No announcement yet.

Cull opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing is they could have messed them up in velvet and it made them grow like that I would give them another year and see what they do !

Comment

None of those in the photos are mature yet, and several of the weird ones just appear to just be 1-year anomalies. I'd leave most of them. The closest deer to the camera in the second photo may be the only exception.

Comment

Those need to live a year or move.

Imo-many deer get killed in the name of management just so someone can shoot a deer. It was said above, cull deer need to be determined on a variety of things, not just the number of hunters on the lease.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

They all get a pass, especially the one that looks like a double beam (with axis)

Comment

Lettem roll, kill some older bucks 5.5+ 100-120

Comment

Cull opinions

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
              Those need to live a year or move.

Imo-many deer get killed in the name of management just so someone can shoot a deer. It was said above, cull deer need to be determined on a variety of things, not just the number of hunters on the lease.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I’ve noticed this a whole lot also on places where there are a lot of members.

we have killed two 8 year olds the last two years. It’s cool to see them get to that age. Check this war horse out we killed last year

Last edited by jaker_cc; 11-13-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                Just curious, what age is mature? If you see a dinky 3 year old 7 point you wouldn’t shoot it? Even if the other bucks his age are 10 points and show a lot better potential?

In a low fence environment, you can’t change your genetic makeup with a rifle or bow. I don’t shoot anything that’s not 5 or older no matter what. You aren’t making your herd better genetically by doing so. “Culling” on a low fence place is just taking a mouth off the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                  In a low fence environment, you can’t change your genetic makeup with a rifle or bow. I don’t shoot anything that’s not 5 or older no matter what. You aren’t making your herd better genetically by doing so. “Culling” on a low fence place is just taking a mouth off the place.

Spot on

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Comment

Cull= I need an excuse to shoot something... who cares if he's 1.5.. we all paid our money so we banging.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                        Cull= I need an excuse to shoot something... who cares if he's 1.5.. we all paid our money so we banging.

Yup, the term cull was invented to justify killing another buck.

Comment

The majority of “freak” deer damaged their antlers while in velvet. There are very few genetic freaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                            Fact!

Comment

Guys I grew up huntIng with “ Short dog catchers....CULL!”. Yeah just a justification to kill a buck and not use your trophy tag. I’ve done it plenty. Not so much no more. It’s just deer.

Comment

The new TBH term is Skim!

Comment

Working...
                                X