No announcement yet.

Got Shingles any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had them for 10 months in my left arm and hand. Blisters have been gone for months, Calimine lotion for blisters works. Sever pain in arm and hand gone. Now I have 2 numb, tingling, fingers and some hand pain. I just got my first of two shingle shots to keep it from coming back, I hope. The shot has set me back about 2 months. I have been on about everything for pain Med. , not much help. Dr. said if you have had them for 7 of 8 months you will most liky have them for life. I have gotten ust to the pain a little, and try to do what I have done in the past with my hand. No pain management for me, Shot only lasts a short time. I don't want to get my nerve ends burned also.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
      I have had them for 10 months in my left arm and hand. Blisters have been gone for months, Calimine lotion for blisters works. Sever pain in arm and hand gone. Now I have 2 numb, tingling, fingers and some hand pain. I just got my first of two shingle shots to keep it from coming back, I hope. The shot has set me back about 2 months. I have been on about everything for pain Med. , not much help. Dr. said if you have had them for 7 of 8 months you will most liky have them for life. I have gotten ust to the pain a little, and try to do what I have done in the past with my hand. No pain management for me, Shot only lasts a short time. I don't want to get my nerve ends burned also.
      Shingles for life isn't accurate. Its permanent nerve damage caused by shingles Its called PHN (postherpetic neuralgia). Perhaps thats what he's referring to?

Comment

I was told icy hot or Ben gay helps relieve the pain. I’ve never had it just what I heard

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
          I was told icy hot or Ben gay helps relieve the pain. I’ve never had it just what I heard
          I tried that. No relief for me at all....I guess it depends on the severity.

Comment

I have had them twice...around my rib cage. Terrible pain. My wife and I got the vaccine a few yers ago.

I don't recall what I was given, if anything, when I had my 2 cases of the virus.

I strongly recommend that folks who have had chicken pox get the vaccine..along with the Covid vaccine!

Comment

Originally posted by HappyM View Post
              I had the vaccine and still got it. Was on my right arm and I spent a fair amount of time with my arm in the freezer to calm the burning. Go to the doc and they will give you Valtrex or equivalent and in about a week you will be fine. Feel for ya as that stuff is horrible.
              Same happened with my healthy Ma-in-law 2 years ago. Shingles vaccinated and immediately got shingles. Mild case but she was peeved.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                Shingles for life isn't accurate. Its permanent nerve damage caused by shingles Its called PHN (postherpetic neuralgia). Perhaps thats what he's referring to?
                What ever. The pain won't go away. Have you had it in your arm and hand? How about Neuropathy, that is what I have been told I have by several Doctors..

Comment

Valtrex, Ibuprofen 800 and Gabapentin.

A few weeks ago Kevin and I were at the ranch in Stonewall when I kept saying I felt like a cactus needle was in my back. On the way home, it got worse and worse. I literally woke up that night thinking....crap....this is the beginning of shingles. I went to the dermatologist and caught it early. I had a rash on the side of my back, but never broke out....THANK GOODNESS! I'm just now getting to where I don't feel the pins and needles effect in my back. Definitely a miserably painful illness. Can't imagine what it would be like when you break out.

I see you got Gabapentin...it takes the edge off the nerve pain. That should help.
                  Last edited by Mary; 07-25-2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Your lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                      What ever. The pain won't go away. Have you had it in your arm and hand? How about Neuropathy, that is what I have been told I have by several Doctors..
                      I have had PHN for 2 years now after my shingles. Gabapentin 600mg 2x a day takes care of it. Left torso from the breastplate around to the spine.

Comment

Just pray that you don’t ever get it on your man-hood like I did. The doctor of course thought it was an STD at first, which I knew there was 0% chance of that. When the results came back for shingles, he could not believe it. That was probably the worst month of my life. Luckily I don’t think any severe long term damage occurred.

I’m still young, so I’m praying it doesn’t come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I still have scars from a serious case of them back in 1978. There is a shot they can give that will dry them up real quick.
                          Yes they are painful as kidney stones, just in a different way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My sister got the shingles vaccine and developed Guillain Barre syndrome, she is in pretty bad shape now. No cure for it. Not sure I want either.
                            Last edited by critter69; 07-25-2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Now I am on Pregabalin some help.

Comment

Get with your doctor and monitor this please. It can get in and behind your eye. This would be devastating. It happened to my dad. They spent a year just trying to save his eye and he did loose his sight in that eye.

Comment

Working...
                                X