Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leaking around mid section of outboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
    shove some paper towels in the bottom of the cowl and check it every hour or so. You will at least figure out what area on the motor you should be looking. There is no fuel/oil in the midsection so it is coming from somewhere on the powerhead.
    I’ll try that. Thank you. I wasn’t sure what was between there.

Comment

My old Saltwater Series did the same thing it was a bad float in the reservoir sending to much oil. Does it smoke a little during start up?

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
        My old Saltwater Series did the same thing it was a bad float in the reservoir sending to much oil. Does it smoke a little during start up?
        I believe it smokes just a little when I start it. How did you check the float to determine it was bad?

Comment

It just kept getting worse and worse till I took it in. I am horrible with maintenence... Definitely a reactive instead of proactive person but the engine almost had 3000 hours before it blew so it works for me, lol.

Comment

The reservoir float has nothing to do with how much oil is injected into the fuel stream. The is a small oil pump on the motor that does that.. It could make the reservoir over fill and leak out the cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              The reservoir float has nothing to do with how much oil is injected into the fuel stream. The is a small oil pump on the motor that does that.. It could make the reservoir over fill and leak out the cap.
              I beg to differ, I thought the same but the extra pressure in the reservoir sends more oil and the excess spills. I saw it first hand. As soon as I replaced the reservoir it quit smoking.

Comment

I’ll ask a buddy about the verdict he received for his ‘05 motor. Same OX66 has been in the shop in POC for a while and they have yet to figure it out. My FIL and his dad both had/have OX66 motors on there boats, ‘03 and a ‘06. Both had the same exact leak. Same exact spot!! The guys at at El Pescador told my FIL that model has always had that issue but never could resolve it. It’s not a serious leak by any means but enough to make you scratch your head.

Comment

I think its a common issue on those but nothing thats a huge worry.

Clean it up and leave it down for a few days and see if it still leaks?

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                    I’ll ask a buddy about the verdict he received for his ‘05 motor. Same OX66 has been in the shop in POC for a while and they have yet to figure it out. My FIL and his dad both had/have OX66 motors on there boats, ‘03 and a ‘06. Both had the same exact leak. Same exact spot!! The guys at at El Pescador told my FIL that model has always had that issue but never could resolve it. It’s not a serious leak by any means but enough to make you scratch your head.
                    Thank you, you’re right it is kind of weird.

Comment

Ran it again, lower cowling is bone dry. I see oil coming out that hole in the above pic, not a lot but…. Could it be a leak in the gasket that the powerhead sits on?

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post
                        Ran it again, lower cowling is bone dry. I see oil coming out that hole in the above pic, not a lot but…. Could it be a leak in the gasket that the powerhead sits on?
                        If that's the case the oil should be burnt. Nothing goes thru the bottom of the powered except water and exhaust. The oil injection pump is on that side of the motor down towards the bottom of the powerhead. That would be something to check.
                        Last edited by Walker; 08-02-2021, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          If that's the case the oil should be burnt. Nothing goes thru the bottom of the powered except water and exhaust. The oil injection pump is on that side of the motor down towards the bottom of the powerhead. That would be something to check.
                          This sounds right to me.

I don't think its a significant issue but I can relate to the irritation it is causing you.

Comment

Are you sure it's engine oil? Could the tilt trim be leaking?

Comment

Originally posted by darralld View Post
                              Are you sure it's engine oil? Could the tilt trim be leaking?
                              I don't see how. T&T is all below and outside the cowling.

Comment

Working...
                              X