LBJ Grasslands and Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ Grasslands and Turkey

Have y'all noticed a serious decline in turkey population over the last few years. I didn't see one bird this fall/winter. Saw a bunch of hens last spring. I used to see BIG groups of gobblers and now nothing.

Was thinking of emailing the biologist assigned to Wise County.

We've had a decline in turkey numbers across the board in most States. This is unpopular, but I think we're going to have to change the timing of the spring season on gobblers. Maybe start later. Some of it is the natural result of stocking in the last three decades. Numbers will drop from that high level. But some of it is taking the mature birds at the height of breeding season. Been listening to some podcasts lately on this very subject.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
      We've had a decline in turkey numbers across the board in most States. This is unpopular, but I think we're going to have to change the timing of the spring season on gobblers. Maybe start later. Some of it is the natural result of stocking in the last three decades. Numbers will drop from that high level. But some of it is taking the mature birds at the height of breeding season. Been listening to some podcasts lately on this very subject.
      I've read that once the dominant tom is taken off of the landscape, the jakes don't just fill in the gap. They start the pecking order disputes all over again and a dominant tom isn't realized until after the breeding season is over.

Comment

Pigs tear up nests, KAP!!

Comment

Originally posted by CrossTimbers View Post
          I've read that once the dominant tom is taken off of the landscape, the jakes don't just fill in the gap. They start the pecking order disputes all over again and a dominant tom isn't realized until after the breeding season is over.
          This is what I understand as well. You explained it better than I could have.

Comment

Originally posted by jlptexashunter View Post
            Have y'all noticed a serious decline in turkey population over the last few years. I didn't see one bird this fall/winter. Saw a bunch of hens last spring. I used to see BIG groups of gobblers and now nothing.

Was thinking of emailing the biologist assigned to Wise County.
            Saw the local biologist post a few days ago on a deer hunting FB page that numbers a way down. We've noticed it on our lease near the LBJ the last couple of years. Only saw a few on game cameras all of deer season. We are usually covered up with birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
              Saw the local biologist post a few days ago on a deer hunting FB page that numbers a way down. We've noticed it on our lease near the LBJ the last couple of years. Only saw a few on game cameras all of deer season. We are usually covered up with birds.
              Same here. We border the grasslands and usually have a lot of birds on camera throughout the year. I had pics of a group of 6 Tom's 3 weeks ago at a feeder and that's the only ones we've seen since last spring.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

stop building houses up there.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                  stop building houses up there.
                  That won't happen. Everyone is fleeing the craziness of the city!

Comment

Lot of hunters in the lbj. Think if everyone kills a bird that will put a dent in the population.I still hunt the grasslands grew up in alvord and have killed birds on the lbj. But like y’all say it ain’t how it used to be.

Comment

Yall should have been there back in the '80s on opening day when rifles were legal.

Comment

Saw a flock of 10ish out dove hunting this year. Haven’t hunted there much, but unit I was on I saw more turkey and hogs than doves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                          That won't happen. Everyone is fleeing the craziness of the city!

Unfortunately they are bringing their “city” ideals out here.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bird populations and where turkeys were one year they may not be the next.

That’s the fun part about it, but pressure does weird things to them. Kind of like how you can have birds located like crazy the week before youth season then not hear a peep til May.

Go where others won’t!

Comment

Hi all
                              Grateful that many of you are concerned about turkeys being scarce in certain areas. 1st I'm with Texas State board NWTF. All turkeys responds to lost of Habitat and pressure as well as predators. With that being said, yes hogs do a lot damage to nesting birds once found. We have been stocking birds throughout Texas (even with Covid-19), latest release was last Tues up near Lufkin. We ha e done a lot Habitat improvement up LBJ and had release as well. Jason Hardin IS the only Texas Biologist, other Biologist you may have spoken with are related to turkeys ( yes they are Biologist, but in other areas). They will Not have all Important information regarding our turkeys and what we [NWTF/TPWD] doing for the birds. I know it may seems like there aren't many birds, but they may not be near or on your hunting lease lands. Sam Houston NF has birds, Angelina NF has 'em, LBJ has them. Get involved to help the flock....shoot a yote, hog when given a chance
                              NWTF Texas State board
                              NWTF =National Wild Turkey Federation we are here for you and future generations

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X