• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ttt

Comment

anyone go out scouting this weekend??

Comment

I am going to try and get some scouting in this week. I have to scout unit 3 and 7

Comment

Here are some google earth links for the units:
          http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges...s/hunting.html

Comment

i hope to do some scouting soon.

Anyone doing the youth hunt this weekend?

Comment

anyone do the youth hunt??

Comment

Where is this place at and are there mulies there? Are you hunting canyons? Sorry I just dont know anything about this place but it sounds pretty good.

Comment

I think it's somewhere around Austin. No mulies.

Comment

It's off of Lake Travis close to Austin, TX. It's the hill country, I am not sure of any real canyons but maybe there are. It looks like nice land in a prime spot in central Texas, yet from everything I have read about others hunts there most people don't do real well. I am setup for a hunt in December, so hopefully that isn't the case when I get there :-).

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      I think it's somewhere around Austin. No mulies.
                      Yeah no mulies, just whitetail and feral hogs

Comment

there are some deep valleys and stuff there. its a fun hunt. did it last year and had to let a nice buck walk since i hadnt killed my doe or pig first. the guy next to me killed a good sized pig there.

Comment

Had a group of 4 guys hunt Balcones this past weekend. We hunted Unit 3. We ended up with 3 does and 1 cull buck. All the deer were taken in the front part of the unit. No one saw any big deer. There was alot of scrapes and rubs everwhere. In the thick areas there were some rubs on 4" to 6" dia trees that were very impressive for the hill country.

Comment

Nice thanks for the update.

Comment

If you have an ATV and drive to a spot where most folks cannot reach, you will have a good chance to see big ones. I hunted at Unit 7 few years ago and drove all the way to the inside (unit I or J). I saw some real big tracks, like cow size. I am sure they were deer's footprint, there were no cow at where I hunt. Saw/spooked lots of deer while scouting or walking to my stand at dark. During legal time, 2 Does gave me couple seconds to shot from 140 yards away, but I missed by shooting without support. Saw a big 10 point too. You can not feed deer or set up ahead, so any things can be happened at any time, it was fun to hunt there.
                              Last edited by cy100; 11-20-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

That is really good news, I wasn't feeling too good about this place based on what I had read from other hunters I could find had posted their results on a Google search. Thanks for the info, I am excited now!

Comment

Working...
                                X