No announcement yet.

A frustrating thing about getting older

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW, I thought it was just me! I have been struggling with this for a year now, I have hired out more things in the last year than I have in my entire life! When I hit 55 last year I started noticing it was much harder to do a lot of projects that I have always done on my own. I used to be able to read 64'th's on my 6" scale now I am lucky to read 1/16'th's.

Comment

Never thought I’d be sleeping with a man. Going to bed and waking up with Arthur Itis. Really blows.

Comment

I feel your pain

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          I've always prided myself in being handy around the house. Maybe it is because I have been a desk-jockey work wise that I've felt the need to release my inner "blue-collar man" at home. (It also gives me an excuse to collect tools.) I've steadfastly refused to pay someone to make repairs that I can do - or figure out how to do - myself. Father Time has started tapping me on the shoulder lately to say "you're gonna have to call somebody". It started the last time I tried to get on the roof. The most recent episode was yesterday when I was going to replace the faucet fixture on a bathroom sink. Simple, right? I've done it many times. I found however that I no longer have the flexibility required to turn myself into the pretzel required to squeeze my upper body into a sink cabinet. Then while laying on my back looking up to remove the supply lines my positional vertigo kicked in, the world started spinning and I got stuck for a few minutes. When I finally extricated myself I had to go lie down to keep from throwing up. So now I am going to make some plumber's truck payment for about 30 minutes of work.
          Im 6 ft 4 and about 250 from lifting weights. I couldn’t crawl under my sink and get much done in my 30s. The roof? I have only owned 2 story homes and my CBA stopped me from getting up that high without fall arrest in my 30s also.

Comment

Dang Jerp....good on you for the dedicated attempt man. I'm 43 and noticed my vision is just slightly less sharper. My dad said that's how it all starts. Hang in there buddy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Getting older is not for sissys. The golden years: all your gold goes to doctors (and plumbers)

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                I've always prided myself in being handy around the house. Maybe it is because I have been a desk-jockey work wise that I've felt the need to release my inner "blue-collar man" at home.
                The worst part is that Jerp is only 33 years old...

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                  The worst part is that Jerp is only 33 years old...
                  There are still a few things I can still do like a 33 year old, but that list is pretty short

Comment

Soon to be 64 y.o. aqui. I relish the opportunity to spread some wealth around and stimulate the economy. There are a lot of things i can do, that i choose not to. My dad, 95 in December, is the opposite. He still insists on trying to do anything and everything he can by himself. By his 94.5 y.o., weighs about half of what he used to, can't walk without stumbling around like a wino because he refuses to use a cane or walker because of vanity, dang self. To the point that last summer he nearly stroked out in the heat on the yard tractor trying to mow his 2.5 acres. Most recently he decided to mow again, against my wishes and instructions (he got out when no one was around), wrecked the tractor while mowing a tree limb he didn't see. I / we love him, but sometimes you've got to make concessions to age and diminished ability. I've got a brother that is staying with him that has begun to hire a yard service. None of us want to spend time mowing 2.5 acres when we can get it done of a nominal price and spare our weekends.

So, yes Father Time comes calling for all of us. But i'm going to do what i can to enjoy life and not be burdened by all the things that i can't do any longer. As long as i'm limber enough to crawl in and out of a tripod and draw a bow, i'll be good. And agreed to a lot of what has been said above, getting old is not for sissies. Stay in your lane and enjoy the ride. Good times.

Comment

I remember when I gave in. I just realized a person doing those types of jobs for a living had a much better chance at doing a good job than I would.

I did some light remodel/demo work after HS for a Summer and it was just not something I ever enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                        Getting older is not for sissys. The golden years: all your gold goes to doctors (and plumbers)
                        And the shame of it all is……all plumbers have to know is that payday is Friday, quitting time is five o’clock, crap runs downhill, and never chew your fingernails……

Comment

I can relate......

Comment

I feel your pain, installed a new faucet in our bathroom and took 3 days to recover.

Comment

I find myself using wheels, levers, pulleys, etc. ( and 20 & 30yo sons) more now

"Smarter not harder"

Comment

With my size, width, diameter and weight, I don't fit in places like, under sinks very well, never have. I get elected for those jobs, it's very difficult to work in small places. Then with my back laid across the cabinet opening, it makes my back feel wonderful. Then not being able to move my arms around much, really sets me off, after a while. I really hate working in confined spaces. It's a lot like working under the dash of a car. I have figured out pull the front seat or seats out, then I have some 1/2" plywood cut to fit where the front seats would go. Mustangs have a crossmember welded to the floor pan, that goes across under the front edge of of the front seats. Then there are two studs sticking up out of that crossmember on either side.
                                If I have to work under a dash very long, I will pull both front seats and the console, so I have plenty of room to move around and not break anything. My wife likes to point out how I don't work well with plastic, or around plastic. So I have to remove anything that might get in my way, when I am moving around.

I had to crawl under our sink a while back to change out the filters on our water filter. I dreaded that for quite a while. I remember how much fun it was getting under the sink a couple years ago, to install that water filter.

My wife would fit under the sink so much easier and she does not break fragile things like plastic pieces like I have a tendency to do. I keep thinking about suggesting she get under the sink and fix the plumbing problems, instead of me. I know how that will go.

Comment

Working...
                                X