Brazos river canoe trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazos river canoe trip

We will be taking a group of fourth grade girls on a 20 mile one night/two day trip from below the PK dam. We'll be renting canoes from Rochelles. Really looking forward to this trip and have a few dads who have done the trip before.

I'd appreciate any input on the trip! Anything you should have brought, fishing tips, etc.

Sounds like a blast. Stay safe and take lots of pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Bring lots of bug spray. Mosquitoes are brutal right now.
      Good luck on the trip. Sounds fun.

Comment

It’s a great trip. Good camping spot around the mid way point on an island. River goes around both sides. The side to the right does get a little rapid area and I have seen many canoes and kayaks flip. Have fun and fish the rocks along the banks. I’ve never had much luck in the deeper areas. Probably see some large gar surfacing along the way.

And yes pack plenty of bug spray and sunscreen

Comment

We did that as a bachelor party, bout 20 years ago, we had a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
            Bring lots of bug spray. Mosquitoes are brutal right now.
            Good luck on the trip. Sounds fun.
            I'll pack the themocell too! Glad it will be cool enough to wear long sleeves and pants at night.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bring earplugs [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                Bring earplugs [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                [emoji1787] that and some brown drink I outta be able to sleep thru the giggles and squeals....

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

How is the river flowing right now? I went by Rochelle's after all that rain in early September and the river was really rolling. Hopefully you can catch it in that sweet spot between being dangerously high for inexperienced paddlers (rare this time of year) and so low you are dragging the canoe half the time. That would not be fun with a bunch of kids that age. Much depends on if they are releasing from the PK dam.
                  Last edited by jerp; 09-29-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Rochelle's is top notch! River was fast when we kayaked it 2 weeks ago, here is the current flow rate around Graford.

water, earth science, hydrology, hydrologic, data, streamflow, stream, river, lake, flood, drought, quality, basin, watershed, environment, groundwater, groundwater

Saw tons of fish jumping, and some big suckers around "post oak bend", by the ranch they'll tell you about.

Download any music you want, you are unlikely to have service on the river.
                    Last edited by LOC4L; 09-29-2020, 01:35 PM.

Comment

We did that trip a bunch before I moved out west. I always thought the first 10 miles is a cooler river section than the lower 10 miles.

100 CFS is low. Fishing was always best 600-1500 CFS, where the rapids really moved some water. 20 miles is a long paddle when you are doing most of the work - we usually cheated and took a 4HP motor on a square back.

My fishing tips would be throw small stuff for bass - small crappie jigs, spinners, little rapalas, always worked for me. We would usually catfish at night. Chicken livers were probably the best and most manageable bait for channel cats.
                      Camp on an island or bank @ one of the deeper holes right below a rapid - that's where the most fish usually hang.
                      Take a bait bucket, and fill it w/ smaller live bluegill. Small hooks w/ earth worms under a small bobber. Then toss a few out in the dark under a weight for the rod bending flatheads...

Comment

We’ll be on the river this weekend as well. Debating doing the full 20, or just 13. I’ve done the full 20 at least 60-70 times over the last 16-17 years. It’s a great trip.

We’ll be putting in Friday around noon, and be in a blue/white kayak and red/black kayak. Say hi if you see us. I’ve been working out there a lot lately, and the skeeters haven’t been bad. Been spending all our time working on some new property out there, and with the weather being as nice as it is we figured we’ll go enjoy it for once.

Comment

Here's a link on Real Time water flow. Army Corps of Enginers reports their data to USGS and a few other entities daily. But if you want an "at the moment report", here it is. Just go down to the Brazos River basin data. And PK will be listed first.

I keep up with this on a very regular basis. Especially the Brazos River basin. I took Geology as my science electives for my core in Real Estate for my BBA. It opened up my eyes to a lot more than hydrodynamics.
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-29-2020, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Moms...that's what you should bring. If the size of the group is fewer than ten, you only need one; more than ten, at least two.

Here's why: you dads simply aren't equipped to handle females in packs. Following is a list of things I guarantee will happen on this trip, at least once:

one girl will start her period unexpectedly, will die of embarrassment...and will cry;
                            one girl will become the victim of teasing, will die of embarrassment...and will cry;
                            one girl will get an upset stomach, throw up, will die of embarrassment...and will cry;
                            several girls will get diarrhea, be too embarrassed to say anything...and will cry.

Moms know how to handle these situations and, by our very natures, tend to carry all the supplies needed to address every issue under the sun. If you dads want to enjoy the experience, invite one of the moms to go with you so you.

All joking aside, though, I do not think that, in this day and age, it's wise for grown men to be alone with young girls (if, in fact, I understand your plans correctly). In the interest of self-preservation (you dads) and to eliminate even the slightest possibility of false accusations or misunderstandings, I advise you to have at least one adult female with you at all times. It's just the way things are.

Comment

Man we used to do this every year !
                              Paddle down to Turtle island and camp there, that way day 2 is not so bad.
                              Great bass fishing in all the rapids, especially spots and smallmouth. White road runners Will catch sand bass all day long in the pools between the rapids.
                              Watch out for the Skunk Ape in those hills !

Comment

Working...
                              X