Calling all fly fishermen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all fly fishermen

Going to Taos in June for a fishing trip with my brother. Want to do some fly fishing but have zero knowledge of it. I’m fine with any other types of fishing. Could somebody point me in the directions on some good youtube videos or books? I would normally youtube myself but when I have zero knowledge of something it’s way to easy to get bad info. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mad River Outfitters - https://www.youtube.com/user/powerrangers89

Orvis virtual Fly Fishing 101 - https://subscribe.orvis.com/FF101PLANO/

Looks like you're close to the Orvis shop in Plano. After completing the virtual course, you can schedule a free one on one session - http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=gmp9xgrab

I only recommended Orvis in Plano based on where Savoy is located. Looks like you're an hour away.

Comment

I also am a big fan of the videos from Mad River Outfitters

Comment

I’m also a fan of Capt Chris Myers

I was in a similar situation last year at this time with a trip to colorado planned. I spent hours in the yard practicing casting and watching videos of all varieties of fly fishing. I decided on a 1/2 day guided trip and I’m really glad I did because there is a great deal of detail about fly fishing that cannot be learned through video such as reading the River, understanding when the fish may begin to feed, and mending your line as your fly drifts.

I assure you I would not have had this success on my own
        Click image for larger version

Name:	3FD5B175-A1F3-42E0-8D09-85F11DCAB947.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	24649707

Click image for larger version

Name:	EE47B607-3C27-4349-901B-F3197F4E443F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	24649708

Comment

Second the 1/2 day guide.

Comment

Mad river helped me. But at the end of the day I think In person lessons and 1/2 day guide just to cut the learning curve or catch any bad habits soon

Comment

Hit the Orvis store for their free class. They give a big coupon if you decide to buy a fly rod and reel

Comment

We go every year.

I love the Costilla, easy river for a beginner, you’ll catch fish until you’re sick of it with a 3 wt. many miles to be fished as well.

Cimarron will be more challenging, will need to google “spring creek” fishing techniques, stay out of sight, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Call Taos Fly shop and hire a guide. We have used them for the last 6-7 years and will be there June 1-3.

Comment

Lefty Kreh videos. He has passed on, but was an excellent instructor.

Comment

Worth the money to get a guide for a full day. Or is or your local fly shop should be able to get you some good basics.

Comment

Mad river outfitters on youtube has a few series on start to finish for everything.

Comment

I booked Doc Thompson for a full day. He assured me that lack of fly fishing wouldn’t be a problem.I’m gonna go to the orvis store. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The Rio is difficult fishing. I have been fly fishing for 20+ years and glad I got a guide out of Taos fly shop last time I went.

Comment

Steve Hollensed is a master casting instructor/guide nearby. He can get you casting the right way and fly fishing for stripers on Texoma is real fun.

Flipping and drifting nymphs in a western river for trout is pretty easy but accurate casting with distance takes a lot of practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X