I’m asking Santa for a tig rig. I’ve never tig welded before - would you recommend a pedal or a thumb wheel setup for a newbie/amateur?

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                            Slick Senor!

Not to derail - but I’m asking Santa for a tig rig. I’ve never tig welded before - would you recommend a pedal or a thumb wheel setup for a newbie/amateur?

It really depends on how heavy the metal is your trying to weld. Both can be learned.

Pedals are good if your gonna sit and weld a lot. And/or good if your gonna go with really light weight/thin materials or micro weld too. I've got some Cross pendents I do for church members and others sometimes. It involves some pretty tight micro welds.

Thumb wheels are good if you need mobility. And better for heavier applications. They take the awkardness out of trying to reach over or under something, or lay on your back and weld over head while using a pedal. Laying on your back or on both knees and trying to weld with a foot pedal is really hard. Especially when ya get to be a GOF.

A/C for aluminum, D/C for most everything else including Titanium, inconel, stainless, borium, ect. A/C usually takes more amperes from your source than D/C dose. The more fine and detailed the work, the lower and more control you need with amps and the machine.

Grades of aluminum can make a difference too. Some need preheating prior to welding. My machine is under powered. I've got 60 amps going to it. It requires 100 amp service for 100% duty cycle. So if I turn the amps up to much, it trips the breakers. To save on the welding process, and help reduce breaker trippage, I preheat the zone before welding with a propane tourch. That takes some of the load off the machine. And I can weld longer before tripping breaker. Once the work gets to a certain temp, welding starts are easier.

What I need is to have an electrician come out and swap my 60 amp box out for a 100 amp box with the wiring to go with it.
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-25-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Had the past 2 weeks off. So been trying to get some things done around the house. Got a little work done on the boat this week. Still got to finish welding them on. But getting close. They are tacked in place. I gotta get them finished cause the sandbass will be running up the river very soon! Click image for larger version

Name:	20200101_142705.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	24604229

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Added the rectangular tube on the top of port side pod for a transom mount trolling motor, should I decided I want to use one for that day. The bracket on the starboard side pod is for various accessories. There might be a little rooster-tailing going on from that side when underway.

Comment

Working...
                                X